Dartford Crossing charging changes planned

just received an email from dartford Crossing advising of the posible changes to charges for using the crossing, also about future improvements to the crossing

dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-08/

Have I read that right in that for an LGV with more than 2 axles the charge will be going up to £5.00 in November and then to £6.00 in April? :open_mouth:

that appears to be the proposal, yes

Just remind me, this is the same bridge that, once paid for, was going to have the tolls removed?

I went over at 4am twice last week and it was free so I was well impressed, although I went back using the Blackwell tunnel to save the toll.

good to see this CON-DEM’ED goverment helping the truckers out, by almost doubling the price of a crossing…
i hope they are putting a few more ferrys on the woolwich crossing then :laughing: :laughing:

DadsRetired:
Just remind me, this is the same bridge that, once paid for, was going to have the tolls removed?

:laughing:

That is all…

I’ve suggested that they scrap the south-bound charges. This would free-up space to increase the number of booths on the tunnel side.
This would relieve congestion on both sides.

dazaster:
good to see this CON-DEM’ED goverment helping the truckers out, by almost doubling the price of a crossing…
i hope they are putting a few more ferrys on the woolwich crossing then :laughing: :laughing:

isnt the crossing owned by a private firm now?? french company springs to mind…

DadsRetired:

Yep, that’s the one.

They said the same about the Birkenhead tunnel too, so I fear that continuing (and rising) tolls are only to be expected. :frowning:

Here’s how it worked out for the Birkenhead tunnel

The government wanted the crossing to be free of any Tolls, but after several years of negotiations it was agreed that the government would pay half the construction cost, one quarter would come from the rates in Liverpool and Birkenhead and one quarter from Tolls for a period of up to 20 years.

The source of the quote above is quite interesting if you have the time to read it
:arrow_right: Source: Mersey Tunnels Users - Tunnels History

I guess there’s a similar tale regarding the Dartford Crossing.

jayeastanglia:

dazaster:

isnt the crossing owned by a private firm now?? french company springs to mind…

use to be now run by the highways agency :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: