Dartford tunnel red light cameras for oversize access

Hi has anyone been pinged for getting caught over the line with the trailer-wheels, at the traffic lights that change to let out oversized vehicles that want to go through the tunnel? theres 2 sets about 120’ apart, first having a camera next to it. I was doing about 40mph in the rain, and as i went through the first one, the second went amber. No way I was going to stop before i got to the line, probably would have skidded god knows how far past it, and maybe had the trailer go sideways into the next lane/vehicle. the second light was amber as i went through, just not sure if the trailer would have cleared within the 3 seconds you apparently get from amber to red…

This is a toughy…

I Googled how many vehicles used the Dartford Crossing every day, it’s around 160,000. (yes, the figures vary)

Let’s half that for northbound/southbound. What you’re saying is, you might have got pinged cos it was raining, right? Yet, (for arguments sake at 1%) 800 vehicles a day end up having to jump the amber. We could make that smaller by halving lorries and cars, 400 lorries a day end up in the situation you describe.

30 years ago, I might have been concerned about my trailer going sideways. With the advent of ABS, I divert my time to cleaning those little bits of fluff off, that accumulate around my dashboard bezel cos the chances of a jackknife are almost zero.

Personally, I’ve never been pinged at the Dartford Crossing. When they stick cameras on the adjoining yellow box roundabouts (it’s just a matter of time), then I’ll end up paying hundreds just to enter or leave Sainsburys.

im not going to argue over my maths its crap it was always crap its why im a lorry driver

tubbstattsyrup:
I was doing about 40mph in the rain, and as i went through the first one, the second went amber.No way I was going to stop before i got to the line, probably would have skidded god knows how far past it, and maybe had the trailer go sideways into the next lane/vehicle. the second light was amber as i went through, just not sure if the trailer would have cleared within the 3 seconds you apparently get from amber to red…

The argument that’ll be used against you is that you knowing the conditions were bad then you should’ve been driving slower. It could be argued you were driving without due care.

tubbstattsyrup:
I was doing about 40mph in the rain,

There’s the problem right there.

Conor:

tubbstattsyrup:
I was doing about 40mph in the rain, and as i went through the first one, the second went amber.No way I was going to stop before i got to the line, probably would have skidded god knows how far past it, and maybe had the trailer go sideways into the next lane/vehicle. the second light was amber as i went through, just not sure if the trailer would have cleared within the 3 seconds you apparently get from amber to red…

The argument that’ll be used against you is that you knowing the conditions were bad then you should’ve been driving slower. It could be argued you were driving without due care.

As “Professional drivers” :laughing:
Arn’t we expected (whatever the weather) to anticipate a green light to change to red as we approached it??