DCPC views

We have been asked to run a poll asking for your views on two questions regarding the DCPC

Q1
Do you believe the Government will extend the Sept 2014 deadline for Driver CPC accreditation for truckers?

Q2
Do you believe that the Government’s Driver CPC training initiative will make you a better, more informed driver?

Please vote above- you have two votes one for each question :bulb:

I voted no to both questions.

I doubt the government will postpone the September 2014 deadline and I doubt the DCPC will make many people better or significantly more informed drivers.

I’m not against vocational training but the way the EU have decided that the DCPC should be run is a pointless waste of time and money.

It’s often referred to as a money making exercise for a reason :wink:

+1 with the last reply

I do wonder if those that voted other than no have a personal or business agenda…

Pity there isn’t scope for more questions eg:

When you attend a course, do you expect it to be a waste of time?

What enquiries were made regarding the quality of the training?

Was the booking made on price?

Personally, I happen to think that good content, professionally delivered is very worth while. The problem comes that this particular sector has been swamped with colleges and their like who are familiar with teaching technique but are blessed with very little industry knowlege or experience. So I am inclined to agree that there are plenty of opportunities to waste time/money and opportunity at present.

The bar should be raised substantially to ensure that the people who are delivering the training are actually in a position to do so. Some sort of test or exam should be compulsory with a pass/fail. That way we wouldn’t have to sign a certificate for someone who has attended, albeit with their eyes shut for much of the time having just come off a night shift.

Having signed in at the start of the day, the conversation in the reception area is invariably about what a waste of time it is, “what are they going to teach me, after all, I’ve been driving for 20 years”. At the end of the day, around half the drivers will approach the trainer, privately, and thank him for his day’s work. Rarely will this happen within their peer group. Pride I suppose.

But, for as long as the powers that be are content with the standard of LGV training in general, why should we think that this will improve.

But for drivers out there who haven’t yet got it done, there is plenty of opportunity to get proper training at sensible rates. Just ask the right questions instead of just price.

Both JAUPT and DSA are making visits more frequently and, looking at the URTU case, do actually have teeth. The last visit we had the only adverse comment was that the room was a little bit on the warm side. Not too bad in the middle of winter!

I feel so much better now!! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Personally I can see an argument for some sort of testing but fail to see any reason for compulsory training attendance, surely the object of the exercise is to show that the drivers knowledge is up-to scratch which could be done with home study and a reasonably short multi-choice type test.

This would be less expensive and less disruptive for the drivers and transport companies alike.

Personally I think they will extend it if the take-up is not sufficient by the deadline. What’s the alternative, empty supermarket shelves and civil unrest? So I voted “Yes” to that.

And I’ve no personal interest in saying that, I’ve got my whole 35 hours booked for this month and already paid for.

As for the second part I voted No, but I’ll let you know if I change my mind when I’ve done it. It is a Mickey Mouse course because you could go to sleep in the corner all day if you wanted, so long as you are in that classroom for 7 hours you get the module.

I wonder what the fine will be for the UK Govt by the EU parliament if they ignore the current deadline?

Another thought - Any UK driver after 09/09/2014 would not be allowed to continue driving in another EU state without a DQC

ROG:
I wonder what the fine will be for the UK Govt by the EU parliament if they ignore the current deadline?

Rog, the actual EU deadline is 2015/6. Only the UK have set 2013/4 for the implimentation

truckerjon:

ROG:

Rog, the actual EU deadline is 2015/6. Only the UK have set 2013/4 for the implimentation

Do you have a link to that information ?

Directive 2003/59/EC clearly states that the initial CPC should start September 2008/2009 and as far as I can see the acquired rights only exempt us from the initial CPC.

Article 14

Transposition and implementation

1. Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations
    and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this
    Directive before 10 September 2006. They shall forthwith
    inform the Commission thereof.
    When Member States adopt these measures, they shall contain
    a reference to this Directive or shall be accompanied by such
    reference on the occasion of their official publication. The
    methods of making such reference shall be laid down by
    Member States.

2. Member States shall apply these measures:
– from 10 September 2008 as regards the initial qualification
required to drive vehicles in licence categories D1, D1+E, D
and D+E;
– from 10 September 2009 as regards the initial qualification
required to drive vehicles in licence categories C1, C1+E, C
and C+E.

ROG:

The government isn’t ignoring the legislation, but drivers aren’t taking the course. Perhaps, as inflation is high and wages are static at best and generally falling, drivers don’t have the money for them.

Obviously, if 50% of drivers have not taken the DCPC by the cut-off date, neither the UK government nor the eu will take 50% of trucks off of the road.

To Q1. Why would they extend the deadline when they have already given us 5 yrs to complete training.

To Q2. No it won’t make me a better driver or more informed driver, because IMO the current DCPC format is a joke. Far too easy to gain your DCPC. It has the potential to make us better drivers if the system is overhauled, which I would welcome.

Can honestly say I won’t be doing this DCPC thing, maybe I’m one of the lucky ones, because come 2014 I certainly don’t want to be on the road anymore, (I’ll be 70) still got my licence (50 years and not even a tea stain on it) and aim to keep it going till then, but then that’s it, reading some of the threads on here and all the problems and obstacles being put in the drivers way by people who like to call themselves transport managers all because they went on a course and have a piece of paper that say they are, and more so their minions who we used to call traffic clerks but like to be called transport supervisors or some such, with all this c…p going on how is the driver supposed to do what his one aim should be and that is concentrating on his driving and the safety of others on the road and getting the job done as professionally as possible.
Do I sound bitter? I suppose I am because I’m watching an Industry that I’m very proud of going to the dogs through useless and unnecessary legislation being allowed to be imposed on it, all supposedly in the name of progress, when legislators give companies the means of making drivers do more and more hours behind the wheel with nobody standing up and saying enough’s enough, that’s not progress. I think I’m giving myself a headache I’ll have to open that other bottle of Calvados and test it’s ok, all the best.

Ossie

tachograph:

truckerjon:

ROG:

Do you have a link to that information ?

Directive 2003/59/EC clearly states that the initial CPC should start September 2008/2009 and as far as I can see the acquired rights only exempt us from the initial CPC.

Article 14

Transposition and implementation

1. Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations
    and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this
    Directive before 10 September 2006. They shall forthwith
    inform the Commission thereof.
    When Member States adopt these measures, they shall contain
    a reference to this Directive or shall be accompanied by such
    reference on the occasion of their official publication. The
    methods of making such reference shall be laid down by
    Member States.

2. Member States shall apply these measures:
– from 10 September 2008 as regards the initial qualification
required to drive vehicles in licence categories D1, D1+E, D
and D+E;
– from 10 September 2009 as regards the initial qualification
required to drive vehicles in licence categories C1, C1+E, C
and C+E.

I have the link, but my pc is having a hissy fit, and the file is saved on there. Basically the EU gave us 2 choices, one was when to start it, the other was whether to have an exam at the end, we voted for the shortest period and as an attendance only class.

For PCV, The Europeans have to be qualified by Sept 2015
HGV have to be ready for 2016

The wording in the regulation was something like; “Within a 7 year period”

ROG:

You come out with some right crap. They havn’t ignored any deadline, infact they’ve done the opposite, they published a deadline.

ROG:
+1 with the last reply

I do wonder if those that voted other than no have a personal or business agenda…

And i’d wonder that too if i was sat on my arse checking the internet everyday because i was unemployed and had been for years with no sign of me working again even in a capacity as an internet rules expert. In the real world however i’d hope that anyone who has voted does have a personal or business agenda, they’d be known as ‘stakeholders’ or in old fashioned terms…concerned parties. Unlike someone who has had no participation with any employment for five years or more…

Vehicle and load safety,
Drivers hours regs and road safety,
First Aid.
All good modules and relevant.
Most of the other crap is pointless.

Mike-C:

ROG:

You come out with some right crap. They havn’t ignored any deadline, infact they’ve done the opposite, they published a deadline.

Mike-C

ROG wrote :
I wonder what the fine will be for the UK Govt by the EU parliament if they ignored the current deadline, I think the operative word was IF.
They seem to be doing U turns on everything else.

Ossie

OssieD:
I think the operative word was IF.

Ossie

Oh right, just for amusement would you care to mention the last two EU regulations that the UK incorporated into its legislation and then done a U turn on?

Mike-C:

OssieD:
I think the operative word was IF.

Ossie

Oh right, just for amusement would you care to mention the last two EU regulations that the UK incorporated into its legislation and then done a U turn on?

Give them time

Ossie