dcpc

am I right in thinking that if you were collecting/repairing/selling /delivering old and repaired pallets you don’t need one…

cliffystephens:
am I right in thinking that if you were collecting/repairing/selling /delivering old and repaired pallets you don’t need one…

DCPC needed

Why would you think that ■■?

nick2008:

The driving is an essential part of the job not just an incidental part

ROG:

nick2008:

ROG, i think nick2008 is referring to the OP :wink:

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

nick2008:

As his post was after mine I thought it was directed at my answer

DCPC is for hire or reward.

but if you purchase the pallets they become your property and assuming you maybe only take them back to your yard for repair. could the main part of your job… be in your yard bit like these scaffolder guys…

I understand it to be for any driver that is delivering goods for reward …etc scaffolders don’t need dcpc because they are transporting their own goods then collecting them on completion of the job and not selling the scaffold to a 3rd party…

Hire and reward doesn’t enter into it. Driving “professionally” does. So the scaffold errector who drives the truck to site, errects scaffolding and then goes to another site to do the same or return to the yard apparently is exempt from dcpc. But if the same bloke delivers scaffolding at one site, then another, then eg collects from another and then returns to yard he is a “professional” driver.

The pallet question is interesting. I can see the argument both ways. If the driver is a pallet repairer and is collecting pallets for him to take and repair, then I can see he could be exempt. But the moment he delivers repaired pallets that have been sold to another customer, he needs driver cpc. I wouldn’t ever want to be the guy who makes the decision that someone is definitely exempt unless it is clearly stated in the rules.

The hard fact is this. There is a little bit of information been given. We now have to wait for prosecutions to really find out how the rules will be interpreted. Until this has happened, my advice is to hold the dcpc. You cannot possibly be wrong then.

Pete

yes peter am quite liking that answer…cheers guys…

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

nick2008:

Gotta keep him on his toes Spanky :unamused:

I think the only circumstances under which you could argue for an exemption would be if you loaded your truck with wood, nails and tools, then drove it to a customer, and repaired the pallets for him on the spot.

If you are buying damaged pallets, taking them back to base, repairing them and delivering them to a new owner that’s definitely going to need DCPC.