but what if you drive a 3.5t with a towbar
or tow a trailer part time

If it’s for profit/gain you will need the DCPC

Don’t think so, B+E is 3.5t + trailer, nothing about that in dCPC

Periodic Driver CPC
Periodic training for current LGV and PCV licence holders of
bus (PCV) licence categories: D1, D1+E, D, D+E

truck (LGV) licence categories: C1, C1+E, C, C+E

I thought B+E is where the weight of the vehicle and trailer combination is no more than 3.5t? Otherwise it would surely be C1+E? Whatever the circumstance, anything over 3.5t should be in legislation with EU driving hours, on tacho and if driven commercially then DCPC applies.

Tarrman:
I thought B+E is where the weight of the vehicle and trailer combination is no more than 3.5t? Otherwise it would surely be C1+E? Whatever the circumstance, anything over 3.5t should be in legislation with EU driving hours, on tacho and if driven commercially then DCPC applies.

Although you still only need a B+E licence, to drive it, as this hasn’t been given as part of the standard driving test since 1997 so more and more of those who hold it will have had to have taken a separate test.
And for a combination to be driven commercially it need a tachograph, O’licence in most cases and I assume the drivers will come under EU hours regs when they are driving it.

Tarrman:

No, B is upto 3.5t +E is trailer over 750kg

muckles:

Tarrman:

Although you still only need a B+E licence, to drive it, as this hasn’t been given as part of the standard driving test since 1997 so more and more of those who hold it will have had to have taken a separate test.
And for a combination to be driven commercially it need a tachograph, O’licence in most cases and I assume the drivers will come under EU hours regs when they are driving it.

Does that mean it comes under dCPC or not though, because looking on dCPC, it only says C1/D1 upwards, which B+E isn’t.

waynedl:

Tarrman:

muckles:

Tarrman:

Does that mean it comes under dCPC or not though, because looking on dCPC, it only says C1/D1 upwards, which B+E isn’t.

As far as I understand no it wouldn’t, as as you point you only need a B+E licence.

waynedl:
Periodic Driver CPC

This as the criteria is category of vehicle not weight.

mrpj:

waynedl:
Periodic Driver CPC

This as the criteria is category of vehicle not weight.

hitch:
drivers over 3.5t need a Dcpc
but what if you drive a 3.5t with a towbar
or tow a trailer part time

:unamused:

Forget the trailer and total combination weights folks because the dcpc is not based on those

Dcpc is based on the commercial driving of certain categories of VEHICLES

If the VEHICLE (not trailer etc) is in one of those listed categories and is being used commercially then the driver needs dcpc

Fair doo’s, I was getting mixed up with another topic. Can see the government making a fortune out of this DCPC, should make up for all the losses they’ve made in making people quit smoking/drinking and buying Eco-friendly cars etc etc.

waynedl:

Tarrman:

I was thinking of just Cat B towing a trailer over 750kg as long as the total weight combination isn’t more than 3.5t. Blummin confusing all these regulations and legislations and exceptions etc!

Tarrman:

waynedl:

Tarrman:

I was thinking of just Cat B towing a trailer over 750kg as long as the total weight combination isn’t more than 3.5t. Blummin confusing all these regulations and legislations and exceptions etc!

Tell me about it, I got pulled YEARS ago for pulling a caravan on my post 1997 licence for it being over 750kg, so I apologised and never towed 1 again until I passed my C+E, turns out the copper was wrong :open_mouth: