Day late Drive!

I’ve been getting a lot of loads lately that are a day late when I deliver them [emoji849]
What I mean is I’m picking them up mid afternoon and they should have been delivered that day , most with morning booking times [emoji23][emoji23]
Luckily blagging has worked so far but I know my luck is gonna run out and a firm is going to refuse the goods thanks to XXL planning

New pastures

Brilliant post

It’s not your luck that’ll run out, it’s your companies luck. One for the powers to sort if all goes wrong.

I’ve never had stuff refused for being late. Only for being too early and ‘we ain’t got nowhere to put it, take it back’. Usually when late they’ll kick whoever is next in line to get me in first as chances are tjheir own drivers are already waiting for whatever I’m delivering or at least parts of it.

toonsy:
It’s not your luck that’ll run out, it’s your companies luck. One for the powers to sort if all goes wrong.

Dead right. Don’t worry about someone else’s problem.

Failing to see the issue. Years ago when I worked for Reed Boardall on nights I’d start at 6pm at Sara Lee just outside Bridlington and for weeks my run was a 6pm Iceland Queensferry. So I’d phone chaos control up and say I wasn’t going to get there on time, they’d tell me to go, I’d arrive and security would refuse me because I’d be about 4hrs late, I’d turn around, ring chaos control up and they’d tell me to take it back to Sara Lee. It got quite farcical and both I and the gatehouse security found it quite funny.

Paid by the hour so just did what I was told.

Conor:
Failing to see the issue. Years ago when I worked for Reed Boardall on nights I’d start at 6pm at Sara Lee just outside Bridlington and for weeks my run was a 6pm Iceland Queensferry. So I’d phone chaos control up and say I wasn’t going to get there on time, they’d tell me to go, I’d arrive and security would refuse me because I’d be about 4hrs late, I’d turn around, ring chaos control up and they’d tell me to take it back to Sara Lee. It got quite farcical and both I and the gatehouse security found it quite funny.

Paid by the hour so just did what I was told.

Yep. Arrive in yard on Saturday, around 10.00 hrs. "Take this load to Lidl Tottenham “.
“This was was booked for yesterday…?”
“Yeah, it was late, its rebooked”
“I’ll not get there until about 14.00hrs at the earliest, have you confirmed they’ll accept it?”
" I can’t get hold of them, just run with it”

About 14.10hrs, Tottenham RDC
“Hello, the place is shut”
“What do you mean, shut?”
“Closed. As in not open. They’ve gone home”
… " uuhn … ok, bring it back…"

:unamused: :confused:

I had similar here in Oz. A regular delivery for a meat works. On the Wednesday I told our office bods they’d be closed on Monday for their show day holiday. I reminded them on Thursday and Friday. It was all loaded over the weekend and off I went knowing the place would be closed. Phoned the office waller at home at 0500 and half asleep he said to ask if the maintenance crew would take it. I said I’ll see you in an hour so it can all be taken off. :laughing:

Many years ago I was working for a pallet company. Get to Somerfield at Bridgwater for 10.30 today, also see if they will take this pallet, booked in for the next day. Got there at 10.10 and queued. got to security at 10.35 and handed over paperwork. Security checked and I was told being refused as is is late. I asked how late and was told 3 weeks. I was only collected the day before. Ok, while I am here, can I deliver this pallet, which is booked in for 10.30 tomorrow? Security checked and I was told Sorry, it is late. How can it be late when it is not due until tomorrow? how late is it? 3 weeks.

Had a cracker today [emoji23][emoji23]
Turned up at Lenham storage and booked in and was told I should have been here at 6pm last night [emoji23]but they still booked me in , then i when to the Waitrose bit handed my paper work to them and they said go on bay 3 which I did
Opened my curtains and sat and waited 1 1/2 hours later goods in guy come up to me and moans why was I late blah blah and left me on the naughty step [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I’ve just started to be unloaded now
They set the president by booking me in and putting me on a bay and now they’re gonna pay for the waiting around

New pastures

Our lot are class leaders at late deliveries on account of repeatedly attempting to get a pint into a half pint glass.

When I get somewhere and security tells me I’m late I usually ignore them and make no comment at all, primarily because it’s eff all to do with some chimp from Cordant security and secondly I’m not sure what response I’m supposed to make to them stating the bleedin obvious!

If goods in tell me I’m a day or two late I usually say “yeah, traffic was a nightmare “! They then reckon that they are dealing with an idiot and tend to leave me alone from then on.

I get paid just the same to take it back, so I don’t really care whether they take it or not.

the maoster:
Our lot are class leaders at late deliveries on account of repeatedly attempting to get a pint into a half pint glass.

When I get somewhere and security tells me I’m late I usually ignore them and make no comment at all, primarily because it’s eff all to do with some chimp from Cordant security and secondly I’m not sure what response I’m supposed to make to them stating the bleedin obvious!

If goods in tell me I’m a day or two late I usually say “yeah, traffic was a nightmare “! They then reckon that they are dealing with an idiot and tend to leave me alone from then on.

I get paid just the same to take it back, so I don’t really care whether they take it or not.

Only way to go mate.

I never understand why they would refuse a load for being late, surely when you have to re-book and take it back it’s even later?

Martin:
I never understand why they would refuse a load for being late, surely when you have to re-book and take it back it’s even later?

Yeah but if its late it falls outside of “the plan” for which they’ve got “resources/space” for. So anyone turning up late puts pressure on somewhere else.

That’s why if you turn up on time, jump through all the hoops and so on you’ll be out within 30 minutes because its all be planned for in advance and as soon as you arrive on time you’ll have a bay, space in the warehouse and staff available to get the goods in quicky and efficiently.

Oh… wait…

Bug bear of mine booking times are. Hate them but also understand them if they are applied correctly. But they’re not. You do your bit and your still left hanging because they’re “busy/no room/no staff” or whatever. You know, all the stuff that having timeslots is meant to alleviate :unamused:

The reason they are busy, have no room, not enough staff etc is probably because they are having to deal with all the loads that are late/early/rescheduled :slight_smile:

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Responses for - Your late driver .

1 - I’m not , the goods may be but I couldn’t get here any sooner than what I did .

2- It’s ok we don’t charge extra for late deliveries .

3- we can’t be everywhere at 6 in the morning .

4- it didn’t come off the boat until 6 hard to be 2 hours up the road at the delivery at the same time

5- Do you want it or not ? Sign the paperwork and it goes away

beefy4605:

Is the…

One I use. They’re not my mushrooms/tellies/paper clips/radiators/pots of paint/what ever.

I’ve never quite understood why taking it back to whence it came should be so upsetting for me.

Seriously, I couldn’t give a monkeys, I’ve done what I was paid to do. As others have stated, if you just casually accept what ever they’re saying without a fuss, they just open the gate and off you go and tip it.

yourhavingalarf:

beefy4605:

Is the…

One I use. They’re not my mushrooms/tellies/paper clips/radiators/pots of paint/what ever.

I’ve never quite understood why taking it back to whence it came should be so upsetting for me.

Seriously, I couldn’t give a monkeys, I’ve done what I was paid to do. As others have stated, if you just casually accept what ever they’re saying without a fuss, they just open the gate and off you go and tip it.

Exactly. Any whining about it being late is met by a practicedshrug of the shoulders.

I make one exception.

Staff. “Driver, you should have been here at 0800hrs…”
Me “why, what happened?”

yourhavingalarf:

beefy4605:

Is the…

Yep I think security / gatehouse / goods in do it to see the driver have a meltdown - when it doesn’t work you can see the faces drain of colour when you say “OK no problem "
Another favourite when you got told “You’ve missed your booking time” was " Can you park me in a nice quiet corner of the yard and I’ll get the head down till your ready for me ?” Park up in the corner and pull the curtains - within 20 minutes they are knocking the door - "Driver bay ** now please " lol

Take this trailer to XYZ please, it should have been there yesterday, tell them you have had a breakdown or puncture.

OK!

Hello Drive, you are late, should have been here yesterday! You can reply, why what happened?

If they say you have had a breakdown, just say Not me! My boss told me to say that, or was it a puncture? Dunno. I just picked it up in the yard a couple of hours ago!