Dash cam

Bought a dash cam for £35 in the summer and fancy a better one. Can anyone recommend one? What does everyone else use? I’ve got about £100 to spend.
Help!

I’ve got a Transcend something or other. £100 ish from Amazon, great night camera too and as I don’t have a PC I find the fact that I can download to my phone or pad very handy.

I’ve got the Transend DrivePro 200.

Looked at loads of reviews / recommendations, and ‘Techmoan’ swung it for me. He said not to bother with the higher end ones - (GPS, speed shown etc), as that could get YOU into…

Bought online from Halfords. £79ish, but I got the window sucker bundled in so I can swap it between vehicles instead of using the supplied permanent sticker pad.

160 degree viewing angle, which is a lot better than MANY others I’ve seen advertised, Wi-Fi to your phone laptop and a cracking picture.

I’ve got a Transcend 200, brilliant piece of kit.

I’ll have to look into this. Had too many close calls recently.

Radar19:

I have a prince or something like that .
Got it off Amozon, came with micro sd card play back on the laptop is top notch day or night.
Set up instructions are pants but there’s a few on you tube that give great set up advice.

Oh and it was about £40 all in.

nick2008:

Radar19:

I have a prince or something like that .
Got it off Amozon, came with micro sd card play back on the laptop is top notch day or night.
Set up instructions are pants but there’s a few on you tube that give great set up advice.

Oh and it was about £40 all in.

That’s what I’ve got and I think it’s poor, ePrance.

got one of the cheapo £20 ones from a petrol station five weeks ago works fine day or night 8gb memory card came with it . funnily enough had no numptys in front of me since i fitted it

Just bought a Transcend Drive Pro 200 for our other car, £78-odd from Argos. Reviewed the first day’s results, and big improvement on the Nextbase 100 or 200 in the other car. It’s the 2nd one, the original went faulty so got it exchanged, so this one will be going back too for either a refund, or to be replaced by a Transcend. So happy to recommend the Drive Pro 200.

mick.mh2racing:

what do you dislike about it, I have had an ePrance since last september and have found it excellent.

Bluey Circles:

mick.mh2racing:

what do you dislike about it, I have had an ePrance since last september and have found it excellent.

If you check reviews, there seems to be a real reliability issue with various cams. Either quickly go faulty, or barely last a year.

I’ve had 2 ePrance models, both lasted about a year, but in that time they worked well, particularly considering the price of them. As I said, I’m about to return my 2nd NextBase, but they get decent reviews.

Another vote for the drivepro 200. Never had a failed recording (was quite common on cheaper cameras)
Good wide angle lens, built in Wi-Fi is handy.
Most of my work is nights which is where nothing compares to it for low light recording quality.

Bluey Circles:

mick.mh2racing:

Mine was fine for three months but now when I play anything back on laptop the images are very jumpy. Not sure why and there aren’t any instructions to refer to either. Might be some setting that needs changing.

m1cks:
Another vote for the drivepro 200. Never had a failed recording (was quite common on cheaper cameras)
Most of my work is nights which is where nothing compares to it for low light recording quality.

Do you know if the Transcend 200 runs off 24 volt power or just 12volt?

Matt

I’m still running a £16 G1W

xfmatt:

m1cks:

Matt

Both Matt. Well mines plugged into 24. Never tried it on 12 tbh.

the maoster:

xfmatt:

m1cks:

Matt

Cheers mate. A well recommended piece of kit then?

Absolutely. The in built wifi alone makes it a winner in my book. The fact that you can immediately download it to your phone etc is very handy. Cracking playback quality too including low light and nighttime. It has no memory card and no internal battery though, so can only be viewed or downloaded when plugged in. Don’t let that put you off though as any saved footage stays on the device.

If there’s an “event” you push a button on the side (or set the “G” sensor to automatically record it and the footage stays on it.

xfmatt:

the maoster:

xfmatt:

m1cks:

Matt

Cheers mate. A well recommended piece of kit then?

Just to add/update

My first drivepro is 21 months old now and the other day the power supply broke.
I phoned transcend (who are in the UK) and it’s still covered under warranty. I have sent it back to them for replacement.
Something to maybe consider when weighing up the extra cost versus cheaper cameras. Another manufacturer could have turned their back after 12 months and I’d be out of pocket the entire cost of the camera.
Mine works on both a 12v supply and a 24v hella supply used with adapter.

mick.mh2racing:
Bought a dash cam for £35 in the summer and fancy a better one. Can anyone recommend one? What does everyone else use? I’ve got about £100 to spend.
Help!

Why not get your boss to fit one for you its his truck and in his best interests, why waste your own hard earned.