Dashcam help required

I’ve eventually got with the programme and got meself a dashcam - I confess right now I don’t know much about them but one of our guys had an issue on the road recently that he was innocent of and I’m gonna make sure I’m covered in future.

So I’ve got this piece of kit which wasn’t cheap (HD, GPS etc) and it was a “Which” best buy.

Question is with a 32 GB micro sim how much time will it record before over writing?

Sorry to expose you all to my unworldliness but I know there’s guys out there who are really clued up on this type of kit.

Thanks in advance, Tim.

First thing I did was…

Put a 64 GB in. That will hold a day’s worth of driving. Spend good money and get a quality card from a reputable manufacturer.

My overwrite is 3 minutes. My camera is at the bottom of the windscreen and it’s angled to get 85% of the road and 15% of the skyline.

Remember, it will also film your f ups as well as your triumphs.

It all depends on what resolution you have the recording set to.
Mine is on 1080 and will hold about 3 hours worth of clips on a 32gb card.

Some machines might have issues with cards bigger than 32gb so check your model before buying a bigger card. Also get a class 10 card.

I think mine starts over writing after about 4 ish hours on an 8 GB card.
Don’t worry about it though, if you get an incident you want to keep, just press the save button and it’ll protect that file from being overwritten anyway. I think your default file length will be 1 minute long so as long as you hit the button within a few seconds of the incident you want to keep, it will protect 1 minute of driving before you hit the button.
These cameras use a separate folder for these protected files and will also be somewhere in the region of 30 or so ‘slots’ for storage of these event files. What this means is that every time you press the save button on the camera, you’ll have a certain amount of slots for these files to be stored in.
If like I have you fill up this ‘protected’ folder, it will just delete the oldest file next and so the cycle continues!
I always hit the save button on many minor incidents of car driving muppettry just for entertainment at a later date! As I said above, each time I save ‘an event’ / incident, it will over write the oldest first.
You’l most likely have a shock / G sensor setting on it where by it will save an event file (protected) in the event of a collision . The snag I found was though, it would ping at me and save a file everytime I went over an expansion joint on a bridge or went over a speed bump so I turned that feature off. Even turned down to minimum it will still go off and save it as an event.
Hope that helps.

m1cks:
It all depends on what resolution you have the recording set to.
Mine is on 1080 and will hold about 3 hours worth of clips on a 32gb card.

Some machines might have issues with cards bigger than 32gb so check your model before buying a bigger card. Also get a class 10 card.

even at 1080p there seems to be quite a variance in how much memory is used with different cameras. I will get just over 5hrs out of 32gb. (480mb-550mb per 5 min clip)
If it is set at 720p I will get about 8 hours for 32gb. Obviously the quality is not as good and in most cases it won’t pick up reg nmbers but there would be good enough detail to work out what was happening .

Thanks, chaps. 32GB is the one recommended for mine.

Gembo:
You’l most likely have a shock / G sensor setting on it where by it will save an event file (protected) in the event of a collision . The snag I found was though, it would ping at me and save a file everytime I went over an expansion joint on a bridge or went over a speed bump so I turned that feature off. Even turned down to minimum it will still go off and save it as an event.
Hope that helps.

When I first started using mine I thought there was a fault as many files were not getting overwritten, I was needing to reformat the card every week do get back to its full 5 hour capacity. Then I realised slamming the door or going over a cattle grid was saving that 5 min segment as an incident. I too have the g sensor thing switched off,

Bluey Circles:

Gembo:
Hope that helps.

When I first started using mine I thought there was a fault as many files were not getting overwritten, I was needing to reformat the card every week do get back to its full 5 hour capacity. Then I realised slamming the door or going over a cattle grid was saving that 5 min segment as an incident. I too have the g sensor thing switched off,

Yeah, I think the function maybe OK in a car but the shed 6x4 Axor I normally have to endure that’ll shake your bleddy fillings out , it was going off every 5 minutes!
At the moment Its in a 16 plate MAN which is like driving a car in comparison but ive still got the G sensor switched off.
As above, if theres an incident, I just hit the save button on the side of the camera.

Not needed it . . .yet, but I have a spare card so I can swop over in case of an incident. I trust nothing.
And as youravingalarf says it records everything, so my driving is even better than the previous 100% perfection it was!

Asda do quality branded 64gig for £21

Franglais:
Not needed it . . .yet, but I have a spare card so I can swop over in case of an incident. I trust nothing.
And as youravingalarf says it records everything, so my driving is even better than the previous 100% perfection it was!

Having two sounds like a very good idea. Cheers Franglais

There should be a button on your Dashcam that “protects” files.

i.e. if you have a near miss, you can push the button and that portion of the recording will be saved forever more.