Day driving vs tramping pay rates

Just wondering do the trampers get more per hour for being away from home than the day/night drivers. I know you get night out money and your time is your own once you have finished your work for the day. However you are still away from your own bed.

I did a little bit of night out work (2 or 3 times) but i was always put up in a hotel and paid to the moment i parked up +night out money so didnt expect to be paid any differently. However i imagine tramping being very different with issues that arise. where a day man could just come back to the yard if there was an issue and still get the same amount of pay (bar 20 mins) i guess for a tramper that could be the end of his day but means he has missed out on several hours pay

Nope. Well not at many places anyway. It’s same pay as a day driver with night out money on top.

I did it because at the time I enjoyed it, had little in the way of commitment and it was mainly continental trips.

It’s a lifestyle thing. Defo not for money. Too many make it about money by making themselves feel better and including night out money and saying stuff like “I get 800 a week” when really it’s 700 with four payments for sustenance.

I always spent mine on meals, lunch, beers, whatever. That’s what it’s there for.

The jobs that where advertised for dhl Manton wood did have a slight better salary for trampers than the rate for day drivers

Be wary of taking a tramping job on hourly pay unless you have good guarantee of minimum daily hours.
I`ve mostly dome tramp work, and that was often on a daily rate.

If at base an early finish means time at home so a couple hrs lost pay is balanced by time at home.
If away you arent getting home, so doesnt seem fair to get short hours pay.

Another wee bonus is less unpaid travelling time base to home. One return a week instead of many.

cooper1203:
i guess for a tramper that could be the end of his day but means he has missed out on several hours pay

Not necessarily. A tramper, if he/she was so inclined could simply run their hours out and so get max hours every day. It’s not my cup of Earl Grey but plenty where I work do that week in week out.

I’ve never worked anywhere that had different pay rates for day men or trampers (although I believe that Reed Bordall pay trampers £1 per hour less!) The reason that I tramp where I’m at is because our planners are lunatics who think that planning a day man a 700km+ day is acceptable! That kind of shizzle brings the type of stress that kills a person IMO as from the start of shift until the end they are under pressure and end up driving flat to the mat and getting wound up at the slightest delay. That’s not for me thank you. My thinking is that if I get held up I’m earning money for sitting around and it’s only the view from my bedroom window that has changed. Stress will NEVER kill me.

toonsy:
Nope. Well not at many places anyway. It’s same pay as a day driver with night out money on top.

I did it because at the time I enjoyed it, had little in the way of commitment and it was mainly continental trips.

It’s a lifestyle thing. Defo not for money. Too many make it about money by making themselves feel better and including night out money and saying stuff like “I get 800 a week” when really it’s 700 with four payments for sustenance.

I always spent mine on meals, lunch, beers, whatever. That’s what it’s there for.

I did nights out for 30 years and my thoughts are largely the same. I enjoyed doing the continental work, nights out are part and parcel of doing a run to Moscow or Istanbul, and facilities on the mainland for truckers are a world apart from the UK.

I never enjoyed doing them in the UK, a night in a layby by the A1 was my idea of hell, rockin’ and rollin’ every time a car came past…

I used to spend around 50% of my night-out money in Autohofs and Centre Routiers etc and save the other 50% and I would then feel justified in spending it on fripperies, for example I once built a steam railway in my back garden entirely out of unspent night-out money and my logic was “Well, if I get paid to eat in a restaurant and I chose to eat a Pot Noodle instead then that money is mine to spend as I wish”. Not that this exactly worked because the Old Woman still threw me out in the end.

I don’t do nights out any more, haven’t for 5-6 years now, firstly because there’s only really UK work left now and secondly because leaving my narrowboat unattended for longer than 24 hours requires a full shutdown, throwing away all of the food in the fridge freezer etc and I just can’t be bothered with it.

Places I have worked at there was no difference in hourly rate,it was usually a difference in hours worked.

I suspect most trampers do it because they can’t stand their wife

the maoster:

cooper1203:
i guess for a tramper that could be the end of his day but means he has missed out on several hours pay

Not necessarily. A tramper, if he/she was so inclined could simply run their hours out and so get max hours every day. It’s not my cup of Earl Grey but plenty where I work do that week in week out.

I’ve never worked anywhere that had different pay rates for day men or trampers (although I believe that Reed Bordall pay trampers £1 per hour less!) The reason that I tramp where I’m at is because our planners are lunatics who think that planning a day man a 700km+ day is acceptable! That kind of shizzle brings the type of stress that kills a person IMO as from the start of shift until the end they are under pressure and end up driving flat to the mat and getting wound up at the slightest delay. That’s not for me thank you. My thinking is that if I get held up I’m earning money for sitting around and it’s only the view from my bedroom window that has changed. Stress will NEVER kill me.

Not always as simple as that, first place I worked for tramping was a small family firm with little contract work it was mainly haulage exchange backloads, so you’d tip Southampton at 1400 for example and your Portsmouth reload wasn’t ready till 6am next morning,

I once had a 16 hour layover to wait for a load because he didn’t want to send me back empty and was struggling for a backload. Safe to say that’s when I started to see the issue with working at a 6 truck firm and looked for alternative employment

Fair point ^^^ that’s where a guaranteed minimum comes in handy I suppose. My place is heavily unionised so consequently we get favourable conditions, namely a guarantee of 12 hours when away from base, plus after 13 hours parked up we are back on pay again. I doubt that too many places do that though.

the maoster:
Fair point ^^^ that’s where a guaranteed minimum comes in handy I suppose. My place is heavily unionised so consequently we get favourable conditions, namely a guarantee of 12 hours when away from base, plus after 13 hours parked up we are back on pay again. I doubt that too many places do that though.

can you count your daily rest with in that 13 hours?

Alfa1M:

the maoster:

cooper1203:

Not always as simple as that, first place I worked for tramping was a small family firm with little contract work it was mainly haulage exchange backloads, so you’d tip Southampton at 1400 for example and your Portsmouth reload wasn’t ready till 6am next morning,

I once had a 16 hour layover to wait for a load because he didn’t want to send me back empty and was struggling for a backload. Safe to say that’s when I started to see the issue with working at a 6 truck firm and looked for alternative employment

Wernt by chance based in Trafford park were they?

cooper1203:

the maoster:

can you count your daily rest with in that 13 hours?

Of course. Perhaps I should have clarified what I wrote; if for example I got to a place at noon but they couldn’t touch me until, say 9am the next day I’d book off at noon, but at 0100 the following day I’d be back on pay despite me not actually starting until 9am, if that makes sense?

Tramper drivers get ripped off

edd1974:

Alfa1M:

the maoster:

cooper1203:

No but just around the corner, don’t want to give name as they are doing their best and don’t want to come across as downgrading them- just the way tiny operators have to run i spose.

[/quote]
No but just around the corner, don’t want to give name as they are doing their best and don’t want to come across as downgrading them- just the way tiny operators have to run i spose.
[/quote]
Wouldt expect you to…but basiaclly your user name looks familiar and when you said 6 trucks on haulage exchange.
If I say the name auther does that mean anything…as I think I work there lol

No that name doesn’t mean anything to me, so how do you find working for a firm that relies on haulage exchange for work ? The worse part used to be sat at home ‘on call’ - without being paid of course- waiting for a profitable load to come in.

Alfa1M:
No that name doesn’t mean anything to me, so how do you find working for a firm that relies on haulage exchange for work ? The worse part used to be sat at home ‘on call’ - without being paid of course- waiting for a profitable load to come in.

I like the variety not knowing where your going to next…could be a farm…could.be a warehouse or even a building site.
Get see lot of the country etc.
It’s ok really…but can be a pain once tiped waiting around untill they find me a next job .but way I see it I’m paid hourly if they want to pay me 2 hours to sit around and wait I don’t mind.