Dashcam Advice

I bought a dashcam from a garage that turned out to be rubbish for about £25, so I need to buy another.

Which one shall I buy? Cheap ones are obviously no good, so price does not matter, just want a good one.

I have had a nextbase 312 gw from Halfords I think it cost about £80 or so, I’ve had it about 3 months now without showing any faults, it has a 140 wide angle lens, 1080p hd recording and has smart phone wifi so I needed an app which was free.

I know they’re expensive but I went for the Roadhawk HD2.

Solid build quality, no signs of overheating and full 180p HD at 60fps.

We had Smart Witness HD cams fitted to the trucks, they’re ■■■■! Boss wants them taken out. He looked at my roadhawk and got one for his car.

Nextbase 510G is the best one out there according to every review I seen, and going by the one I got it is very good both day and night (thats when most fall down). All nextbase ones are good however just with diff quality or features.

Pretty small, very long cable and easy to setup but would recommend a 32GB SD card of the type recommended on the box (higher quality type).

Think halfords might be selling them on offer currently.

Edit: uh oh, this is going to turn out to be a which sat nav thread. :smiley:

Thanks , have ordered a nextbase from amazon.

Snarley:

Which one ?

High res is the key. Nothing below 1080p is worth bothering with imo.
The chip that stores the data - around 8gb is needed these days for a 2 hour bit of footage, so I would suggest not using SD chips under 32gb - if the thing doesn’t come with one already, or has some silly small capacity one.

Beware buying chips from mickey mouse dealers though - there are a lot about that are only 1 or 2gb that profess to be 32 or 64gb chips. You don’t know any better until your footage reaches the point where it starts over-writing the beginning of the same recording… Not much good if you say to someone who’s reversed into the front of you “I’ve got it on film bud” - and then it transpires that you don’t. :open_mouth: :unamused:

bald bloke:

Snarley:

Which one ?

The online retailer, presumably. I don’t think the river sells dashcams. :laughing:

Sorry :blush:

Nextbase 312gw £89.

buy one from somewhere you can easily return it to if it fails in the guarantee period.

Call me cynical but I guess many products are designed to a life span. average car 10,000 miles per year, 300 hours use under guarentee, components could be specc’d for min 1500 hour life meaning the vast majority well out live the guarantee .
Stick one in your truck, 2500 - 3000 hours a year - some are going to fail

A bit late but I have just fitted a 312GW to my friend’s car recently.

I have a 512G from Nextbase in my car. I did have an older 302 but had an issue with the battery swelling inside it so swapped it for the better model.

I have found my 512 to be excellent in pretty much all areas, there are still times where reading a number plate is impossible due to light reflections or the angle etc. Mine records 1080p at 30fps and day and night footage is mostly excellent.

The 312GW actually can record at 1080p at 30fps the same as mine, but it can also record at 720p at 6fps which you would think should be able to give more detail at twice the frames per second even at a lower resolution but it’s still crap so stick with 30fps.

The wifi function I find is just a gimmick mostly, take a long time to transfer files and you need a lot of empty storage on your phone to transfer large data amounts, OK if you have an android with an SD card, but if your a crap phone user and have a small capacity device then your stuffed and will revert to taking the SD card out and using it with a PC.

I find a lens filter to be a worthwhile investment as this cuts out a lot of screen glare. My 512 has one built in but think you can get one for the 312GW that pops on now.

512G day time footage (bear in mind quality is worse as its encoded by youtube)
youtube.com/watch?v=smQC7oQs_uI

Night time footage
youtube.com/watch?v=_By5oQQW2k4

Snarley:
Nextbase 312gw £89.

Thats a good choice! For the money its about the best out there.
However, top of the tree is the Lukas Qvia T790.
This is THE ONLY dash cam I have seen that can record number plates coming the other way at speed.
No other dash cam out there can do this, even Road Hawkes and Black Vue and the like cannot do it!
If any one can show me footage of an 80 MPH closing speed and the number plate is readable on any other cam, Il buy them one!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=SsQASn6 … freload=10
I dont own one, but it’ll be the next one I get if I buy another.

Snarley:
Nextbase 312gw £89.

Same as mine, it does have good reviews.

Gembo:

Snarley:
Nextbase 312gw £89.

Thats a good choice! For the money its about the best out there.
However, top of the tree is the Lukas Qvia T790.
This is THE ONLY dash cam I have seen that can record number plates coming the other way at speed.
No other dash cam out there can do this, even Road Hawkes and Black Vue and the like cannot do it!
If any one can show me footage of an 80 MPH closing speed and the number plate is readable on any other cam, Il buy them one!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=SsQASn6 … freload=10
I dont own one, but it’ll be the next one I get if I buy another.

I was curious about this so took the camera out of the wifes car and had a look, (she’s an amazingly good driver and I’m looking forward to my dinner later :smiley: ) .
I guess it all just depends on the amount of daylight.
From top to bottom
120mph closing speed, clear blue skies mid afternoon
80mph closing speed, heavy cloud very dull
80mph closing speed, just after sundown cloudy skies.

camera, 1080p 30fps, generic make direct from china £25 (still work fine after 3000 mile, 6 months)

Iv had the apeman mini this week, 140 angle 1080p, excellent for £40!