Dashcam placement

As title says.
I got a dashcam.for Xmas.
Where’s best position for it.
Most seem be middle of windscreen at top where interior mirror usually is.
Just curious where best place is to place it

edd1974:
As title says.
I got a dashcam.for Xmas.
Where’s best position for it.
Most seem be middle of windscreen at top where interior mirror usually is.
Just curious where best place is to place it

Interior mirror?
In your car?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Going to place it in my truck.
Wondered where best place is to place it.
I know.in cars you see them under the interior mirror in middle of windscreen.

But best place in a truck to put it thanks

Mine lives…

In the middle of the screen within the swept area of the wiper at the bottom. I think most cameras now have the same field of vision so you should be capturing everything going on right in front of you. If like me, you hop into different (but same make) motors make sure that your pointed outwards correctly. I can’t imagine anything worse than something happening and you confidently go to check the tape only to find you filmed your sun visor for the day. I find that a slight angle downwards gets everything you need. You don’t want 50/50 because the sky tends to dominate the picture, so 60/40 downwards.

If it’s not your truck and your employer hasn’t already bothered with them then the best place for it is in your own car.

It’s a dash cam that would explain where to put it unless people would like to expand on some place else to put it other than the place it’s supposed to be

toonsy:
If it’s not your truck and your employer hasn’t already bothered with them then the best place for it is in your own car.

The firm…

I drive for does have them fitted and guess what? Last time some wurzel crossed the line and took large bits including the fuel filter off, the firms camera wasn’t working. The drivers personal one was. Result, the driver covered his own arse.

That’s all this job is about now, covering yer arse.

yourhavingalarf:

toonsy:

The firm…

I drive for does have them fitted and guess what? Last time some wurzel crossed the line and took large bits including the fuel filter off, the firms camera wasn’t working. The drivers personal one was. Result, the driver covered his own arse.

Yeah I get that and I get that in some instances your own camera helps.

Maybe its attitude but my opinion is that if the company cam doesn’t work for x, y, z reason and theres nothing immediately obviously wrong with it then the company doesn’t check it and therefore tough on them if they need to rely on it.

In contrast my old place had camera audits every so often to check for working order etc etc

yourhavingalarf:

toonsy:

The firm…

Yep.
Right/Wrong?
Good/Bad?
Now/Then?
None of that matters now. Cover your arse for your own good.

Edit. Typo
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I, once dropped a trailer after picking it up 5 minutes before, and my boss accessed the truck dashcam, it showed me hooking up, i.e., the movement of the truck, when I gave it the two tugs, and when I moved about 50 metres and it fell off, I was exonerated from any blame, as I had adhered to company procedures by the two tugs, I still don’tknow how it happened.

Sapper

Bigtruck3:
It’s a dash cam that would explain where to put it unless people would like to expand on some place else to put it other than the place it’s supposed to be

Ah so it goes on my dash someware lol

Wagons that are just leaving the company had them on the bottom of the windscreen near the middle but we found the windscreen demister melted the glue on the sticky pads and quite a few came off.

Replacement motors have them at the top of the window in line with the middle of the passenger seat. Some have been there 2 years and not fallen off yet. Most are a wide angle view so will still pick up enough even though they’re on the left of the vehicle.

we have all ours at the top of the windscreen in the centre. Wide angle lens so easily picks up everything. Very useful to have, recently had 2 rigids in convoy loaded with 10ft width on a single carriageway (a377) a daft woman in a fairly new disco saw them, moved too far over to her left and damaged her mirror and side step. She claimed the first lorry was ‘going way too fast and the load was overhanging the white line far too much, he hit my drivers side mirror off and damaged my side rail’

… we checked the footage from the second lorry, the first one passed her at around 25mph and funnily enough her drivers side mirror and side step were untouched. The load was also tucked left as much as possible and a transit van also passed him with no issues. She was informed of our evidence of this and funnily enough dropped the matter :laughing:

I tend to put it at the central bottom of the windscreen near the unswept bit.

As I have to remove it every day, I don’t fancy trailing cables across the top of the screen each day. Plus sometimes the suction pads can give way if its being removed daily and you don’t want it dropping too far.

Am actually surprised no one has commented on “nothing in the swept area” rule. The one that almost all new trucks ignore with their lane sensors etc. If they can do that I don’t see why a dashcam can’t go there.

Oh if its a Nextbase one, I’d set the GForce setting to either low or off. Its supposed to detect impacts, but its too sensitive for trucks.

Re: arse covering
If the company has them fitted, RTFM and learn how to use it. Then if you screw up and your at fault at least you’ll know how to reformat the memory card PDQ and erase the damning evidence

peirre:
If the company has them fitted, RTFM and learn how to use it. Then if you screw up and your at fault at least you’ll know how to reformat the memory card PDQ and erase the damning evidence

Yeah cos nothing screams guilt like a wiped memory card.

Conor:

peirre:

Yeah cos nothing screams guilt like a wiped memory card.

It’s was faulty… honest Guv

I know if you have a dash camera and declare to your insurance.
You have to have it in . And if you have a crash and found you don’t have it on etc you can be prosecuted breaching terms and.conditions etc.

Where is if you don’t declare having one you can use it when you want .do what you like .then if you have a crash and at fault can throw it n say no I don’t have a camera

peirre:
…you’ll know how to reformat the memory card PDQ and erase the damning evidence

All the ones I’ve seen require a key to access the unit or have it stored on a hard drive, so wiping it could be harder and leave lots of evidence.

Some insurance companies give lower quotes if you declare a dashcam but as mentioned you’ll run into problems if its not fitted at time of accident. Not sure what happens if the card gets corrupted however (has happened to me).

Conor:
Wagons that are just leaving the company had them on the bottom of the windscreen near the middle but we found the windscreen demister melted the glue on the sticky pads and quite a few came off.

Replacement motors have them at the top of the window in line with the middle of the passenger seat. Some have been there 2 years and not fallen off yet. Most are a wide angle view so will still pick up enough even though they’re on the left of the vehicle.

We’re the opposite, our old units had them middle top now our new ones are fitted lower in the middle and I put my dash cam next to the company one so it’s just within the swept area .