DCPC

Just a quick question, mainly for the night lads but would welcome all input thanks.

As a night worker I work Monday to Friday and finish on a Saturday morning, spend a bit of time in bed on Saturday, have my only full day off on the Sunday and am back in work (albeit at night) on Monday. This weekend, however, I have to go into work all day Sunday to do another module towards my CPC course, potentially meaning that, at some point, I’m in work for 13 days on the run. This CPC course is unpaid by the way.

Speaking to drivers from another company that park units in our yard, they get a night off in lieu and full pay for the day they spend on their CPC course and just wondered what the general consensus was with the rest of you. I was under the impression when they first brought the DCPC out that it was to be incorporated into work time.

Apologies in advance if I don’t reply straight away but I’ll be leaving for work shortly

If you’re attending voluntarily then you can do it in a rest period, if work are telling you to attend, then it can’t be done in a rest period

I think it should always be paid for and you should be paid and do it on 1 of your normal work days, but the above is the legal answer

stevieboy308:
If you’re attending voluntarily then you can do it in a rest period, if work are telling you to attend, then it can’t be done in a rest period

I think it should always be paid for and you should be paid and do it on 1 of your normal work days, but the above is the legal answer

Thanks stevieboy, that’s obviously how they’re getting round it. They put a list of dates up and we just have to decide which ones to go on, they don’t actually say, “on such and such a day you will be in for the cpc course”.

Like you, I still think it should be paid though

Saturday is ot. I got t x2 for doing mine

jbaz73:

I’d be happy just getting paid for it. Doing it on my only full day off is bad enough, doing it for nothing is like a kick in the nads :cry:

Have you tried arguing with them. You need CPC in order to do your job hence company responsibility to train their employees in all aspects etc etc?

You never know, might be worth a try

woody2808:

jbaz73:

I’d be happy just getting paid for it. Doing it on my only full day off is bad enough, doing it for nothing is like a kick in the nads :cry:

Sorry, I just read that, I sounded like a smug git. I was surprised, I thought I was doing it for free. Didn’t care, I got a module and didn’t have to fork out 80 quid. As far as I was concerned I was a winner. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I got paid.

jbaz73:

woody2808:

jbaz73:

Sorry, I just read that, I sounded like a smug git. I was surprised, I thought I was doing it for free. Didn’t care, I got a module and didn’t have to fork out 80 quid. As far as I was concerned I was a winner. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I got paid.

You don’t half sound like a smug git! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Not only do I not get paid - but I have to fork out for this unless I do cycling lessons again!

Now you are going to rub it in and say you have tonight and the weekend off? I’m in at 10 then tomorrow midnight and sunday 8pm. Living the dream I am!

No, my friend, I’m in tonight. Friday is ot for me for the next couple of months.

Cycling lessons? For the cpc? Has the world gone mad?

My company pay for ours and we get paid for the time. Also, although it’s done in the day, we get night premium and relevant nights off to cater for rest

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

jbaz73:
No, my friend, I’m in tonight. Friday is ot for me for the next couple of months.

Cycling lessons? For the cpc? Has the world gone mad?

I’m embarrassed to say I learnt a fair amount on my safe urban driving cycling proficiency cpc day. And it was free (well you have to pay for the upload).

Hope your night was better than mine mate. Managed to set off alarms in a store doing a delivery - called transport told me to ignore it. 10 mins later I had three police cars and coppers shouting at me. Turned out okay when I explained I was dumping stuff there rather than robbing - but was a bit embarrassing.

It’s a driver responsibility to have a DCPC card, so it’s natural to be disappointed when we hear about other employers paying for it whilst giving drivers full pay and a day off etc, but if your employer decides not too then it’s tough ■■■■■■■!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might decide the situation is unacceptable, and find an employer who will train you in ‘his’ time. One year to go.
And, no, DCPC carries on after Brexit.

It’s the old story really. A company that values its staff and wants to ensure it is compliant will provide the service. If you’re just a tool in their toolbox they tell you to get on with it.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Boss “asked” if I was still ok to do dcpc said ok then he told me the date ah so plans I had may have to be changed slightly

We are not getting paid for it but he does pay for the course & all 5 of us are on the course this includes the boss he said he will buy lunch as long as on menu

Was planing on going up to watch Simon doing the kilt walk round Edinburgh on Sunday morning

we work nights monday to friday, usually finish about 4.30am saturday.
our company book us off friday night and do cpc early doors, 7am saturday .
all paid saturday rate as well.

good_friend:
Have you tried arguing with them. You need CPC in order to do your job hence company responsibility to train their employees in all aspects etc etc?

Tried that, if you don’t like it go somewhere else and pay through the nose for it was the answer :unamused:

woody2808:

good_friend:

Tried that, if you don’t like it go somewhere else and pay through the nose for it was the answer :unamused:

Then if another job offer ever comes up don’t lose any sleep telling them you’re off.

P Stoff:

woody2808:

good_friend:

Then if another job offer ever comes up don’t lose any sleep telling them you’re off.

That goes without saying mate, I wouldn’t lose sleep over any job anyway [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk