Dash cams

Hi guys im looking at getting a dash cam, is there any recomendations?

Also my bro has a Go Pro 2 he dont use, could I use that? as far as I can see its all the same.

Thanks

Carl

I,m using an old smartphone, 4 gig card and app called autoguard , it needs charger plugged in all the time but record and saves when you want it to ,also has gps on it . not bad for minimum outlay. :wink:

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … d&hl=en_GB

I’ve just bought the transcend drivepro 200 for £80 , you get a 16gb card with it , I’ll see if I can upload a video later if you want

Go pros are no good as dash cams as they don’t overwrite recordings, so you’ll fill the card up and it will stop recording.

Many to choose from at all price points, but I will always recommend speeding a bit Moreno something like a blackvue or vicovation. I’ve had about 20 different makes over the last few years as I review them for one of my websites, and the blackvue has been the most reliable by far. I’ve had one for about 3 years and it’s still going strong and two for have been running in my car and lorry for about a year and a bit and still work fine.

I’ve heard many people who buy the cheap Chinese ones rave about them, until 6 months down the line they freeze up and stop working and you don’t realise until you need a bit of footage and find it hasn’t recorded it.

Im going to be looking at buying a black vue. I think its a 500 or 5000 model. A couple of my mates have one. Quality is awesome and at night it is crystal clear. The overriding thing for me is that it bluetooths to your phone so you can watch the videos. We were parked up units only. Whilst we sat in the café eating they were watching their cameras on their trucks through their phones !!! You could see who was doing what around the truck. We were a good 200m away !

Its the blackvue Dr500, or the 550 which has a rear camera too. They have just released the 600 version, but from what I can see its identical.
Its not bluetooth, it uses WIFI to connect your phone.

BTW, is your username named after the most excellent band called Kerbdog, or just a coincidence?

Kerbdog:
Im going to be looking at buying a black vue. I think its a 500 or 5000 model. A couple of my mates have one. Quality is awesome and at night it is crystal clear. The overriding thing for me is that it bluetooths to your phone so you can watch the videos. We were parked up units only. Whilst we sat in the café eating they were watching their cameras on their trucks through their phones !!! You could see who was doing what around the truck. We were a good 200m away !

Make sure then that they sorted the overheating issue Blackvue were notorious for.
dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr500gw-hd/
Looks like they may have sorted the issue on the 500 but it has a low bit rate for the money.

gezt:
I,m using an old smartphone, 4 gig card and app called autoguard , it needs charger plugged in all the time but record and saves when you want it to ,also has gps on it . not bad for minimum outlay. :wink:

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … d&hl=en_GB

have you tried DAILY ROADS VOYAGER play.google.com/store/apps/deta … v&hl=en_GB

I put it on an old phone last night but forgot to take the screen mount today so couldn’t use it doh

109LWB:
Its the blackvue Dr500, or the 550 which has a rear camera too. They have just released the 600 version, but from what I can see its identical.
Its not bluetooth, it uses WIFI to connect your phone.

BTW, is your username named after the most excellent band called Kerbdog, or just a coincidence?

I use the blackvue … because its dual channel …(and excellent 1080p quality) so I have the second camera pointed out of the passenger window to catch the cheeky cyclists :smiling_imp:

Kerbdog:

Bond, James Bond.