Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Jeremy my leg may look angry but believe me it is healing, its not a quick process but it does not hurt.
Christmas day is nearly upon us and in a couple of days we will wonder what all the fuss was about, at the end of the day its just another roast dinner and you can only eat so much.
We have eight sitting for lunch tomorrow, roast Brisket and all the veg and my job is head carver then its over to the destruction team, prefer Boxing day with cold meat and Bubble & pickles on the side.
Went for a nice walk this after with the Boss & Woody the Labrador, lots of Canada geese on me summer grazing don’t like that as they are like locusts when they get going. It was a mizzy rain not enough to get proper wet just enough to annoy but a pleasant walk all the same, enjoy your lunch tomorrow all, cheers Buzzer

22365337_1552412694817597_5620080501571595214_n (2).jpg

Out and about this morning, gave the steers in the barn a wheel barrow full of beef nuts first then put a new bale of haylage, picked up the first batch of new laid eggs then into the kitchen. Peeled and prepared the spuds 62 of them then the parsnips and went one step further as its Christmas day and boiled the peelings up and gave them to the chicken, gone in a jiffy. Just turned the spuds over and coated the parsnips with runny honey just the carving knife to sharpen up now ready for the off, dinner at 2pm and then recline after just the second pickup of eggs to do. later this afternoon.
The Boss always moans at the amount of time I spend on this computer but when you look at what crap is ont telly especially at this time of year I think I have the better option. Just waiting now for the arrival of younger son and family ready for the off, Cheers Buzzer.

Any of your fleet out over the Christmas and New Year period Buzzer??

bullitt:
Any of your fleet out over the Christmas and New Year period Buzzer??

Yes just the one tipping tomorrow in Southern France, he is a relief driver Mike Munroe and don’t think he has any close family so it suits him, seven others back next week by choice as you usually find when they get threatened by the wife with decorating a room work suddenly seems the better option, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
…Yes just the one tipping tomorrow in Southern France, …

Lovely part of the world and certainly not a bad area to spend Christmas. I`ve spent a couple of Christmas days in a lot, lot, worse!

Merry Christmas! :wink:

I see you only had the one out over Xmas Buzzer. I remember back in the 80s/90s that the fruit importers would pay
for you to ship out empty to load the fruit over Xmas . Has that all finished now chap or do some still do that ■■?

Dean in the past we have sent as many as a dozen trucks out empty, we some were the others we told a white lie about and got the same rate. Don’t think it happens so much nowadays as the eastern Europeans do it cheap anyway. We did have a call from an importer we used to contract to and the company he gave the job too just dropped him in the crap for six loads Christmas week, they were out of Bolzano which is not a favourite place to load from and they end up paying through the nose, we did manage to get them two trucks but not at the rate he was used to paying, what goes round comes round and I hope he kicks them in to touch for that dirty trick, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Dean in the past we have sent as many as a dozen trucks out empty, we some were the others we told a white lie about and got the same rate. Don’t think it happens so much nowadays as the eastern Europeans do it cheap anyway. We did have a call from an importer we used to contract to and the company he gave the job too just dropped him in the crap for six loads Christmas week, they were out of Bolzano which is not a favourite place to load from and they end up paying through the nose, we did manage to get them two trucks but not at the rate he was used to paying, what goes round comes round and I hope he kicks them in to touch for that dirty trick, cheers Buzzer.

Hello Buzzer, i thought as much those eastern Europeans have really buggered the job up for everyone ! Anyway glad you got
top rate for the 2 loads you did. You would like to think that the importer may start using you again but as we both know they
soon forget the companies that get them out of a hole,when they start getting offered silly rates again ! :wink:

Saw to the steers in the barn then off to see nurse at 10.10 came home and it was bitter cold so decided to make a batch of jam, out to the freezer got 5lb each of Raspberries, Strawberries and Red Gooseberries into the jam kettle to thaw and reduce ladle the excess jipper of and reduce like a source in a separate saucepan and when the mass is reduced to a thick consistency re add the reduction and then in went just 3 kilo’s of preserving sugar, then jar up while still hot and leave to go cold then put lids on ready for store, I don’t like sickly sweet jam and this on test was tart just right for me, cant buy this stuff in a shop that’s for sure, cheers Buzzer.

Late Season greetings BUZZER AND ALL i still check out the posts however been busy.to be honest i am trying to ween myself off of FORUMS as i am busy rewriting my working history. if i was a clever as some i would soon crack it, english grammar was way back in the queue in my school life.

Buzzer please tell me what JIPPER?s in jam making terms…also as for the BOLZANO TRUCKS must have been apples. i used to load out of MERANO ,FROZEN APPLE JUICE,AT MINUS -25 in drums, you could never freeze it, did you ever go back over the RACHEN Pass and not the BRENNER to FUSSEN it is now the E532 another seat of your pants ,that brings back the old memories in a 33 daf.that was the bees knees back then.

Once we started loading MULLER’S yogurt from south of MUNICH from the original dairy we stopped going to BOLZANO. Rokold were one of the first to bring it back to the uk, the originally the importer was a dairy from just out side LEEDS, probably owned by the milk marketing board,blimey i had forgotten about all that back then in the 1980s. i am going back under my stone cheers … good luck with your leg dbp.

PDB my Mrs always said I ought to write a book of our life within the transport industry but if I went from the beginning to now there would surely be several volumes as fourty five years in our business could not be condensed in to one volume, I would need a chapter to name all the men who have worked for us over that time, some good some exceptional and some I would not even want to remember.
Now moving on to the word Jipper, this is just local vernacular for any form of liquid usually of the edible type so hope that clears that one up.
You are right we did used to load apples in Merano and boy did they know how to overload a trailer so you had to be on your guard when loading, not every one’s favourite place to load in Italy and when you consider you can get only £300 less for loading around Milan who in there right mind would want to go all the way up there.
Funny old world as we also used to load Muller yoghurts from Germany back in the day, we used to sub this from PJK who had the burger bun job out of Hemel for McDonalds, nice light loads both ways but we found also you had to bang them Yoghurt pallets in hard else they would concertina forward and then what a mess when you went to tip out.
Heard from a chap in Australia said you were over there was this true ? any ways I have written part of a book already just answering your queries, cheers Buzzer.

Late up this morning as it wuzz dark and blowing a hoolie and thunderin, Mrs D got soaked walking the dog and I felt guilty (not) having a layin. Yesterday my mate came and took two bales of feed to the steers outside then I cleared back the muck round the feeder in the barn and put it to the back, then a good litter up and gave them some beef nuts I had left over, they liked that.
Today put a new bale into them then of to see nurse to get me leg dressed, can do it myself but they like to check it to see its progress, being invaded in a while by four grandkids looking for the big brunch, 12 jumbo sausages, two packs of bacon & two tins of baked beans, love watching them scoff that down.
This afternoon got to go and try and secure a dozen or more bales of haylage to see me through to the end of January when they all go, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer that photo looks as if it is Vaduz or , or it could be BREGENZ where you went over the bridge to austria ,i once got fined 25 swiss francs at Reinheck,st gallen for me being a novice,yes as we all know ,we learned on the job and never told anybody [untill now]
I had loaded in Milan for Munchen and told to transit swiss via Como ,via chur,i brought transit tax i think was 5 swiss franc,knowing i would not make it that day [i knew no different] i had a transit permit .I park up for the night

To the boarder the next morning all was good untill they asked for the transit tax ,as you know would they speak english .“no way,” but i got the message,the transit tax was up untill 10 clock that night when all trucks had to park up, i did not know ,i went daft ,not good,inthe end a swiss officer spoke in perfect english and told me i was running illegal, because i had no tax,i protested in queens english,AND HE GOT MY MESSAGE ,you pay a days tax,and in ENGLAND A DAY IS 24 HOURS not untill 10pm the same day.
they then threw my passport into a box and more or less said ,be a good man and pay the fine plus a days tax for the miles you have run this morning to get to the boarder…i was what you called …ed the trouble was i did not have any swiss francs,only sterling,and the money change was not on the boarded but way back, in the end i did as i was told swallowed my pride,earned and lesson from that day to this I vermantly hate any think swiss ,also that you will never win.and i used to approach every new boarder,all europe, with that attitude,and it all ways got me through ,however Frank-fort oder was tricky.happy new year cbp.

Well we certainly getting more than our fair share of the wet stuff, every bit of ground is saturated now. Aint heard from Wrighty lately, are you ok mate ? getting drowned like us no doubt any ways out with the old and in with the new year and January always goes in a flash, wont be long and we will be making Haylage, cheers Buzzer.

Morning Buzzer

May I take this opportunity to wish you and all the contributors on this thread a Happy new year and a prosperous 2018.
Not been the best festive period for Alice and myself as we went down with this cold/flu bug that has knocked us both for six, started on Christmas eve and were still coughing now.
Stayed in last night and had another quiet one, a good way to save money but are we the only one’s who think the quality of TV programmes is crap…? it’s enough to drive you to the pub…!

On a brighter note mi Jack Russell Snook gave birth to six pups on Thursday, all doing well and they aint half growing fast and also Alice’s daughter Lydia is in labour with her first child so looking forward to some news later today.
Well that’s all thats happened up ere back to it tomorrow so get back to a bit of normality…

All the best

Wrighty.

WP_20171130_004.jpg

Hi all and a happy new year to all on here. Like buzzer getting a bit worried about you being quiet wrighty but good to hear your ok appart from this flu virus me and the wife had it started boxing day still feel crook know. Congrates on puppies and hope all goes well for birth is it alice’s first grandchild.That’s it back o my sick bed where i have been since thursday. :smiley:

Gerbil I know a private practicing doctor who does herbal and other remedies, he used to drive for us years ago and not a lot of people realise how talented TIR Tone is, he does not charge a great deal for his services but in the same breath does not guarantee results, at least not good ones. He can be contacted through these thread’s but is quite busy this time of year, don’t be put off by his appearance sandle’s, ankle sock’s and tight shorts are the normal attire, hope this helps with your illness, HNY and good luck Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Gerbil I know a private practicing doctor who does herbal and other remedies, he used to drive for us years ago and not a lot of people realise how talented TIR Tone is, he does not charge a great deal for his services but in the same breath does not guarantee results, at least not good ones. He can be contacted through these thread’s but is quite busy this time of year, don’t be put off by his appearance sandle’s, ankle sock’s and tight shorts are the normal attire, hope this helps with your illness, HNY and good luck Buzzer.

Could also try the other mappo buzzer he also does the healing wee jock has experience of it I believe

Well at 13.05pm Our Lydia produced a bouncing baby girl, just over 8lb and in good health if the rest of the year is as good it’ll be alright…

Cheers Wrighty.

wrighty:
Well at 13.05pm Our Lydia produced a bouncing baby girl, just over 8lb and in good health if the rest of the year is as good it’ll be alright…

Cheers Wrighty.

Well your into Grandad territory now that’ll make you feel old, you will have to get her interested in farming early then you can just dish the orders out later on mate, Buzzer.