Darkseeker's C+E training poll

ORIGINAL POST BY DARKSEEKER

Another opinion please; - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

darkseeker:
I’ve failed the C+E three times, the first (I felt) was close but not close enough - I came to a big roundabout and stopped, a car already on the rbt near enough stopped when he saw me and in effect I had time to get to where I was going - but turns out that’s not how it works on the test so I failed - fair enough I suppose. Even the examiner said it was a shame.

Second time I got three minors - and the major. Reverse was perfect, drive went really well all but this;
The examiner asked me to pull into one of those parking places that are a bit like a layby, it was tight and I miss-judged it slightly and knocked the kerb with the unit’s front wheel (didn’t go up it), that was it - FAILED

Third time my mind was a mess, I went into the test wondering how on earth I could ever pass and worrying about the small fortune it was costing me! I made a right mess of it and failed miserably.

My confidence and pocket took quite a beating, that was about april last year and even now I’ll be worried that “I can’t do it” though I know that’s tosh - if the second examiner had got laid since his twenties, I’d probably have the C+E now - miserable [zb] .

Now, I’ve been doing agency work since but I’ve noticed work slow down so much since september that I’m now on the dole. Thing is, I can’t help but notice there’s about 4 C+E jobs advertised to every 1 C job and, seeing as I’ve been thinking about trying again sometime this year, maybe now would be a good time. I know most of them would want experienced drivers but at least I could apply for them and maybe it would get me more work from the agencies.

To complicate things though, I’d have to get a loan or something to fund it (probably a full course as it’s been a while) and there’s no gaurantee I’d pass so it’s a bit of a gamble.

What do you guys think, should I wait or do you think it would be worth a shot?

I don’t know how to make this a poll unfortunately, Sorry about the essay.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Hi darkseeker, all things considered, I reckon option #2 is your best bet. :wink:

Hi darkseeker,
I’m inclinde to go with option 2 as if you got a loan you’d be putting even more preasure on yourself to pass.And also with the current work climate getting a c+e job is quite hard as i am finding having passed my c+e in oct 08.Everyone wants drivers with expieriance and there seems to be a lot of them out of work at the moment. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Think taking a loan while you have no job (assuming you can actually get one) to take your C+E which at the moment is most definately no sure way of finding a job could be financial suicide. Stay looking for Class 2 or 3.5ton work and retake the C+E when you’ve saved up enough money or can safely afford the repayments on a loan to cover it, I think taking a loan puts too much pressure on to pass though, saving up first would be better. Maybe try a different test centre too, some have better routes than others.

Option 2

Do not worry about the time between training sessions. It’s like not riding a bicycle for a long time - a bit wobbley when you get back on again but it soons comes back - I’ll wager that it takes less than 1 day for you to get back into it again :wink:

The only way I would consider retaking a short bit of training & test now is if I either had a job lined up - not likely in this current climate - or I could afford to pay out and do nothing with it for about 2 years by which time this recession should be ending and the 2 years ‘experience’ will be gained.

Always makes me laugh as to how holding a licence for 2 years is seen as 2 years ‘experience’ by many agencies - different with permanent employers though, they will usually want job references.

Thanks DD, and all who’ve given their opinion - which at the moment stands at 9 to 1 against :unamused:

Point taken about the loan, was thinking along the lines of a credit card with no interest for a year which would make the best of a bad job.

So, you wouldn’t say it would get me any work at all, even odd days with the agencies? I didn’t have too much trouble with getting class 2 work after all. I understand the problems with getting full time work with no experience obviously (and not getting much from agencies) the thought behind it was: If it’s not costing me any extra per month (lets say I managed to get my credit card extended enough to cover the cost - which would be interest free for x months) and luck went my way, I got the license. Now, even a day’s extra work per month would help, and (just for example) say at the moment I pay £30 a month on the card, I wouldn’t have to pay any different per month if I didn’t want to - so, until work picked up, financially nothing would change - except I’d owe more.

Well, that’s one way of looking at it - though maybe through rose tinted glasses :confused:

Research the local job market for CE, bearing in mind that agencies do not always live up to what you might expect :wink:

This current downturn is expected to be just about over by the end of 2011 so maybe that could be a factor if you decide to go down the credit route.

One more thought - if you keep switching balances between different credit cards would that hold off the interest as I’ve seen adverts for this type of thing recently :question: :question: :question:

cheers Rog, there’s roughly 4 C+E jobs to 1 C job advertised around here - even lately and there seems to be quite a few companies that run nothing but artic’s (smetimes there’s no mention of expeience needed, espcially the lower paid ones) - which is what got me thinking about it in the first place, but for now it’s just a thought.

I get on well with some of the people at agencies so may be worth asking them if the work would be there - though whether the answer’s 100% true or not may be questionable. But they found me class 2 work nearly straight away.

lol, my head hurts! Good point with swapping cards etc though, may buy me more time if I need it.

Options ?

If your are on the dole … talk to the dole office they may give you the money for a day + test on the hope you pass and will sign of the dole this would be a cheap option for them…

They have done this before…

If they ask if you can get a job if you pass … SAY well you are advertising jobs ( even if they are agency ) and if i pass i can start applying for them :wink:

Kiowan:
Maybe try a different test centre too, some have better routes than others.

And possibly better examiners :slight_smile:

Another point, is a credit card definitely the best way to finance this :question: :confused:

mrpj:

Kiowan:
Maybe try a different test centre too, some have better routes than others.

And possibly better examiners :slight_smile:

Another point, is a credit card definitely the best way to finance this :question: :confused:

I don’t know mate, it’s going to take a while to think through all the details. From what I’ve seen sofar, credit card would work out cheaper than a career development loan (CDL = 12.9%). I’m no expert though so any advise would be appreciated.

All the best whichever way you decide darkseeker, please remember though that the agencies employ the drivers with experience and there are a lot of them about as you know. :frowning:

I’ve been applying for C and C+E jobs for ages and get the same line every time, jobs for forklift drivers are asking for 1 years experience. :frowning:
Stu :smiley:

teatree:
All the best whichever way you decide darkseeker, please remember though that the agencies employ the drivers with experience and there are a lot of them about as you know. :frowning:

I’ve been applying for C and C+E jobs for ages and get the same line every time, jobs for forklift drivers are asking for 1 years experience. :frowning:
Stu :smiley:

:slight_smile: thankyou teatree, Yeah, I know all about the experience problem but I’ve had work through the agencies with no experience (and now a year or so’s experience) for the past year, at times its been busy even - so, well that’s part of the problem :unamused:

Saying that, I’ve worked out a way to fund it if I decide to (I’ve got a spare car) Anyone interested in a rover 25 2.0TD 04 reg’d? £1400 to you guys. fsh,ew,aircon and cd player.

Personally, I think I’d wait a little while, and save up for the C+E retest, with maybe a day or two of practise to refresh you before you go into it. Some of the experience can be gained just by having the license for 2 years, which seems odd to me, but if that’s all they’re asking, then i’m happy with that. But, if you don’t already have these, then it may be worth considering that additional training that would make you more useful/employable, such as moffett/adr/hiab. Also, it may be worth considering getting a job in a warehouse in a place that runs it’s own fleet of wagons, and when they’ve got space for another driver, you’re easily in for a shot, as some will train their own drivers, so to speak.

Hi Darkseeker,
I doubt if the current economic climate is great for gambling or taking chances, and should you pass your C+E soon there’s a high likelihood that securing even the much sought after first runs will be tough and that could be quite frustrating .Your bank or whichever financial institution you shall have borrowed from will still expect you to service the loan.
If I were in your position i’d wait until things start to pick up, whenever that will be :confused:

OoK, I can see all this is good advice but I’m still struggling a bit and in fact still leaning towards going for it. Here’s why;

I’ve come up with a way to fund it - I’ve got a car to sell (which I would be selling anyway).

I intended to try again this year anyway

And, I got class2 work (from agencies) with no experience so there’s a good chance I’ll get work, not much I guess but on top of the work I get now would be very welcome.

The only problem, really, is if I fail again, it’ll have been a waste of money. But it’s one of those things - if I don’t do it I’d be better off for a bit, If I do and pass I’ll be better off in the long run, if I do and fail - I’ll be in the same position as now really.

SO, it’s not as bad as I first thought. I’m still unsure though :confused:

Do what your heart tells you Darkseeker "whatever will be will be " but you can be ■■■■ sure everyone on here will be rooting for you whatever you decide.

Break a leg

JEEZO:
Do what your heart tells you Darkseeker "whatever will be will be " but you can be ■■■■ sure everyone on here will be rooting for you whatever you decide.

Break a leg

:smiley: Cheers JEEZO, I’m sure you’re right but as has been stressed - it’s not an ideal time to be spending a lot (not for me anyway), on the other hand - speculate to accumulate (so they say) :confused: lol.