Dartford Bridge Question

I’ve got me a hightop job next week, 16 footer. I know you can’t go northbound through the tunnel bores, but what about southbound over the bridge itself? I don’t see any headroom signs, but is there an actual rule that prohibits 16 footers in either direction, in case the bridge is shut for high winds etc?

You can go south/bound and north/bound as long as you use the right-hand side bore! :wink:
I just checked on Google maps and the left bore is 15ft 9in! The right bore is 16ft 6in high! :slight_smile:

…So it seems, but I’ve heard there are rules rather than headrooms that prevent it?

Same story on Blackheath shooters hill road. I used to get to places like Camberwell along there, and through New Cross. I’m now told THAT can’t be done either, and I have to come up the A23 the long way around! Once again, there are no signs to indicate headrooms - just a new set of local government warnings that I can’t make head or tail of.

I can’t say for daytime! Only been through at night or early morning! And the toll folks ask you to use the right bore if you have a high trailer!

Local bridge strikes at Catford or between Dulwich and A23 along the south circular might have had the local councils being twitchy ■■■■■■■! :unamused:

Sometimes they have the matrix signs up saying 15ft 9 is the limit Northbound, sometimes they don’t!

Scarab:
Sometimes they have the matrix signs up saying 15ft 9 is the limit Northbound, sometimes they don’t!

Yes! Maintence or setting up a contra-flow if they decide to close the bridge due to high winds! :unamused:

As has been said earlier, under normal circumstances you will have no problem north or south with a 16’.

Things sometimes go pear shaped; high winds, tunnel repairs etc but not often.

Just remember at the tunnels get right over to the right on the approach to the toll barriers and use the right hand bore.

How can there be any limit on how high you are going over that bridge ?
As for the tunnel, before the bridge was built, the southbound bore, which is now the right had bore coming north can easily accomodate a 16’3" trailer because when I drove for Swifts many years ago we regularly ran through that tunnel with that height trailer.

Pat Hasler:
How can there be any limit on how high you are going over that bridge ?
As for the tunnel, before the bridge was built, the southbound bore, which is now the right had bore coming north can easily accomodate a 16’3" trailer because when I drove for Swifts many years ago we regularly ran through that tunnel with that height trailer.

Toll booths are covered but are above 16ft 6"
it’s all covered here Pat! :wink:

01322221603 is the number for the crossing and they will tell you if the right hand tunnel is open which is big enough for you. There are no other restrictions.

Just remember to take the barriers out :laughing:
I have done it both ways :sunglasses:

And yes…I did enjoy it :smiling_imp:

Thanks one and all.

What happened to Swifts? I remember driving their red liveried stuff out of Aylesford some years ago, but have not seen them for a long time…

:laughing:

Winseer:
Thanks one and all.

What happened to Swifts? I remember driving their red liveried stuff out of Aylesford some years ago, but have not seen them for a long time…

Taken over by Salvesens some years ago.

I know that salvesons got taken over by dressingtables, so I guess that’s another prospective employer down the drain for the area… I hear nothing but low pay, poor conditions, and changing your job at the last minute all the time. Doesn’t really warrent beating a pathway to their door, despite the fact that as the crow flies, they’re the nearest haulier to me!

Salvesons I heard was a great place to work when it was independent, but I never got to find that out for myself before the end. Swift on the other hand had this nasty trick of not issuing you with a clocking card on day one when you first turned up at a new depot, and then trying to book you on about 4 hours into your day when they finally decided to give you one. I asked to submit a timesheet for day one instead, and refused to use the clock card, (lest I be docked 4 hours pay), although I’d be happy to sign on with one tomorrow…

‘Tomorrow’ never came of course not unlike “jam”! :angry:

“Refuse to be fiddled? - Your services are no longer required!” :imp: :imp: :imp:
:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

15’6 southbound! init?

no height restrictions s/bound on bridge. They wont put you through left tunnel if bridge closed will they? you would then have two way traffic. when I pull 16" 4" deckers down to tunnel I always stop at booth, as the person on duty will always tell you to use r/hand bore. So if you pull up to the barrier to get tag swiped, they block it, then shout to you to use r/hand tunnel. So I just slow down, give them a wave and point at r/hand bore letting them know my intentions.

Not quite sure how the left hand tunnel became lower, but as said previously, it will take a 16’ (and a bit) trailer, you just need to straddle a bit.

DoYouMeanMe?:
Not quite sure how the left hand tunnel became lower, but as said previously, it will take a 16’ (and a bit) trailer, you just need to straddle a bit.

The current height limit for the left hand tunnel is 15’9". There are double white lines in the tunnel so you can’t straddle them. You might fit through the pipe with something larger but you might find 3 points on your brief and a £60 fine for your trouble. Why bother when the pipe to the right is 16’6"?

Because I found out by coming on at the entrance just prior to the booths and the right hand tunnel was closed for maintenance so I was screwed as I saw no advanced warnings (Sunday nights returning from Brands Hatch seems to be the favourite time for maintenance. Lesson Learnt, go south and use the M40 now). I had many years earlier, gone both ways at 16 foot (before the bridge was there) but wondered if maybe the left hand bore had been reinforced and reduced a bit and as the roof is arched I figured I had somewhat reduced options. Sometimes, you get stuck in a position which you are not happy with, but need to find a solution and straddling the lines seemed a better option that removing a few of the fans.

Onece apon a time I took an artic (only a little 4 axle job) through Rotherhithe. Now that was an experience… This wasn’t me but it gives some idea: