DCPC with a catch

Ive heard on the grapevine a large operator has said to their driving trainers

‘‘its the real deal now we need to see results’’

‘‘why are we still having accidents with all this training’’

‘‘you trainers need to justify your jobs’’

So as part of the in house dcpc this coming year, half is in class half is practical. If you get 3 minor faults on your drive you get suspended until you can get a full days assessment. If you fail that who knows?

Is this a way to get rid of the rotten apples? A worrying development? Or do you agree with this stance?

As i said on the grapevine from a friend so there may be a element of bull who knows :confused:

At first glance it seems ok but what is to be deemed as a minor fault and to what standard are the assessors ■■

Is the drive to be based on the DSA test marking sheet, the advanced test standard or some made up criteria ?

Dont know rog the trainers are dsa registered so i assume dsa classed faults like a driving test, so missing mirror checks at junctions and what not.

Given the absolutely appalling standards of old timers who apparently think they’re better than everyone else cos they can rope and sheet I think more companies need to do this.

If you can’t drive to a decent standard on a short test drive should you really be on the road at all?

merc0447:
Dont know rog the trainers are dsa registered so i assume dsa classed faults like a driving test, so missing mirror checks at junctions and what not.

That could be a concern because its a different style of driving to what most do

I would say that advanced driving styles are closer to what a good LGV driver should be doing and that is from experience of assisting LGV driver to pass the advanced test … in other words I did not have to do a lot :smiley:

Conor:
Given the absolutely appalling standards of old timers who apparently think they’re better than everyone else cos they can rope and sheet I think more companies need to do this.

That’s not right! - we DON’T think we’re better than everyone else, we KNOW we’re better!!

Steve…sits back and waits.

Ste46:

Conor:

That’s not right! - we DON’T think we’re better than everyone else, we KNOW we’re better!!

Steve…sits back and waits.

to be honest the last assessor I had had only been driving 5 years and only ever driven an artic fully loaded with 26 pallets of crisps :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: and to add insult I couldn’t drive the new trucks till I had been past out on them :open_mouth: quite funny since I was the one that brought them all down from the main depot to our depot so when I was given the task the boss was quite :blush: when I told him I couldn’t do my night trunk … :laughing:

I had my assessment last week with Maritime, the assessor was a young lad, very good in my opinion, knew his stuff, I passed, and he said to me “You have probably been driving longer than I have been alive”, I said that’s true, 35 years driving.

Sapper

Conor:

If you can’t drive to a decent standard on a short test drive should you really be on the road at all?

You could always learn to rope and sheet, then you could think your better than everybody else.

it shouldnt matter if the assessor is young
not even holding a licence shouldnt be a bar.
if the assessor feels safe its job done