DCPC Your Experiences Good and Bad

Let us have the bull that some of these trainers come up with and the good courses too.

Here’s mine

Course I had on Tuesday, had a few things wrong such as:

Number of accidents involving goods vehicles (some Daily Mail type scare story to do with cyclists), when trainer questioned as to whether these figures included ALL goods vehicles or just LGVs he couldn’t answer nor could he (or his supervisor) answer as to who blame was apportioned to. He soon shut up when we were shown several slides of cyclists that had gone under and he asked who was to blame, 20 hairy blokes and one woman answered in unison “THE CYCLIST”

You now have to carry the current week + 28 days worth of charts.

If you lose your digicard you have to scroll to driver1 printout to do a printout, I didn’t think this was possible unless you have your card in which btw is lost.

The one thing I was disturbed at was the use of ariel footage of the M5 crash (the one where 2 Samworth Bros vehicles involved last November) to try and get the road safety message across and very heavy hinting (whether correct or not) that the HGVs were travelling too close. I don’t believe the inquests for the deceased have been concluded nor blame apportioned yet!

This course brushed over many topics not in much detail, from customer service to use of tachographs, was poorly done and was very biased against HGV drivers, all from a driver trainer, assessor & ADI for 19 years. Purely a box ticking course I think.

The one I had on Saturday however was fantastic, on first aid at Viamaster in Leeds, 8 burly truckers rolling around on the floor in stitches (pun intended), brilliant, and we all actually learnt a thing or two.

The other I had a couple of months ago on Driver hours and tachos, whilst not nearly as much fun, was properly done the trainer knew his content and couldn’t be caught out :grimacing: , he answered questions correctly and concisely, with a couple of drivers walking away with a little more confidence and from what was inferred a bit more knowledge than their manager.

I am constantly surprised at how many trucks tailgate even when there is plenty of room to spread out!!!

i am amazed at the amount of times im forced to tailgate when other trucks pull in front so close they nearly take the mirrors off!!!
i had a wagon and drag carrying 2 20ft contianers forced me onto the hard shoulder of the m11 last week…i think he forgot he was pulling a trailer?
as for the cpc in 14 hours training i have only learned 1 new thing so i guess they would call it successful?

Our trainer, in house. Says you can drive a digital motor without owning a digital card if you do a manual on a chart or digital paper. I couldn’t look him in the eyes after that

The course i was on yesterday was brilliant. No mistakes. Completely factual and correct. Amusing and entertaining. Complete success and I think I’ll do it again tomorrow

Did I mention I was the trainer? Not sure what all the other lads thought :smiley:

Driver Welfare: Do yourself a favour and don’t do this course. Guessing the calories in fast food, WTF has this got to do with driving?
If my transfer to quarry from haulage goes through, I’m hoping the necessary courses can count toward DCPC (EPIC do plant and wagon training).