Dartford Crossing height limits

I just saw a parcel farce lorry pulled into the compound by the wombles after attempting to use the 15’ 9" tunnel with a double decker.

I am not too sure how the signs can be missed now, there are plenty of them about and more than enough warning to get over to lane 3/4 before the split.

I personally think they have done a good job with the works now and they aren’t far off completed. I am just amazed at how you can not realise a height limit, especially when pulling a decker.

3 points and £100 fine…

trubster:
I just saw a parcel farce lorry pulled into the compound by the wombles after attempting to use the 15’ 9" tunnel with a double decker.

I am not too sure how the signs can be missed now, there are plenty of them about and more than enough warning to get over to lane 3/4 before the split.

I personally think they have done a good job with the works now and they aren’t far off completed. I am just amazed at how you can not realise a height limit, especially when pulling a decker.

3 points and £100 fine…

is that ‘all’ it is these days? as that is what I got 20 years ago for hitting the over-head chimes before the blackwall tunnel :smiley: (ok ok not dartford but still a tunnel :smiley: ) I would have thought in 20 years the sting would get bigger? I am not 100% sure on the fine, maybe that was £50 but I did get the 3 points :slight_smile:

PS as my son would say ‘I was young and stupid’ back then :wink: :grimacing:

If an agency driving for RM (I’ve yet to see a “Parcel Force” double decker) goes around the other side of the M25 - they’ll probably be “dropped” for useage again.

This, I believe, is what motivates the fresher drivers of double deckers at RM at least - to “try it on”.

It also isn’t helpful that RM have some double deckers that will fit through the left hand bore. It’s the white-fronted ones that are over 16’.
The “Swan Neckers” are 14’7".

Similar errors can be made going around the North Circular, what with it’s 15’6 bridges.

I’m surprised that no one in a RM hightop has clouted a Bridge on the North Circular that I know of over the years…

Old hat here, but here’s what happens when you try and take a white-fronted DD into Guildford…

I’d have put money on it being a parcel force liveried trailer. Driver jumped out wearing a long sleeved hi vis.

It could of course not have been overweight and just invited for a random chat with Mr DVSA, but I doubt it.

They’ve just started using double deck trailers on parcel force in the last month so it would have been a parcel force double deck.
Most likely come from the Dartford parcel force depot. The problem is that where you rejoin at junction 1a you aren’t able to go over to the other lanes with the higher limit. You are supposed to go clockwise to junction 1b and turn around and then keep right. Most drivers should have been made aware of this so why this driver didn’t know is strange.

Agency.

Think right Tunnel is 16’3"
Left Tunnel 15’9"
Bridge is 17’

Immigrant:
Think right Tunnel is 16’3"
Left Tunnel 15’9"
Bridge is 17’

Overall height

West: 4.80 metres

East: 5.03 metres

Bridge: No restriction