Dartford Crossing

Jeez,

we have a so called government looking after the environment but yet again j25 on the m25 to the bridge took me 2.5hours and all due to the tolls. I burn’t a couple of hundred worth of unnecesary fuel as did thousands others so they could reap their pence worth.

The bridge has been paid for a thousand times over so why still throttle the southeast of england with this tax that by delays costs british industry 10 times what is taken in tolls.

The bridge and the tunnel are a revenue source at the expense of the thousands of tax payers so stick your tax

KILL THE TOLL!!! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I know since they done away with the tolls on Forth Bridge [northbound], the traffic is still tailed back at peak times due to the squeezing 2 lanes from Barnton, 2 from the M9 spur and the on slip from the Boness road into 2 lanes to get you over the bridge.

Tay bridge [southbound] hasn’t been much better this week either due to contraflow into single lane.

I don’t think it would make much odds…

Scrapping the tolls on the bridge would allow traffic to flow much smoother as it’s 4 lanes wide. Fair enough there’s a case for controlling the tunnel traffic but if they doubled (if they must) the toll on the tunnel it would halve the traffic problems.

It would also save a lot of manpower on the booths, they are probably afraid people doing M3 to A12 or similar would go the longer way and avoid the tunnel charges. This would also ease the congestion on the tolls and I’m sure it would balance out.

So there’s a way of saving money, easing jams and reducing emissions but it stops all that fuel (duty) being used.

Probably never happen.

If they did lift the tolls, alter the road and make it all 3 lane, they could use the extra lanes as parking for trucks.

If they insist on keeping the tolls, then they should charge 8 quid for cars the same as the congestion charge.

If they pulled the tolls they would probably end up something like what’s due to go live next month on the Dublin West Link M50 - eflow

the m50 toll bridge is the original irish joke.

I believe the Dartford Crossing becomes Highways Agency control in the near future.Wether this means Le crossing have made their money and tolls will cease,but i doubt it though.

BTW: why there is tunnel one way and bridge on the way back?

orys:
BTW: why there is tunnel one way and bridge on the way back?

Cos they dug those tunnels years ago.
When traffic became to heavy for 2 lanes each way, they built the bridge.

You got it the wrong way round though.
Bridge going.
Tunnel on the way back

Some error occured and I posted twice :S

Yeah, but then why they didn’t dug another tunnel?

They should have built a long flyover with no exits that took us right over the top of that Dunghole that is London :stuck_out_tongue:

Imagine getting on it at Woodford Green and getting off at Swanley :smiley:

Orys,

they built a bridge after consulting the population of Essex who argued that they only ever get to take the top off their XR3i convertibles in Sunny Kent. Planners said it wasn’t worth it as they will only be on the Kent side of the bridge for 1 minute.

As it turns out the Essex Darren’s proved them wrong and get to bask in the kent sunshine for at least 45mins waiting for the tolls everyday and a bonus extra hour on a friday.

So respect is due too the white socked handbag dancing folk from the wrong side of the Thames for once!! :smiley: :wink: Pure genius on their part.

Just an Ad in construction news I found it amusing. :slight_smile:

10 qualified Tunneling Engineers required for hand mining and deep excavation contract in the South East. Experience of working underground a plus!! :open_mouth: :wink:

Those above ground tunnels never have caught on!!lol