David Watson Transport?

Anybody on for David Watson ?
Usual questions, conditions, pay etc ?

Been covered before, check this thread from a few years back, including replies from the actual main man Mr Watson:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118395&hilit=david+watson

All in all, seems a very decent company, somewhat complicated pay structure but I hear their drivers do well out of it.

Gonna get my Class 1 (HIAB Class 2 rigid atm) and may apply myself at some point.

Cheers for that, makes interesting reading.

No worries!

They’ve got a shiny new fleet of Volvos running out at the moment, looking good on the road!

Sounds great! Any depots in Yorkshire!?

The company has recently been put up for sale by agents looking for a buyer,there name is not mentioned in the adverts but there is not another one of the same size in the country.

Shandy123:
Sounds great! Any depots in Yorkshire!?

They’ve one in Sherburn in Elmet

Gardner6LYT:
The company has recently been put up for sale by agents looking for a buyer,there name is not mentioned in the adverts but there is not another one of the same size in the country.

Surprising! Perhaps it’s not DW then? Seems they’re still expanding seems strange they’d want to sell… Anyone on here know anything from the inside?

The company in question does appear to be DWT, however, we were contacted by a company last year to see if we were interested in a valuation, no different to getting your house valued, so we thought why not.

We were not aware of the advert, this is probably them trying to get interest from a possible buyer so they can make money on commission. If someone came along with an exceptional offer we would obviously consider it.

However, this was last year and we are NOT in talks with any possible buyers.

We are always looking for drivers as we are continuing to grow. If we do not have a position available at the time you apply you’ll be added to a waiting list and contacted when a position becomes available. Should you be suitable that is :slight_smile:

@mdwatson, thanks for the info. I’ll have a look at your site.

Be very wary of these. The website had lots of pictures of shiny big units all relatively new, however the reality is somewhat different. I went there and was given a 12 plate Volvo drawbar unit with no fridge and not really a cab to be away all week in.
Their pay structure is complicated and in the 4weeks I was there I never got close to what I was on before or what was promised at the interview stage and lost approximately£400.
All in all I could never recommend them to anybody. Image is more important to the arrogant management than anything else. I did see a payslip of one of their class 1 drivers who took home £1700 for his 4week pay period but they pay nights out and any expenses weekly. Very odd.

I went for a job interview at their Medway depot a few years back… its was more Cliffe than Medway est… but after filling out the application… The manager there came back, took a look at the application, laughed and said “Ha, you might wanna end this process, we dont pay our drivers that much”… Which was worrying. after further discussion, to which he explained the ridiculously complicated pay structure and that its a start when they want you to start, and i was gonna be put in a ■■■■■ MAN day cab flatbed, i stood up, shook the man’s hand and said “Thanks but no thanks”. Thankfully, i hadn’t left my current employment at the time, and im still at the same now… which im very happy about. So just because the gear looks the business, it doesn’t necessarily mean the wages is…

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They are advertising on: Advertising link removed

David Watson Transport is looking for HGV C+E HIAB drivers in the following areas:

Essex
Norfolk
Northampton
Stafford
Yorkshire
Kent
Circa £33-£38k p/a including bonuses and overtime, pension scheme and private health care are available for the right candidate.

Due to an increased workload, we are currently looking for a HGV C+E HIAB drivers to work out of various depots, preferably with HIAB experience but not essential as full training will be provided.

You will be collecting and delivering a wide range of loads to addresses across the country. The role will involve nights out and occasional weekend work.

As the role will be customer-facing you must be polite, presentable and willing to act as an ambassador for the company. You will need to be able to work on your own initiative and have a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude.

Something a bit different, little bit of flexibility, and using ones brain required here maybe, not the same thing day in day out. As with everything it will suit some and not others, lots of old school skills needed too, I think I’d be interested if I was a year or two younger. :slight_smile: