Day Drivers Kit

Start my 1st class 1 job next week as a day driver( no nights out). Was after some info on what you take with you as essentials

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Night out kit

This is transport and no nights out can never be guaranteed.

Gloves
Sat nav
Pens
Maps
Sandwiches
Cash
Credit card
Fluids (in this heat)

Newspaper.

Sounds daft, but baby wipes are dead handy

jusholmes:
‘… what you take with you as essentials …’

If it’s a shared unit then a bottle of Wilkinson’s Anti-bac spray and a same brand bundle of their well-robust micro-cloths - enough for a new one each day to ‘wipe-round’ and to decently finish off the mirrors at end-shift when it’s invariably dried out :smiley:

Total cost approx £3-ish

The cloths are a doddle to launder & easily provide a better (although not foolproof) chance of avoiding bug-borne snot, earwax and other sundry body-pickings which otherwise too often laid me down with coughs, colds or worse every season of the year. Don’t get me wrong, my work colleagues are a great bunch of blokes, but hey, maybe I’m too sensitive to their ‘individuality’…

It may bulk your day bag out but I reckon ‘Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance’, eh

A spray tin of Neutrodol at about £1.50 comes with me too

Sorry for ‘product placement’ and I’m sure other brands are just as cushty :wink:

Happy Keith:

jusholmes:
‘… what you take with you as essentials …’

If it’s a shared unit then a bottle of Wilkinson’s Anti-bac spray and a same brand bundle of their well-robust micro-cloths - enough for a new one each day to ‘wipe-round’ and to decently finish off the mirrors at end-shift when it’s invariably dried out :smiley:

Total cost approx £3-ish

The cloths are a doddle to launder & easily provide a better (although not foolproof) chance of avoiding bug-borne snot, earwax and other sundry body-pickings which otherwise too often laid me down with coughs, colds or worse every season of the year. Don’t get me wrong, my work colleagues are a great bunch of blokes, but hey, maybe I’m too sensitive to their ‘individuality’…

It may bulk your day bag out but I reckon ‘Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance’, eh

A spray tin of Neutrodol at about £1.50 comes with me too

Sorry for ‘product placement’ and I’m sure other brands are just as cushty :wink:

Micro fiber cloths pack of 3 bout £1 in "Heron " shop

Pen
sat nav
map
paper
book
gloves
wallet ( cash cash card )
flask
coffee
cup
water
food
phone
charging leads & adapter
hands free

Food, drinks and bedding are the most essential items.

If the truck breaks down,you may have to sleep in the cab if out of duty time.
Fabreeze fabric spray.Foam ear plugs to prevent deafness in later life by driving with the windows open.
Hand steriliser.

If you will be staying on the same motor, an electric coolbox is dead handy.

I’ve put a lock on mine to keep the loaders away from my pop

Thanks for the info everyone gives me something to go on

After the essentials, there is the matter of staying sane…

There might be radio, radio with line in, radio with bluetooth or broken / no radio! Or most annoying, working radio saying “Enter CODE”.

So I take a little FM transmitter and also a rechargeable speaker which covers most scenarios, so I can play music from my phone or ipad either through the radio or through the little speaker.

On a more practical side.

Decent gloves, torch and spare batteries, headache tablets, spare pens, spare tacho roll in case there isn’t one in the cab.

Small multi tool kit, i always carry a decent Leatherman, but at the very miniumum a multi use screwdriver kit (ex Scania ideal) inc philips, flat and selection of typical light fitting torx bits, a pair of pliers, sharp pen knife, few cable ties (beg a few big f off cable ties from a decent lorry mechanic) and some insulation tape…some companies won’t let you fit bulbs, but being able to stick a blown bulb in yourself or bodge a gammy light fitting might mean the difference between getting home or not.

Screen cleaner of some sort and suitable cloths, squeegy blade to clear the wet or misted windows and mirrors.

Light foldaway wet weather gear, including waterproof trousers and hood, and and fold up brolly isn’t needed often but when it is you’ll be glad you’ve got it.

A pen, gloves and money for coffee etc ,thats all you need for day work if you are on for a descent company ,ive got a multitool and spare fuses and a cloth to wipe goz off the dashboard aswell ,if needed.

waddy640:

Day work :unamused:

seth 70:

waddy640:

Absolutely. I used to get a good 3 hour kip in my old job during the day.

seth 70:

waddy640:

Quick release boots and a pillow to get your head down :smiley:

If you don’t keep the same unit I’d just keep the basics in my bag ,water wet wipes flask ,kitchen roll ,gloves etc.
If you are keeping your own unit I’d kit it out as if your gong to sleep in it,
I only do occasional nights out but I keep the same unit and it’s a lot easier and not so much of a bugger if you end up on a night out.

seth 70:

waddy640:

I was a day driver for five years doing a couple of days a week and managed to do few nights in the cab. Having got caught out once I carried my bedding every trip including local work.

If you’ve got the kit it’s no big deal to stick it in the cab each time.

Saying that when I first started at my place I got caught out a couple of times when I was told I’m on a day run, only later for the phone to ring and a “can you just” at the other end.

You can rough it for a odd night without any n/o gear, use your bag for a pillow, night heater on all night (obviously not at this time of year) as long as you got some cash you’ll always get fed and watered.

NewLad:
Saying that when I first started at my place I got caught out a couple of times when I was told I’m on a day run, only later for the phone to ring and a “can you just” at the other end.

You can rough it for a odd night without any n/o gear, use your bag for a pillow, night heater on all night (obviously not at this time of year) as long as you got some cash you’ll always get fed and watered.

Spot on m8 ,i cant see anybody carting bedding about and other stuff when your on day work ,you will look like a tramp walking across the yard, :blush: :blush: