Dashcam footage

home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/m … 3859513596

Nice to see the driver carried out the procedure approved by Beverly Bell and shunted the care safely onto the hard shoulder before stopping

Horrendous driving, obvious the car was entering off the slip well before, so easy to avoid.
Yes the car should give way (and all that crap) but this could have ended a lot worse.

Driver should be ashamed to call himself a professional driver.

10 times + a day this happens to me and I avoid a drama by a simple act of easing off, heaven forbid I may even pop the brakes on to help.

Notice how the driver closes the gap early on realising whats about to happen.

Shocking.

The footage, captured on the lorry’s dashboard camera, meant that the lorry driver was cleared of blame for the incident and no insurance claim was made against him or his employers.

Bollox- sorry the driver maybe technically correct in his ‘I have right of way’ attitude but in reality he/she is a danger to other road users.

i’m not afraid to say i’m glad the driver got cleared and the car driver got what he deserved.

Maybe he’ll do a shoulder check next time.

What I can never understand is the car drivers belief they have to make for the middle lane & there is a physical barrier to their left preventing them from skipping across the chevrons giving them another 10 seconds to figure out how they are going to join. Surely you’re better off taking you chances with crossing a white line than taking it on with a truck.

Moggles :imp:

Dipper_Dave:
Horrendous driving, obvious the car was entering off the slip well before, so easy to avoid.
Yes the car should give way (and all that crap) but this could have ended a lot worse.

10 times + a day this happens to me and I avoid a drama by a simple act of easing off, heaven forbid I may even pop the brakes on to help.

Shocking.

The footage, captured on the lorry’s dashboard camera, meant that the lorry driver was cleared of blame for the incident and no insurance claim was made against him or his employers.

Bollox- sorry the driver maybe technically correct in his ‘I have right of way’ attitude but in reality he/she is a danger to other road users.

This ^^^

It goes without saying that the car driver was an idiot who needs to learn to drive, but why couldn’t the lorry driver knock back a couple of clicks to make the whole situation safe.

I’ve no doubt that the “he had right of way” brigade will disagree though :frowning:

tachograph:

Dipper_Dave:

Shocking.

This ^^^

It goes without saying that the car driver was an idiot who needs to learn to drive, but why couldn’t the lorry driver knock back a couple of clicks to make the whole situation safe.

I’ve no doubt that the “he had right of way” brigade will disagree though :frowning:

I also agree, I was taught / brought up to ‘zip merge’ where if there’s a queue you always let a vehicle in and things flow smoother.

Ok, there wasn’t a queue but it would’ve been obvious there was a car about to join, you’ve got mirrors.

Also, the commentary… The driver was below the 56mph limit… The driver had no idea what was about to happen… Really??

Also, I’d say he was too close to the box jockey anyway, 2 second rule? :grimacing:

Must admit though, I’m going to share it on facebook and back the driver to the hilt, hopefully it might stop just 1 nob head force their way in type person :smiling_imp:

Maybe the lorry driver could have avoided this, maybe he didn’t see it, what you are seeing from the cameras viewpoint isn’t quite what the driver could be seeing, one thing is clear, the car driver simply has no awareness of the danger he is putting himself in and has got off light ,hopefully learning something.

You can’t possibly know what the driver did or didn’t see from his viewpoint, the dash cam gives a different aspect. If he’s been cleared then I would say he must of had a good case on his/her behalf. Who are we to pass judgment on a 30 second video clip?

Maybe the lorry driver could have anchored on, But what was he carrying? maybe it was safer not to anchor on?

Right or wrong the car driver hits the lorry no the other way about. Maybe the lorry driver did see maybe he didn’t but one thing is for sure the car driver defo did see. Roads are full of these wallopers, no pity from me.

Im sorry the car driver is to blame here

For anyone who hasn’t driven a truck, its quite simple:
When approaching a motorway junction we look in the nearside mirror a lot, instinct tells us the cars going fast enough to ■■■■ it, the cars that are accelerating enough to also ■■■■ it, the cars that are doddering that may just about make it, then the cars that have no chance and will be faced with a side perspective view of a truck or trailer and have to back off.

The random element are those that won’t quite make it but will still go for it and will need a bit of help.

I have no doubt the driver of the truck saw what was coming and either by lack of talent/judgement or just plain dumb stupidity did everything he could to hinder/endanger the car rather than make allowances for it.

Course the car driver should give way but then he is obviously not a professional driver.

But then neither is the driver of the truck.

Course taking the high horse approach is dangerous but then when push comes to shove I will back off from this contest, not to spare the car driver more because of the paperwork and delays involved.

Dash cams have their place but in this instance the evidence presented gives a false representation of what occurred.

The truck driver hit the car on purpose.

I think the truck was to close to the lorry in front.
I think truck hit car on purpose.
But, in the eyes of the law, truck driver was right.

I agree the car is to blame and it looks like the wagon driver has shown a complete lack of defensive driving, but it could be slightly possible the wagon driver did not see the car.
The camera has a fish eye lens on it to take in a wider optical area and is mounted further forward than the driver, so if he didn’t see the car come up the inside and his dash could have block the rest of the view.
I think I will sit on the white line …erm fence with this one

A few things…

Car driver got what was deserved - anyone stupid enough to race a HGV, deserves to have a substantial amount of damage done to their car

Truck driver should easily have seen that situation arising, and prevented the incident occurring at all, which in all honesty shows arrogance - something this industry can do without!

Since when has there been a 56mph speed limit?? :-/

Dipper_Dave:
when push comes to shove

:laughing: Litterally. :unamused:
Bet the car driver needed new knickers that day !

Car driver barges he’s/her way out. The driver who is looking forwards is responsible for any outcome. Why should a driver have to look behind to compensate for poor driving? It’s a busy bit of road and maybe the lorry is close to the lorry in front, but the ‘fisheye’ camera does not give a true view IMO. How many times have you seen both motors slowing at junctions due to both drivers being indecisive.

The lorry driver did the correct thing, he didn’t move an inch and neither do I, you see this every day all the car had to do was accelerate and it is quite clear the car hit the lorry. You give way to the right, the car saw the lorry for a long time. And lmao at the two who said the lorry hit the car deliberately, come back when you have a bit of experience and you may see it differently

■■■■ driving from the lorry…far too close to the lorry in front…2 second rule anyone?

Also, could’ve easily avoided the collision by easing up on the loud pedal…should’ve been done for careless driving.

Tossers like this give the rest of us a bad name.