DCPC modules.

This DCPC ■■■■,
Can you sit the same module 5 times over and still get the DCPC as youve sat your 35 or do you have to cover each module?

Some very loose explanations being handed out by those in power.

B1 GGK:
This DCPC [zb],
Can you sit the same module 5 times over and still get the DCPC as youve sat your 35 or do you have to cover each module?

Some very loose explanations being handed out by those in power.

Yes you can sit the same course 5 times in a row and get your DQC

You can even do the same course 5 times in the same week.

I didn’t write the rules.

However - why would you?

Yes you can!

You can sit the first day training (a Monday) of your ADR course and fall asleep. The do the same day the next week and fall asleep again, then do it a further 3 times and fall asleep each time, but you will still qualify for your 35 DCPC driver training as you have ‘attended’ the training for the 5 x 7hr days. Can you believe it ? It’s hard to, but it’s true.

Kerbdog:
You can sit the first day training (a Monday) of your ADR course and fall asleep. The do the same day the next week and fall asleep again, then do it a further 3 times and fall asleep each time, but you will still qualify for your 35 DCPC driver training as you have ‘attended’ the training for the 5 x 7hr days. Can you believe it ? It’s hard to, but it’s true.

Yeah it’s true but surely the trainer wouldn’t just let you sleep?

Kerbdog:
You can sit the first day training (a Monday) of your ADR course and fall asleep. The do the same day the next week and fall asleep again, then do it a further 3 times and fall asleep each time, but you will still qualify for your 35 DCPC driver training as you have ‘attended’ the training for the 5 x 7hr days.

No, you can’t. The most DCPC credit you can get from a week’s long ADR course is 28 hours. The final day is exams, which cannot count for DCPC. Some providers don’t have DCPC accreditation for the tanks module, which cuts the DCPC credit to 21 hours.

If you just want to sleep, there’s cheaper ways of getting 35 hours of periodic DCPC than sleeping through an expensive ADR course and failing the exams because you were asleep.

djw:
No, you can’t. The most DCPC credit you can get from a week’s long ADR course is 28 hours. The final day is exams, which cannot count for DCPC. Some providers don’t have DCPC accreditation for the tanks module, which cuts the DCPC credit to 21 hours.

If you just want to sleep, there’s cheaper ways of getting 35 hours of periodic DCPC than sleeping through an expensive ADR course and failing the exams because you were asleep.

You obviously haven’t read my post properley. Forget about the sleeping joke for a minute. You can go in and do the ‘core’ day which is a monday for argument sake, then resit that monday each week for the next four weeks and you qualify for 35 hours training. In other words you can sit the same 7 hours training 5 times and it qualifies you for your 35 hours . THAT IS A FACT. It doesn’t have to be 35 hours of varied training, it is just 35 hours OF training.

As for sleeping, quite a few people have nodded off periodically in the 3 occasions i’ve sat through the ADR course over the last 12 years and no the tutors have never stopped to wake them up. The tutor on the last one which I done in August 2011 actually said that as long as you are present for the training, you will qualify for the DCPC. Whether you pass your ADR on whichever bit you fell asleep on might be a different story.

Kerbdog:

Strange indeed, but nevertheless very true.

Kerbdog:
In other words you can sit the same 7 hours training 5 times and it qualifies you for your 35 hours .

Indeed - you’re right. I hadn’t appreciated that you were talking about sitting the first day of an ADR course five times - and sleeping through it on each occasion.

As you say, that would count for 35 hours of periodic DCPC - and would be a huge waste of time and money!

djw:
The most DCPC credit you can get from a week’s long ADR course is 28 hours.

The final day is exams, which cannot count for DCPC. Some providers don’t have DCPC accreditation for the tanks module, which cuts the DCPC credit to 21 hours.

The timetabling isn’t really important here, and as a small point, I’ve been teaching ADR quite prolifically since 2003 and I’ve only encountered one provider who runs all the exams one after another on day #5.
Most providers run the Core, Packs and seven Classes to finish at the end of day #3 and the exams for those then take up the morning of day #4.

The tanker module is normally ‘free standing,’ and can be tacked-on at the end if there’s been sufficient up-front demand for it at time that the candidates’ bookings were taken.
Done in this way, the normal tanker module commences after lunch on day #4 when the guys not wishing to do the tanker module have left. The tanker module then finishes with the tanker module exam on the afternoon of day #5.

The reason for only a few providers offering a 7-hour DCPC for the tanker module is the very poor rate of candidate retention once the main course is finished, which makes the proposition of paying DSA/JAUPT for yet more accreditation rather wasteful.

djw:

Most definitely!! :smiley:

dieseldave:

djw:
The most DCPC credit you can get from a week’s long ADR course is 28 hours.

The final day is exams, which cannot count for DCPC. Some providers don’t have DCPC accreditation for the tanks module, which cuts the DCPC credit to 21 hours.

The timetabling isn’t really important here, and as a small point, I’ve been teaching ADR quite prolifically since 2003 and I’ve only encountered one provider who runs all the exams one after another on day #5.
Most providers run the Core, Packs and seven Classes to finish at the end of day #3 and the exams for those then take up the morning of day #4.

And, of course, I acknowledge and bow to your experience.

By ‘day’, I meant ‘seven hour lump of DCPC credit’, rather than day in the temporal sense. I can see why timetabling the way that you say it is done in practice makes sense, as you can accommodate those who do and don’t want the Tanker module on the same course.

dieseldave:
The tanker module is normally ‘free standing,’ and can be tacked-on at the end if there’s been sufficient up-front demand for it at time that the candidates’ bookings were taken.
Done in this way, the normal tanker module commences after lunch on day #4 when the guys not wishing to do the tanker module have left. The tanker module then finishes with the tanker module exam on the afternoon of day #5.

The reason for only a few providers offering a 7-hour DCPC for the tanker module is the very poor rate of candidate retention once the main course is finished, which makes the proposition of paying DSA/JAUPT for yet more accreditation rather wasteful.

It’s a shame for those who want the Tanker module, but I can see why this makes sense. The current DCPC accreditation structure means it is not always feasible to offer DCPC credit for potentially creditworthy training.

Similarly, not every LGV driving school offers DCPC credit for driver training, even those that are JAUPT registered. If a provider accredits a 7 hour ‘driver improvement’ module or similar, any training taken by existing LGV initial DCPC holders that lasts seven hours in any one day can be DCPC creditworthy.

Here the rules really are somewhat perverse. Pre-1997 car licence holders have C1 entitlement from their car tests and therefore acquired rights to LGV initial DCPC. This means that C training is potentially DCPC creditworthy - and this will remain the case even after their DCPC acquired rights have expired, because expired DCPC is regained by taking 35 hours of periodic training.

However, those without C1 entitlement (from a C1 test or a pre-1997 car test) cannot get DCPC credit for C training, because they cannot already have LGV initial DCPC. Initial DCPC is only gained by passing all four modules, including the practical LGV driving test.

CE training is potentially creditworthy for all LGV drivers with acquired rights or who took modules 2 and 4 alongside their C or C1 tests.

The most perverse thing of all is that typically only 2:1 driver training is DCPC creditworthy - 1:1 training does not last for seven hours a day. Both courses contain a similar amount of driving, and an LGV driving course typically lasts rather longer than seven hours, but the time spent as a passenger is clearly crucial for DCPC credit.

djw:
By ‘day’, I meant ‘seven hour lump of DCPC credit’, rather than day in the temporal sense. I can see why timetabling the way that you say it is done in practice makes sense, as you can accommodate those who do and don’t want the Tanker module on the same course.

Hi djw,

You have it in one. :smiley:

Of course, if candidates don’t want the packages module, they’d get most of the afternoon of day #2 of a 5-day course as a free period, but only 14 eligible DCPC hours from most providers for the whole course.

I was hoping to get on 1 of your ADR courses this year Dave, but struggling to get a week off when I aint away myself :cry:
Would prefer to do it through an ADR than go through this place we are being sent to.