Day 3-4 New driver diary

Woop! Woop!

I made it out the yard yesterday. The tank was all fixed after the low life scum robbed all the fuel. Scotland bound. Out the yard at half 5 yesterday morning and away we go northbound. The roads were nice and quiet so little traffic to worry about on my first day driving class 1.

All good on the M1, then the A1 until I got to Wetherby services to fill up. Whilst pumping the fuel, I walked down the trailer to check the load and I found the last stack was leaning backwards. Ah! It already had 4 rachet straps over it but obviously this wasn’t enough. So, a fifth one went over diagonally to stop it moving any further back. The rest of the load seemed just fine. Fuel paid for and away we go again. Up to Scotch Corner and hang a left onto the A66. M6 northbound, over the border and the hang a left to Dumfries.

I got to the first of my three drops with about 14 mins left before I needed a break. Perfect timing. Spoke to the site manager to be told ‘Go up that hill and turn left at the top.’ Ok I say and off I go. Why bother? I get up the hill but as soon as I try turning left I lose all traction on the mud and start wheel spinning. I stop, lift my axel and turn on the diff lock, no differance. GRRRRRR! :imp: Several atempts latter and still no joy. So my first go at reversing and its downhill with little to no traction. Easy does it and I make it ok. First drop done and its time for a break. Pot noodle and a slice or two of bread to calm the nerves. :smiley:

Onto the second drop which is near to Irvine on the East coast. Find the site easy enough but I’ve to go turn around as the enterance is very tight to get into. Easy does it agian and we are in. Half hour later and that delivery is off the trailer. Time for my second attempt at reversing. Off road and not a lot of room to move. I’ve got a Banksman guiding me but he wasn’t much use. The biggest problem I found was seeing in my mirrors, they were filthy as were the windows. I dropped the windows which made it a little easier. After plenty of shuffling I get the wagon turned and now to squeeze off the site. I’m out and on the way to drop number three.

My last drop was near Livingstone. Right through the centre of Glasgow in rush hour. The fun! :angry: The site I’m going to is one of our depots and I was told to leave the load on the trailer in the yard. That was easy. Trailer dropped and I’m away. Wish they were all as simple as that one.

So I have 40 minutes left of this driving period then I take a rest of 45. I was hoping to make it to Carlisle but only got as far as the junction of M74 and A701. I pulled off there and found a layby to spend the night. I had 5 mins left on my last hour of the day. Paperwork done, time for tea. Curried mince beef and Smash potatoes. Lovely! :grimacing: Curtains pulled and the tv set up. Search for channels and found TWO! I really got to get a decent aeriel. Tv packed away and laptop set up to watch a film. Bed time at Half 9 as I’m shattered.

Alarm goes off at 6am. Breaky of Frosties, walk around the truck (no trailer) and I’m away at half past. Eleven and half hour break. The Volvo is a totally differant animal without a trailer. A rather un-eventfull drive back, re-fuelled at Wetherby and then back into our yard at Barnsley. I go hand my paperwork in and I’m told to pick up a trailer from our yard, already loaded, and take it to a place in Dinnington. The trailer has a Moffet fitted to the back end making for a long overhang, better watch out for that. I get part way there and it’s break time, yes, pot noodle for lunch again. Lunch break done, I get there and have the load taken off by FLT. Whilst they are unloading me, I put in a call to the office and I’m told to go load at a place outside Doncaster. No worries. I get the the factory and sit around for an hour and half waiting for them to start loading. Whilst I’m waiting I take half hour and polish the inside of the cab as it was filthy. Just need to do the outside now. 10 mins after they start, they have finished. 10 ratchet straps later and the load is secure. 5 drops for tommorow starting at Blackburn, 2 in Preston, Knowsley and finishing in Huddersfield. Back on the road now to Barnsley and our yard and then home for the night.

So my first two days on the road in class 1 have been fun/scary/interesting and educating. Lessons learnt, slow down when approching bends as your load can move if your too fast (mine did a little bit). You can never use ‘too many’ straps. My tv aeriel is pants and I need a better one. Keep your windows and mirrors clean so you can see where your going in reverse.

More to follow.

Gloria.

Well done sound like you had a good couple of days and learnt from your experience…Keep it up that’s what makes good drivers

All the best Rick

great reading, hope all stays well for you :smiley: :smiley:

Use canned potatoes ,& canned peas with your mince. That Smash will dry yer insides out.

harry:
Use canned potatoes ,& canned peas with your mince. That Smash will dry yer insides out.

And Pot Noodle wont?

great read…thanks for the post. would love to see some pics of your cab inside shwoign fridge etc and how u settled in…look forward to ur next post

Sound like your enjoying too which is a bonus glad all going well as Brucie would say keeeeeep truckin !!!

Jennie x

Enjoyed reading your post. Hope soon i’ll be on the road, in a class 2 first of all, then get my class 1.

harry:

I love smash. :smiley:

Thanks for all the great comments. When I’m set up in ‘my’ truck I’ll post pics. I feel like I’m camping in this one as I’ve only got it for a couple of weeks so don’t want to settle in.

I think that Irvine is on the West coast, good read otherwise.Keep on truckin.

alamcculloch:
I think that Irvine is on the West coast, good read otherwise.Keep on truckin.

Doh! Thanks for the correction.

The Saxmachine:

harry:

And Pot Noodle wont?

No that stuff’s exhaust fumes will asphyxiate you long before it damages the intestines :laughing:

If you are going to get a gas ring & steel ( not Teflon ) frying pan you can cook fresh meat every day. The strange thing is that the meat that lasts the longest in your fridge is Pork. You need a 2 ring stove. Canned new spuds & peas in a sauce pan. Pork chop in the frying pan with onion & fresh tomatoes,only a little olive oil to cook the onions.Leave the chop to cook thu then turn it over. Do this only once, don’t keep flipping it. To check its done cut it in half with a good knife. The toms & onions should be done at the same time. Then pour some water from the veg into the frying pan with the meat still cooking & that will make a great gravy with no artificial gunk added. On a plate,on a tray , glass of wine & youse bin cookin’ on gas & eating like a king! & also v.therapeutic after a hard day at the coal face.