Dangerous goods PPE?

Looking to replace my Hazardous goods PPE, mostly flammable liquids being moved, does anyone have any links to any decent sites or recommendations?

Also looking for Haz plates for my 3.5t van not fussed over which type as long as not made from steel, have used self adhesive ones previously but the Germans like the plates to be vertical on the vehicle if not they will fine you, :open_mouth:

So the adhesive ones are no longer practical.

Cheers :smiley:

Iain

YOU MIGHT NEEDā€¦

Iā€™M SURE HE WILL BE ALONG SOON :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

www.rha.net used to sell spill kits and ppe etc or you can try your local Arco. Iā€™m sure you could make up your own or just buy new eyewash etc from Boots!

As for the Haz Plates, a mate of mine made a plastic sheet & sticker which clipped onto the grill of his Sprinter for just the same reason.Think it was only attatched by dogclip type thingys but it worked and kept the Green Meanies happy!

try labeline www.labeline.com

Sprinter:
Looking to replace my Hazardous goods PPE, mostly flammable liquids being moved, does anyone have any links to any decent sites or recommendations?

Hi Sprinter, My tip is that you need to know whether ADR applies to the goods you are to carry.

If the load isnā€™t subject to full ADR Regs, then youā€™ll only need 1 X 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher. There might also be one or two additional odds and sods, dependant on the the UN number of the goods.

Sprinter:
Also looking for Haz plates for my 3.5t van not fussed over which type as long as not made from steel, have used self adhesive ones previously but the Germans like the plates to be vertical on the vehicle if not they will fine you, :open_mouth:

So the adhesive ones are no longer practical.

Cheers :smiley:

Iain

The orange plates are specified in ADR, but youā€™ll only need those and PPE, ADR licence, other equipment and documentation IF your load exceeds the exemption limit(s) for for the substance(s) to be transported.

Nobody can give you good advice without knowing:

1. The UN number(s)
  2. The Proper Shipping Name(s)
  3. The UN Class number(s)
  4. The Packing Group(s) (IF one is allocated.)
  5. The size / type of package(s)
  6. The total quantity of each substance(s) to be carried

Then thereā€™s the question of how youā€™ll cross the Channel, because the tunnel has its own set of Regs, and ferries use another (different) set of Regs called IMDG.

You will also need the correct documentation for both the road legs and whatever mode of carriage you choose to cross the Channel.

Itā€™s your cash mate, but all Iā€™m saying is that you might not need to spend as much as you think, because full ADR might not apply to your journey. :wink:

Please read my answers to smiler and youngwithclass1 :arrow_right: HERE IN THE ADR ā€œStickyā€ in the H&S Forum :smiley:

:wink: Please watch for a PM. :grimacing:

Hi Dave,

Normally carrying UN1203, pg II, Motor Spirit 1,200 ltrs max in 6 drums, normally go out via Transeuropa Ramsgate - Ostende, due to the passenger restrictions 44 i believe?

Have been using a borrowed kit but that has had to be returned today unexpectedly.

So i now need to re kit for the above as a minimum,

2 x 2Kg dry powder extinguishers
Haz plates
spill kit
plastic shovel
broom
nitrile gloves
safety goggles - specs
wheel choc
overalls
hard hat
torch
eye flush
2 x triangles

anything else you can think of?

Will answer your pm with a pm :wink:

Cheers

Iain

Sprinter:
Hi Dave,

Normally carrying UN1203, pg II, Motor Spirit 1,200 ltrs max in 6 drums, normally go out via Transeuropa Ramsgate - Ostende, due to the passenger restrictions 44 i believe?

Have been using a borrowed kit but that has had to be returned today unexpectedly.

So i now need to re kit for the above as a minimum,

2 x 2Kg dry powder extinguishers
Haz plates
spill kit
plastic shovel
broom
nitrile gloves
safety goggles - specs
wheel choc
overalls
hard hat
torch
eye flush
2 x triangles

Will answer your pm with a pm :wink:

Cheers

Iain

Hi Sprinter, Yes mate, thatā€™s a good list, but Iā€™m afraid youā€™ll need a few other things too.

For carriage by road.
In this case, your load IS subject to full ADR requirements as the ā€˜freebieā€™ limit is only 333 litres in the case of UN 1203.

Correctly written, your load is:
UN 1203 MOTOR SPIRIT, 3, PGII
(Written as above is the only acceptable way of writing it on a "Transport Document.) The letters ā€œPGā€ are optional.

An ADR licence valid for at least UN Class 3 in packages.
A CMR (Which will also serve ADRā€™s requirement for a ā€œTransport Document,ā€ so thereā€™s no need for an extra document.)
Instructions In Writing (AKA ā€œTremcard.ā€) + Any and all equipment it mentions MUST be on board the vehicle.
Multi-Modal Dangerous Goods Note (DGN.)
The load must be secured on the vehicle in such a way as the drums canā€™t slide about.

Orange coloured plates.
You will need 2 X ā€˜orange colouredā€™ reflective plates to be laced on your vehicle, one at the front and one at the rear.
Not many people know this but, in your case, the front plate doesnā€™t have to be full size (40[width] X 30[hight] cm,) but may be 300mm [width] X 120mm [hight.] :grimacing:
(ADR 2007 5.3.2.2.1 :wink: )

If you go by ferry, the following applies whilst you are on a boat under IMDG Regs:
You will need three (250 X 250mm) placards, which must be placed: one on each side of the vehicle and one on the rear.

You may remove these when travelling by road. (Not required by ADR.)
When you are on the ferry, you may leave your orange plates on your vehicle (Not recognised or required by IMDG.)
Under IMDG, you must obey any instructions given by the ferry operator as to which kind of ferry theyā€™ll allow you to board, and you must follow any instructions given to you by the shipā€™s crew regarding where your vehicle is allowed to be parked on the ferry.
IMDG has basic rules on this, but there might be a perfectly legal local agreement or some derogations in force, so Iā€™d advise a 'phone call to the ferry operator could save you being inconvenienced at the port.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Thanks Dave you got any contacts for getting this kit at a reasonable price or best to buy items individually?

As regards ferries none of the usual suspects at Dover will even entertain this and the tunnel has a limit of 250 ltrs per vehicle for UN1203.

Already got my ADR licence and as such Shell at Stanlow wonā€™t entertain you without the right licence or kit, they also supply the relevant Trem cards, MSDS and CMRā€™s in all the languages we need.

Interesting point about the smaller plate which i shall look into, does it state in the ADR regs that the plates must be at a 90 degree angle to the road?

Cause the Germans fined another driver Ć¢ā€šĀ¬100 because his front haz plate was stuck to the bonnet, or were they just being akward gits :laughing:

Cheers :sunglasses:

Iain

Sprinter:
Thanks Dave you got any contacts for getting this kit at a reasonable price or best to buy items individually?

Hi Sprinter, Iā€™d go to ARCO or a similar supplier for the PPE items you need.
If you only ever carry UN 1203, then yes, buy the items individually cos itā€™ll be cheaper that way, but make sure the PPE has the CE mark. :wink:
ā€¦and that the extinguishers have the following features:

1. Extinguishers must be of an approved type ie. the Kite Mark or the CE mark.

2. Extinguishers must be periodically inspected and bear a label / sticker showing the next due date of inspection

3. Extinguishers must be fitted with a seal AND pin
    Something like this:

4. Extinguishers must be protected from the effects of the weather.

5. Extinguishers must be easily accessible.

Sprinter:
As regards ferries none of the usual suspects at Dover will even entertain this and the tunnel has a limit of 250 ltrs per vehicle for UN1203.

That sounds about right to me mate.
Both the Tunnel and IMDG are more stringent than ADR when it comes to the more dangerous types of dangerous goods.

Sprinter:
Already got my ADR licence and as such Shell at Stanlow wonā€™t entertain you without the right licence or kit, they also supply the relevant Trem cards, MSDS and CMRā€™s in all the languages we need.

Quite right too mate, cos theyā€™d be commiting an offence if they did it any other way TBH.
:open_mouth: Shell Stanlow is only about 2 miles from my house.

Sprinter:
Interesting point about the smaller plate which i shall look into, does it state in the ADR regs that the plates must be at a 90 degree angle to the road?

Hereā€™s what ADR says about the size and spec for orange coloured plates:

ADR 2007 5.3.2.2.1
The orange-coloured plates shall be reflectorized and shall be of 40 cm base and of 30 cm high; they shall have a black border of 15 mm wide. The material used shall be weather resistant and ensure durable marking. The plate shall not become detached from its mount in the event of 15 minutesā€™ engulfment in fire. The orange-coloured plates may be separated in their middle with a black horizontal line of 15 mm thickness. If the size and construction of the vehicle are such that the available surface area is insufficient to affix these orange coloured plates, their dimensions may be reduced to 300 mm for the base, 120 mm for the height and 10 mm for the black border.

For a ā€˜Sprinterā€™ type vehicle, youā€™d get away with the smaller plate on the front, since a full-sized plate would be difficult to mount. Iā€™d guess that using a ā€˜normalā€™ sized orange coloured plate on the rear of a van wouldnā€™t be too problematic thoughā€¦ :smiley:

Sprinter:
Cause the Germans fined another driver Ć¢ā€šĀ¬100 because his front haz plate was stuck to the bonnet, or were they just being akward gits :laughing:

No mate, they were just being typically Teutonic and efficient. :open_mouth:
Hereā€™s what ADR says about positioning the orange coloured plates:

ADR 2007 5.3.2.1.1
Transport units carrying dangerous goods shall display two rectangular orange-coloured plates , set in a vertical plane. They shall be affixed one at the front and the other at the rear of the transport unit, both perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the transport unit. They shall be clearly visible.

A bit legalistic, but it means that the plates must be at right angles to the front and rear of the vehicle and not sloping. :grimacing:
The German equivalent of VOSA (the B.A.G.) are known to be quite picky about ADR stuff, so itā€™s good to get all your ducks in a row. :wink:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Sprinter:

I know its obvious, but ā€¦hi vis vest!!! :unamused:

Arewethereyet?:

Sprinter:

I know its obvious, but ā€¦hi vis vest!!! :unamused:

Hi mate, not only obvious, but also a legal requirement under ADR.
Itā€™s in the list of what I call ā€œstandard kitā€ eg chock, torch, warning signs and hi-viz.
After that, you need the equipment mentioned in the Instructions In Writing.

:smiley: So thanks for that.