DD conviction and returning to work

Evening folks, want your thoughts - I know a driver who was banned for 17 months for being twice the limit a couple of years ago or just less.

Served his ban and then went straight back to work with his original outfit as an HGV driver.

So, two questions.

First would anybody insure him and, second would our local TC be informed.

I always thought a drink/drive conviction was a massive no-no, 10 years before you would be considered for truck driving employment.

Many thanks in advance.

Socketset:
Evening folks, want your thoughts - I know a driver who was banned for 17 months for being twice the limit a couple of years ago or just less.

Served his ban and then went straight back to work with his original outfit as an HGV driver.

So, two questions.

I always thought a drink/drive conviction was a massive no-no, 10 years before you would be considered for truck driving employment.

Many thanks in advance.

Well if he went back to work for the company he was at then yes they got him covered on insurance. Most places won’t touch a DD conviction until it is fully spent.

I’d imagine he has still had to jump through a lot of hoops though to even go back to his old job.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Socketset:
First would anybody insure him

Insurance is…

All about money and nothing to do with morals. As long as the raised premium is paid, he’ll get insured. It’s unlikely to happen again so, the risk to the insurance company is minimal.

Put it another way, if there isn’t a profit, insurance companies aren’t interested.

yourhavingalarf:

Socketset:
First would anybody insure him

Insurance is…

All about money and nothing to do with morals. As long as the raised premium is paid, he’ll get insured. It’s unlikely to happen again so, the risk to the insurance company is minimal.

Put it another way, if there isn’t a profit, insurance companies aren’t interested.

What’s the moral aspect?

You do the crime you do the time.

Assuming he did both and has been up front, insurance will cover him.

And rightly so

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:
What’s the moral aspect?

You do the crime you do the crime.

Assuming he did both and has been up front, insurance will cover him.

And rightly so

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I agree…

He’s entitled to be insured if he fits the criteria and the premium is paid.

Socketset:

He would have had to appear in front of the TC to get his HGV entitlement back, I believe the standard procedure is that the DVLA inform the TC that he’s applied for his HGV licence to be renewed and the TC will invite him to appear in from of him/her to explain why he should get his HGV entitlement back.

As he’s working as a HGV driver again he’s obviously jumped through the hoops successfully, as far as I’m aware if he never had a serious accident whilst over the limit and he’s only got one DD conviction it’s pretty much a case of going through the procedure to keep the TC happy.

As for the insurance, it’s all been said above, either his boss thinks enough of him to pay any extra premium or he’s come to an agreement with his boss to pay the extra himself.

As has been said he’s done the time and hopefully learned from it so good luck to the driver.

The operator should have notified the TC upon conviction of the driver. If they didn’t, two things may happen- if DVSA/TC fund they weren’t notified the operator could be brought up for questions and driver would expect to be called to a driver conduct hearing. My guess is neither operator or driver told TC.

Why does someone’s DD conviction interest you so much?

Yards that pay less, tend to look the other way more, I would have thought…

Most reputable employers will have “No DD/DR need apply” on their adverts, wether for full time or agency. :neutral_face:

You’d think they’d ask for 0-3 points (not 6-9!) and no CD on licence… :confused:

…Imagine giving a job to someone with 9 points and a CD90 that rolled off a year ago… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

its amazed me how many drink drivers there are. Think about it,those folk you see in the supermarket with mainly booze in the trolley theyre going to drink n drive .Years back a supervisor was arriving for his shift 2pm till 10 and old bill followed him into the yard he was 3 times the limit .The drinkers really hate folk that are teetotal and are Always hostile to them i dont know why.I spose they can rely on other drinkers to cover for them

tachograph:

Socketset:

He would have had to appear in front of the TC to get his HGV entitlement back, I believe the standard procedure is that the DVLA inform the TC that he’s applied for his HGV licence to be renewed and the TC will invite him to appear in from of him/her to explain why he should get his HGV entitlement back.

As he’s working as a HGV driver again he’s obviously jumped through the hoops successfully, as far as I’m aware if he never had a serious accident whilst over the limit and he’s only got one DD conviction it’s pretty much a case of going through the procedure to keep the TC happy.

As for the insurance, it’s all been said above, either his boss thinks enough of him to pay any extra premium or he’s come to an agreement with his boss to pay the extra himself.

As has been said he’s done the time and hopefully learned from it so good luck to the driver.

This. The TC will have approved it, it’s not automatic

switchlogic:

tachograph:

Socketset:

This. The TC will have approved it, it’s not automatic

No one on this forum is perfect, he’s done his punishment give him a chance, he’d be getting plenty stick on here if he was lying back and letting the state keep him. Regards Kev.

Most vehicle insurance companies will ask three relevant questions of a driver.

1. Have you been convicted of any drink or drugs prosecutions in the last 5 years?
    Dangerous Driving or Drink Driving may remain on your record, we do not carry a paper copy anymore.

2. Have you ever been refused or declined insurance?

3. Have you any pending motoring prosecutions?