DCPC bad info

Did part 4 of our DCPC on saturday. At the end the instructor took us outside to show us how to do our walk around checks.(Glad he showed me cos I’ve only done it for 23 years). When he eventually got to trailer landing legs they weren’t wound all the way up, and, guess what,“£30 per turn fine if seen by VOSA”.
I thought these people had to be qualified to spout this nonsense so why don’t they have the correct info?

How much is the fine?

Not really!

44 Tonne Ton:
How much is the fine?

Actually it is a very valid question, because some will tell you it is a £50 fine :laughing:

biggerstuff:
Did part 4 of our DCPC on saturday. At the end the instructor took us outside to show us how to do our walk around checks.(Glad he showed me cos I’ve only done it for 23 years). When he eventually got to trailer landing legs they weren’t wound all the way up, and, guess what,“£30 per turn fine if seen by VOSA”.
I thought these people had to be qualified to spout this nonsense so why don’t they have the correct info?

was that in the slow or fast setting, because i can only get my legs up the last 4" in the slow setting so my fine would be massive :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :blush: :blush:

a trailer has a faulty mechanism on one side that goes all the way up but one side is faulty and is 4inches short is the fine then decreased

HAIRYGORILLA:
a trailer has a faulty mechanism on one side that goes all the way up but one side is faulty and is 4inches short is the fine then decreased

£15 :laughing:

biggerstuff:

Cos they’ve been told this lovely snippet by about 3000 different drivers who all believe it to be true and they get brain washed and believe it as well

I must get told this one almost every course I run - and when i say they’re wrong it turns into a fight :wink: I get the old “I’ve been doing this job longer than you, what do you know” “You don’t even drive so how do you know” etc etc :open_mouth:

I was instructed (and still have the paperwork to prove it) during my dCPC course that a split daily rest must be a minimum of 3hrs followed by a minimum of 9hrs + a minimum of 12hr taken within the next 24hrs :open_mouth:

I corrected him, he showed it me in the book, I told him book was wrong and showed it him on the t’interweb, I was told that he was right, had been driving for a bzillion years and I was a fool or something along those lines :unamused:

It would appear that before the CPC many drivers were doing their job full of misunderstanding and misconceptions of rules and regulations. Now it appears that those same misunderstandings and misconceptions are being written in stone by so called “Trainers” who have no more knowledge on the subject than the average misinformed driver.

The amount of times I’ve heared a driver say “I’m right because thats what I got told on my CPC course” about something totally ridiculous along the lines of this topic is quite worrying.

robinhood_1984:
The amount of times I’ve heared a driver say “I’m right because thats what I got told on my CPC course” about something totally ridiculous along the lines of this topic is quite worrying.

Double edge sword that one. The other month i done a drivers hours course and said your 45min break can be split to min 15 followed by a min 30.

A few weeks later my phone goes. A lad from the course has been arguing with another driver its a min 30 followed by min 15 break. He told him he knew he was right as he had done a dcpc.

I explained he was wrong and the other driver wass correct. I got lucky as the person saying it wrong was my best mate who manned up and admitted his not my mistake but how many good trainers are being blamed by drivers that dont listen.

robinhood_1984:

The amount of times I hear a driver tell another what he was just told in a DCPC course … and i know for fact that wasn’t what he was told.

But yes … some trainers do seem to be miss-informed at times :unamused: :wink:

waynedl:
I was instructed (and still have the paperwork to prove it) during my dCPC course that a split daily rest must be a minimum of 3hrs followed by a minimum of 9hrs + a minimum of 12hr taken within the next 24hrs :open_mouth:

I corrected him, he showed it me in the book, I told him book was wrong and showed it him on the t’interweb, I was told that he was right, had been driving for a bzillion years and I was a fool or something along those lines :unamused:

Have you accepted it yet?

If only the law was simple enough for lorry drivers to understand, then we wouldn’t need all of these courses.

I’m not putting us down, even High Court judges can’t agree what the law is.

So what chance have we got?

Harry Monk:
If only the law was simple enough for lorry drivers to understand, then we wouldn’t need all of these courses.

I’m not putting us down, even High Court judges can’t agree what the law is.

So what chance have we got?

Exactly. 100% spot on.

Harry Monk:

It used to be, until a certain Mr. Heath paved the way for it being taken out of our hands. :imp:

wildfire:
was that in the slow or fast setting, because i can only get my legs up the last 4" in the slow setting so my fine would be massive :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :blush: :blush:

That has always been my question - which winding speed is used for calculating the fine?

I first heard this myth from a VOSA vehicle examiner - but he was making a point about the poor standard of DCPC training, not about landing legs… (And it was 60 pounds a turn when he told it, which just shows what happens when the government gets involved.)

wilbur:

wildfire:

That has always been my question - which winding speed is used for calculating the fine?

I first heard this myth from a VOSA vehicle examiner - but he was making a point about the poor standard of DCPC training, not about landing legs… (And it was 60 pounds a turn when he told it, which just shows what happens when the government gets involved.)

Rate of inflation, and all that…

Wheel Nut:

waynedl:

Have you accepted it yet?

Nope