DCPC First one done - need a change of plan

Did my fist module yesterday Health and safety and well being at work. 7 hours of abject misery and I learned nothing. I know we have to do it so I have decided to change tack and look at stuff that will be useful and at least interesting, I dont want to watch a 15 slide powerpoint presentation stretched for 7 hours with someone reading whats on the slide and then sounding like a David Brent. Complete waste of time.

So I want to do a first aid module but again I dont want some soleless prat telling me from a slideshow. Is there a accreddited course that I can take with either the red cross or st johns etc.

Also anyone got any suggestions for modules that actually involve hands on.

This is my concern with the stories I’ve read on here and heard from others. I’m looking at doing an ADR course out of my own pocket - not cheap but it’s 21 hours of DCPC sorted, and a useful string to my bow. Will probably fill the other 14 hours up with bog standard courses on H&S or tacho hours.

jaupt.org.uk/Centre+and+Cour … ch/courses - put in first aid and your postcode

ROG:
http://www.jaupt.org.uk/Centre+and+Course+Search/courses - put in first aid and your postcode

doesnt even recognise peterborough.

midlifetrucker:

ROG:
http://www.jaupt.org.uk/Centre+and+Course+Search/courses - put in first aid and your postcode

Who would? :wink:

midlifetrucker:

ROG:

Does not seem to recognise any location !!

lol

We did first aid as one of our modules. The lads that ran it were from a company called “first aid works” based in birmingham but they came to us at Ripon. Informative and worthwhile i thought, better than the usual drivel or teaching your gran to ■■■■ eggs stuff. The website for them is firstaidworks.co.uk or tel 08456076881 hope this is of some help to you

1st aid should be compulsory!

Cold Up North:
1st aid should be compulsory!

I agree.

midlifetrucker:
Did my fist module

be careful, you may go blind :smiley:

I did First Aid on one of my modules and although I’d done a First Aid course before it was one of the few useful things we covered.

midlifetrucker:
Did my fist module yesterday Health and safety and well being at work. 7 hours of abject misery and I learned nothing. I know we have to do it so I have decided to change tack and look at stuff that will be useful and at least interesting, I dont want to watch a 15 slide powerpoint presentation stretched for 7 hours with someone reading whats on the slide and then sounding like a David Brent. Complete waste of time.

So I want to do a first aid module but again I dont want some soleless prat telling me from a slideshow. Is there a accreddited course that I can take with either the red cross or st johns etc.

That’s stunning.
I did one yesterday, it sounds exactly the same as yours. Only ours was Eco driving.
I paid £60.00.
I would pay more for a decent first aid module.

My 1st aid was £74+vat last year. Done my 35 hours now, but will have to do 1st aid again anyway for insurance purposes.
I need to use the hours to gain more tickets really, telehandlers, etc etc.

My 1st and only course so far was the H&S one.

Hardly any of it relevant to a mobile worker and dull as anything.

I was tempted to set fire to my hair or throw myself from the window to liven things up a bit but that’s against H&S apparently.

What’s worse it was a really warm Saturday in September and my family had cleared off out for the day.

I dont really want to spend cash needlessly but I have looked at St Johns course for the first aid and its £150 (inc Vat) now am I better to pay that to a recognised training body and hopefully get more from it or sit in another dingey portakabin watching a mis spelt powerpoint on a bloody uncomfortable chair for 7 hours.

As it stands I am sooooooooooooo dreading another 28 hours.

This really is not a sales pitch just advice. Do not think that the bigger the company the better the course. A lot of these big companies employ the smaller ones to deliver their courses on a sub contract basis.
For first aid courses the obvious place to go is St Johns or Red cross. The price quoted above is around £80 ish pound more than me for the same course and first aid certificate.before going to the big boys try the smaller ones there are some good ones out there.

If you can get a group together do so as you have the power to drive down the price.

ST Johns have got a dcpc approved course
sja.org.uk/sja/training-cour … t-aid.aspx

Data Academy in Leicester do a First Aid DCPC course and it was actually quite good, only £50 at the time as well (about a year ago).

midlifetrucker:
‘…DCPC … abject misery and I learned nothing. [A]nyone got any suggestions …’

:bulb: Yeah, cut and paste your post - perhaps expand it a bit(?) and send it to your MP via:

writetothem.com/ :wink:

Why not - it’s free & the chances are that they’re a Lib-Lab-Con pro-EU puppet who thinks the EU’s DCPC is a great idea :unamused: