Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Evening Buzzer

Well it’s been a busy week so far parked up tonight at Leeming Bar, loaded out of Bellshill this afternoon for York int morning then I don’t know what’s after that.
It’s forecasting a chance of snow on the hills tonight at home, hopefully not so much as we get nearer lambing and with cows still calving…it’s going to get busy this next few weeks, don’t suppose you fancy a spot of lambing(food+drink supplied).

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20170228_002.jpg

Hi WRIGHTY surely that is not a road Tyre it looks like a slick…as for the trailer whack -err under she will go ,or get on the winder and give it some ,or get a fork lift to take the weight off, have they not got air bags suspension on the rear, drop the back down.thank god i have not all that to contend do now .Buzzer im keeping a eye out.but busy editing my" muse" ,no idea what i am doing…sounds like the old days looking for a good heifer two legged one…pdb.

Evening PDB

The air was dumped out of the units suspension so I had to wind the legs up in low gear, not easy with 29.5 tonnes of milk int tank got it under eventually after a couple of try’s.
The trailer tyre was nearly new, they are Goodyear tyres and the tread pattern is just three grooves around the tyre…

Cheers Wrighty.

Thanks for that wrighty they wont be able to retread them tires then.or re-cap…looks like a end of a socket set bit .

They are saying that more dairy farmers are going bust, you will soon be going over to France or further afield, to collect our milk…What sort of milk storage do theses dairies have capacity ,i mean a like a weeks supply.
I would have thought the farmers union would have sorted the supermarkets out by now,
I know how important for the cows to be miked but if the "milk tanker drivers " refused !to collect, untill the farmers get the right pay per liter you could be the country s/farmers ,saviors… PDB.

Remember once we had a complete new set of a directional tyre’s from Michelin a brand I favoured greatly when in charge, they were a tad more expensive across the board but we had fewer problems generally than with other brands. Now when these tyres arrived (we were the guinea pigs here) but they were at an attractive price to get us interested and they only had 12 mil of tread when new, we put them on a Scania 400 V8 with only one driver and they did phenominal mileage and then we cut them and did more miles but alas they were too good as they did so well and they were discontinued. The Michy cases were always sort after for remoulding as well so no probs shifting them either.
Wrighty when I was first starting out driving an artic I was sent to pick up a loaded trailer of skimmed milk powder in me GUY Big J no air in’t that only in the brake lines, well the trailer was dropped a little bit high but being green I never noticed this and backed under but never quite had it lined up proper, the pin missed the jaw and rode over the plate pushing the unit down in the process and sprung back up when off the end of the fifth wheel, next hour winding the legs up albeit with only 20 tons on but got me in a right sweat, I got better we a bit of practice in time never wanted to go back there again, Buzzer

Evening Buzzer

I know what you mean about the old steel springs, but with air suspension you would think it would be easy to drop a trailer at the right height. Up until the last 18 months we were an all Michelin fleet but our fleet manager did a deal with Goodyear, and are now on a pence per mile contract. Not a big fan of them especially in the wet as they tend to spin a bit and I don’t think they will wear as well…

Cheers Wrighty.

caterham 008.jpg

Sunday was litter up day and these little sods tried to head ■■■■ the round bale of straw before I got of my loader machine, summit about the smell they like I reckon plus its got a fair bit of black grass in it which they like. Yesterday I put a few beef nuts in the feeder and they never touched em at first but today I did the same and they all know what they are now, just some I had left over from the cows but good for them to know what’s in a white plastic bag makes moovin them later on so much easier, Buzzer.

Photo0650.jpg

This was the first new truck I bought but this is in it’s second life after TIR Tone had thrashed the daylights out of it up and down and across Europe, Buzzer.

17190788_1467893779897201_6923864375445428749_n.jpg

Buzzer:
This was the first new truck I bought but this is in it’s second life after TIR Tone had thrashed the daylights out of it up and down and across Europe, Buzzer.

You are so right Buzzer. Tone said that the only thing to pass

him was a motorbike. He swore me to silence but being a religious

kind of a person I can’t keep silent any longer.Maybe I can sleep

better at night now.

Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

Buzzer:

You are so right Buzzer. Tone said that the only thing to pass

him was a motorbike. He swore me to silence but being a religious

kind of a person I can’t keep silent any longer.Maybe I can sleep

better at night now.

Your dead right there Charlie, every one thought Mappo’s sandals had crepe souls but in fact it was 1/8 inch steel plate that’s why he always walked slowly another reason why he was always second up to the bar to get a drink in, also that’s why he appeared welded to the one armed bandits on the ferries because the magnets in the machines held him in place till the ship docked, he has been sussed now eh Buzzer.

Speechless… well almost. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve just sent you a PM Tone and now looking on here and there you are. Spooky.

Just looking at that Gobstopper makes you want to get yer bag packed and ship out.

How many miles did Tone put on her JD?
Did you actually PAY him to drive it? I reckon he owes you. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Balders, blimey you’ve been busy today, posting here there and everywhere…
When i drove that Globetrotter, Buzzer was rubbing his hands together…It was worked as hard if not harder than the
rest of the then small fleet…Twas the start of proper tramping round Europe with that, ie 3 and even 4 legged work with the blue book…
I thoroughly enjoyed those times, in fact the best of a 23 year stint of doing Euro work…
Great times and great memories of an era we were lucky to have been a part of…

Mappo & ex Davies drivers from the past. In days of old when drivers were bold and life on the road was adventure, with the tanks full of fuel and permits in hand no time to waste GEL on was the pace, at a quarter to two came the grinding halt as the Archers were heard on the BBC, no sooner done it was off to Irun papers stamped and fly to Madrid, customs cleared and tip the buns now to Syd’s for lots more fun, load not ready not even packed no wonder you were always knacked, load at eleven should have been seven inspections done T forms complete GEL once more as a ferry to meet, land in Blighty and a welcome site for someone else tipping your trailer tonight, home for a day and maybe a night then back at the wheel for more delight, the life was great way back then the best there was and today’s not the same, you had the best that’s for sure it will never be like that anymore, Buzzer.

Class.

Two helpers today…

WP_20170304_010.jpg

wrighty:
Two helpers today…

Must be 75 then eh.

Buzzer:
Mappo & ex Davies drivers from the past. In days of old when drivers were bold and life on the road was adventure, with the tanks full of fuel and permits in hand no time to waste GEL on was the pace, at a quarter to two came the grinding halt as the Archers were heard on the BBC, no sooner done it was off to Irun papers stamped and fly to Madrid, customs cleared and tip the buns now to Syd’s for lots more fun, load not ready not even packed no wonder you were always knacked, load at eleven should have been seven inspections done T forms complete GEL once more as a ferry to meet, land in Blighty and a welcome site for someone else tipping your trailer tonight, home for a day and maybe a night then back at the wheel for more delight, the life was great way back then the best there was and today’s not the same, you had the best that’s for sure it will never be like that anymore, Buzzer.

Buzzer.
I read that twice and then realised it’s a poem. There really is no end to your skills

Buzzer:

Hi john,

Excellent and very true.
Regards to you and The Boss

Richard

After reading your last post buzzer i started to sort of sing -song it, then , i thought,it is a rhyme/poem very good as well it is you who should be writing a book,when i read the post you all put up from the 1970s esp the new VENTIGMILIE going on the old road before the auto route must have been frighting,bad enough going to NIECE market in the 1980s …if you did not live near a port back then 1970s like me we had no idea such work was being done all though i used to go to all the main docks, i never new about EUROPEAN HAULAGE untill 1980 so you old boys done well…ps like the new beasts,could be tucking in to one of their steaks this time next year…

For the first time for years i pan fired two" new-Zealand" -lamb leg steaks ,6 mins each side , eaten with [mint[ out of a jar, floured white rice] ,with broad beans [frozen]taken out of the shells, just put them in a little hot water and pop them out ,peas,pint of old speckled hen[bottle] …retirement the best job i ever had,however no UK lamb around,well even mutton, where is it …IS IT MOSTLY EXPORTED .any meat men still doing the meat job or is it not health and safety now ■■ I HAVE NO IDEA…PDB.