Dave Young, writing in T&D September 2007

speculates on a conversation he had which centred on, “why, on trucks with automated (and hence no clutch pedal) don’t they put the brake pedal further to the left?”

I own an automatic car, and yes. The brake pedal IS further to the left, or rather, wider than normal, as is the case with the majority of automatic cars that I have owned and driven. I’ve used ‘Left-foot braking’ for more years than I’d care to remember, to the extent that, when I last hired a car in Spain, whenever I wished to reduce speed, I invariably ‘dipped’ the clutch pedal, (and put my hand into the door tray to change gear :blush: :unamused: :unamused: ).

The difference between ‘Automatics’ and ‘Automated’ Truck gearboxes is that an Automatic will invariably have a fluid flywheel. If I sit there waiting for a gap with a few revs on, but holding it on the brakes, I’m not generating ‘wear’ just ‘heat’. And providing that such actions remain proportionate, then no damage is done.

Truck gearboxes, on the other hand, use, what is effectively, a standard clutch arrangement that is controlled electronically, albeit with a few other gizmo’s to provide ‘slip’. Indeed, we have now reached the stage, through electronic control, whereby baulk rings are becoming obsolete, enabling different lubricants to be used, and the ‘sealed for life’ unit is on the horizon.

Except that, if you gave the average driver a ‘two pedal’ arrangement whereby ‘racing starts’ could be practiced, I think that ‘life’ would be very short lived. :wink:

Nice idea, :slight_smile: but one better left on the drawing board.
:wink:

would the steering shaft not get in the way,with moving the pedal over to the left.