Day rate tramping

How do you work this :question:
I’ve a mate who’s on it and he’s pulling his hair out
He get 103 per day- mon- fri
Sat - 140 ish
They say the days are based on 11 hrs,but there running him at max hours .
My only suggestion is park the truck up at 11 hrs,but he says he can’t as the work there putting on him wouldn’t get done,then they’d be on his back.
I’ve done tramping on hourly rate and you just bang in as many hours as you can ,but no experience of day rate tramping so struggling to give him advice other than park it up after 11 hrs which he says due to workload isn’t a option.
So anyone on it,how do you work it .ta

dozy:
Sat - 140 ish
My only suggestion is park the truck up at 11 hrs,but he says he can’t as the work there putting on him wouldn’t get done,then they’d be on his back.
I’ve done tramping on hourly rate and you just bang in as many hours as you can ,but no experience of day rate tramping so struggling to give him advice other than park it up after 11 hrs which he says due to workload isn’t a option.

£103 for 11 hrs is £9.36 ph if as you say they are running him at max which I presume is 15 then his £103 drops to £6.86 ph
Tell him to park up on 11 what is not done, do it the next day nobody in their right mind works o/t for less than what they would for their normal hourly rate.
Two other options keep a tab on the hours excess of 11 and then tell the Boss man thats the hours hes done and wants paid time of in lieu OR tell him to stick where the sun dont shine

Just plod stick to the limits don’t book POA only have required breaks and then watch the WTD take effect. :wink:

If there is no overtime arrangement in place then at 11 hours he needs to park up, why the heck would anyone work for free, the boss is making money in those 4 hours so why shouldn’t he. What do his collegues do, can’t imagine a company where every driver works for free over 11 hours.

What’s on his contract? Bet it says nothing other than daily rate, keep within WTD, eu regs bla bla. Shysters.

Day rates are usually quoted as after tax, but including overnights.
Is that the case here?

hi do u get night out money on top as for daily rate bad idea in 1st place but what usually happens is planner will be keeping the 11hr days for old hands and longer u stay easier it will get .but voice your opinion to them politely so they know u r not a muppet gd luck :smiley:

The wage ain’t no good for me I know that!! For 11 hours I would get £112.50 and thats for driving a rigid.
If I had to do that job I would be parking up after 11 hours and not doing any POA, not that I use it anyway.

lolipop:

dozy:
Sat - 140 ish

£103 for 11 hrs is £9.36 ph if as you say they are running him at max which I presume is 15 then his £103 drops to £6.86 ph
Tell him to park up on 11 what is not done, do it the next day nobody in their right mind works o/t for less than what they would for their normal hourly rate.
Two other options keep a tab on the hours excess of 11 and then tell the Boss man thats the hours hes done and wants paid time of in lieu OR tell him to stick where the sun dont shine

£103 for 11 hours is about £8.00/hour basic and 3 hrs overtime at time and a half.

yes bristolron but guy is obviously in real world of general haulage ands just wants some advice we can all get on here and say ye I earn bla bla bla but sometimes in life a mans gotta do wot a mans gotta do :smiley:

If he was told he would be working 11hrs a day and Is maxing hours then the first thing to do is say it to the boss and find out what the story is. it could be just an ahole planner taking the ■■■■.

ye knowing bosses the guy interviewing him said usually around 11hr day the golden word there was usually .end of the day u speak with boss and then stay or walk simple :smiley:

dozy:

He’s responsible for the rod he has made for his own back. Yes the work won’t get done. Maybe if it stopped getting done they’d ask why, get told and either give a more realistic workload or alter the pay.

Agree with the other post made…no PoA, only take minimum amount of 45’s required. When you get to the point that you’ve only got enough time to get back to base within the maximum 60hrs working time a week you can do under the WTD, drive back to the yard regardless of what is on the back of the motor.

“Why are you here?”

“Because the WTD says I can only work a maximum of 60hrs a week excluding PoA and break and I’ve got 10 minutes left.”

“You’re sacked”

"For refusing to break the law? Shall we see how well sacking someone for refusing to break the law goes down with the traffic commissioner?

If you don’t stand up for yourself they’ll run rings around you. The laws are there to help you, use them.

This is why day rate and tramping don’t go together. If you get held up for a couple of hours then your practically working for free, just another excuse to screw drivers out of money.

Sacked,lol, A shrewd boss would just starve you of work, no work, no or only basic pay WTD i bet the company asks their drivers to opt out , So that wouldn’t get you very far,
And as for the pay rates that’s what the job pays for most tramping jobs , there’s only a few that will be paying much more , and quite a few paying less

tommy t:
Sacked,lol, A shrewd boss would just starve you of work, no work, no or only basic pay WTD i bet the company asks their drivers to opt out , So that wouldn’t get you very far,
And as for the pay rates that’s what the job pays for most tramping jobs , there’s only a few that will be paying much more , and quite a few paying less

basic pay is the same, it’s a day rate!

you can’t opt out of the wtd

it depends on what was said at interview, if i was taking a taking a tramping job on a day rate or salary, then i’d expect it to be up to max hours. if i wasn’t happy with the rate v max hours then i’d look elsewhere

i’ve worked a job on a day rate, it was sold to us on £8.50 for 13 hours, so £110.50 a day and a 4 day week. some blokes would park up at 13 hours, that’s up to them, it didn’t bother me working over as i just regarded it as a day rate and we would always got a short last day which was worth more to me than parking up a bit earlier

You can’t opt out of the WTD , well i have so far never observed it, or been asked to do so by an employer and i don’t intend on doing,

I’m on day rate and away all week, my days can range from as little as 7 hours to 15, I’m on a good number at the minute so just take the 15’s on the chin, I generally average 11 hours a day.

That’s for £120 a day + £20 night out and parking paid upto £20 or full cost on SNAP although I generally park in a free space unless loaded.

Thanks all,sorry didn’t reply earlier,just got back.
Spoke too him tonight and he said he’s parking up after 11 hrs,but I’m not convinced,he still keeps on about the work won’t get done :unamused: .
Told him too have a chat with the other drivers and see how they work the job,hopefully he does and gets sorted.
Thanks again,I’ll report back after his rant down my phone in the morning :wink:

Joke. Your mate is a mug. Day rate only works if it’s a set time. Hourly for variable or just max rate for max hours.