DCPC time & WTD

Some of the drivers at my depot (not me though) are doing a days cpc on Saturday. It’s on company premises, and is free with a company trainer but they aren’t being paid for the day.

Does the time spent doing this count towards the 60 hour limit, and should it be programmed in with a manual entry on the next working day?

If I wasn’t getting paid I wouldn’t go in

Grumpy Dad:

So rather than go in and sit about for a few hours talking nonsense and hoovering up as much free tea and choccy biscuits as possible, you’d rather use a days holiday plus the cost of the course from your own pocket to do it yourself?

You’re really sticking it to the man there mate.

If it does or does not - that is not a worry for a driver - just the employer
Authorities aint bothered

Grumpy Dad:

And come September you’d be sat there at home unpaid unable to work losing much more than a day’s wage, you could even lose as much as a month depending on the availability of places on DCPC courses in September. I know when I did mine the week after the September 2014 deadline for those who had it under grandfather rights that the courses were booked solid.

Conor:

Grumpy Dad:

And come September you’d be sat there at home unpaid unable to work losing much more than a day’s wage, you could even lose as much as a month depending on the availability of places on DCPC courses in September. I know when I did mine the week after the September 2014 deadline for those who had it under grandfather rights that the courses were booked solid.

not necessarily, it’s not what you know but who you know… :wink: :smiley:

harrawaffa:

Grumpy Dad:

So rather than go in and sit about for a few hours talking nonsense and hoovering up as much free tea and choccy biscuits as possible, you’d rather use a days holiday plus the cost of the course from your own pocket to do it yourself?

You’re really sticking it to the man there mate.

Far from it, I’m not renewing my DCPC

ROG:
If it does or does not - that is not a worry for a driver - just the employer
Authorities aint bothered

My cause for concern is we occasionally clock up long weeks monday to friday, sometimes nudging up to 60 hours even after breaks and mickey mouse POA are taken off. Am wondering if my employer is taking the P, expecting a full weeks wack, then having us sitting in a classroom as well. As it happens I’ve cried off this weekend as I have a long standing commitment, but I’ve clocked up 56 1/2 hours this week. I know some others have similar hours for this week. Not normal, just one of those buggeration weeks that we all get from time to time. But if I were doing it this week and had to declare it on a manual entry on monday then *$!!%X Taqchomaster would be all over me like a cheap suit. Hence my question.

Conor:

Grumpy Dad:

Firstly I’m not renewing my DCPC, I was issued my card in 2011 after having to pay for my ADR I paid extra for the addition of the 21 hours and then sat in the same class for another two days for the remainder 14.

So you’d be willing to go to a company run DCPC without pay, use your own time, only to be reminded 6 months down the line when you’re handing your notice in you’re contractually obliged to repay any training costs ?

Proper companies pay for the course and it’s done in work time on a weekday with the driver paid a full day’s rate, and no if you leave (a rare enough event) you are not expected to pay the course costs back.

Jesus mother Mary and Joseph, in 2019 this question should not come up.

Let me just get this straight you’ve done a full week and your employer wants you to come in on the weekend and do your 7 hrs of CPC, time to get together and tell the boss man to [zb] off what joke and the clown makes it sound ok because its “free” you must be [zb] joking mate.

I get paid 8.5 hrs for a 7 hour course plus the shift allowance, I don’t take a dump in work time without getting paid never mind 7 hours of tedium.

The only people who should be doing it in their own time are agency, anyone else is a mug.

If the driver is compelled to go by the company then it is other work, if however the driver is attending voluntarily of their own free will ( regardless of it being on company premises or paid for by the company) then it is rest.

harrawaffa:

Grumpy Dad:

Errrr no. I’d rather get paid to go to work and do it on one of my regular work days. Current company does it, last one didn’t (guess how much CPC I racked up there ) and the one before that did too.

Company’s have us over a barrel with this.
Don’t attended paid or unpaid. When September comes your be out of a job unable to drive legally.

Yet imagine if the work force stood togther we want it paid or a day in leu.
September comes and of course your out of a job unable to driver legally .
but hang on a sec the whole workforce can’t drive now .so who’s going to do all the deliveries.
We hold all the cards yet we bow down and obey management time and time again.

Not done any of mine yet (in-house) but I think we have to pay 16~17 quid per day for the upload or something :neutral_face:

I get paid the full shift though for the 7hrs so that’s something I suppose.

It’s not like I’ve got much else choice really, afaik it’s about £80 a day with a dedicated training firm in Swansea.

I’m less happy about the fact that as a permanent nights worker I have to attend at 7am which is my normal going to bed time routine (even on my days off), I wonder if the trainer would be happy attending a course at 11pm or whatever? I doubt it. :angry:

MrH:
If the driver is compelled to go by the company then it is other work, if however the driver is attending voluntarily of their own free will ( regardless of it being on company premises or paid for by the company) then it is rest.

This^^^

At our place we do them though week,we are paid 9 hours and company expects you to put a manual entry in for this time.

MrH:

That’s the official ■■■■■■■■ yeh, but how do you mean ‘‘voluntarily’’ ?
Being more or less forced into doing something you don’t really want to do, knowing it’s a waste of 35 hours of your life (well as far as the realists among us think anyway) but being threatened with not being allowed to do the job you know inside out without this crap being the ONLY alternative?
How tf is that ‘‘voluntarily’’ exactly…Under threat is the term I would use.

Just another example of ‘‘them’’ moving the goalposts when it suits them, it’s ok to spend your weekly rest studying (term used loosely) and being involved in work related stuff, but try doing something work related otherwise, and it’s tonne of bricks time.

It’s like when the ■■■■ s ‘‘allow us’’ :unamused: to go over our hours when it’s being snowing for ■■■■ knows how long and the supermarket shelves are empty,… suddenlly it’s no longer ‘unsafe’ to go over your 9 hours, and 15 spreadover :open_mouth: ,.and some drivers are stupid enough to do it also. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:
, I told them to shove it up their arse I was working normal hours.
As I said, it’s suddenlly fine when it suits them to move the goalposts, parameters and limits, the dcpc hours should all count in your weekly hours and limits…end of

Yorkielad:
At our place we do them though week,we are paid 9 hours and company expects you to put a manual entry in for this time.

Tbf even my lot paid me to do it this time !! :open_mouth: …but not the previous time.

That’s the way it should be.

Any course related to employment that is organised and expected to be done during your own free time, should be compensated for by either a days pay or a day in lieu.
I’ve paid for all my courses, Cl 1, ADR (x2), DCPC, H&S, First Aid, I’ve even paid for non driving related courses, and all done during my own time, wether it meant taking a holiday or at weekends.