Dartford tunnel alternative?

Yesterday the outside tunnels were closed becouse of a incident so height limit was 15’9 as I was running at 16’2 I came of at Erith which was chaos to be fair. It’s been a long time since I was a regular down those parts but remember a height limit on Woolwich so which would of been best route back up north ?

I took the route I knew would 100% be o.k as I’m paid by hour lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Round the M25 I’d guess. Only other option would be via the South Circular which means arsing g around a few low bridges.

Basically if you are over height and heading to the north it’s easiest to go clockwise round the M25 .
Something ADRs sometimes have to do with banned stuff .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

South Circular is no good, as the bridges are even lower than 15’9" on the west dartford tunnel.

The lowest I can think of is this one at Tulse Hill…

Low Bridge1.jpg

Cheers, I just went around the 25 and up M1 ( would usually use A1) . Just seemed a long way especially I left Erith run down to next junction and started to rejoin when the mayhem started so had to turn around again. Another unforseen night out

Next time danny, go Erith…Woolwich…over on the ferry,…North circular…M25…M1…or it may be quicker to wait for the tunnel to re-open.

truckyboy:
Next time danny, go Erith…Woolwich…over on the ferry,…North circular…M25…M1…or it may be quicker to wait for the tunnel to re-open.

The ferry? With a 16’2" trailer? :grimacing:

truckyboy:

Ferry no good either that’s 15ft odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOPS…forgot about his height…apologies, dont go over the ferry then… :smiley: :smiley:

Ferry is either 15ft6 or 5 and re the south circular I asked the question on here a while ago if anyone knew a way around the low bridges on the south circular in a 15ft10 and I got no other answers other than tell your boss not to send such a high trailer to that part of London!

So yeah I think when your so high your looking at all the way round the M25 being your only option :unamused:

We’ve had it twice now where the right hand tunnel has been closed on a night. The only way back is around the M25. (We now send smaller trailers down there :smiley: )

truckyboy:
OOPS…forgot about his height…apologies, dont go over the ferry then… :smiley: :smiley:

Be alright…just have a good run up :grimacing:

Cheers for all the replys I was 99% sure I was doing the right thing but when I diversion is that long self doubt creeps in lol

There were a lot high vehicles ignoring the red crosses and carrying on ( a lot of cars too) rather than moving over. I’m assuming as they passed the Erith junction they were under 15’9 but I wonder if some were heading for the lane of shame!

Had a Royal Mail run overnight to Daventry via Dartford out out Chelmsford with a double decker.

RM were informed the the right hand bore would be closed from 9pm so set off early, loaded at Dartford and on my way by 8.20.
Back at the tunnel on the roundabout above heading for junction 2 to join northbound so as to get across to the right hand side.
Looked down on the entrance to the tunnel to find it was already closed and cones being put in place. Long way round the M25 for me!

Why say 9pm closure when you mean 8.45?!

Rant over.

truckyboy:

From the ferry web site
Restrictions
There is a maximum height restriction for vehicles of 4.7 metres, or 15.5 feet, and a maximum width restriction of 3.5 metres, or 11.5 feet
Dangerous goods
The International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code contains a list of dangerous or harmful substances known as the Dangerous Goods List.
Any vehicle or trailer carrying any substance specified in the Dangerous Goods List will not be allowed on the Woolwich Ferry. This excludes any fuel:
that is contained in the tanks of the vehicle
and to be used for moving the vehicle or operating its equipment

puggy:
Had a Royal Mail run overnight to Daventry via Dartford out out Chelmsford with a double decker.

RM were informed the the right hand bore would be closed from 9pm so set off early, loaded at Dartford and on my way by 8.20.
Back at the tunnel on the roundabout above heading for junction 2 to join northbound so as to get across to the right hand side.
Looked down on the entrance to the tunnel to find it was already closed and cones being put in place. Long way round the M25 for me!

Rant over.

Feel your pain mate BUT…

If they say closed at 9pm they will start putting cones out at 8.30pm or even earlier at more complicated junctions :smiling_imp:

RIPPER:

puggy:

Rant over.

Feel your pain mate BUT…

If they say closed at 9pm they will start putting cones out at 8.30pm or even earlier at more complicated junctions :smiling_imp:

In which case… :unamused:

Rant over.

Feel your pain mate BUT…

In which case… :unamused:

Just answering the question… :stuck_out_tongue: