Dangerous goods advice

Hello all,

Just after a bit of advice, can’t find the answer online but it’s a simple enough question.
Every so often I’ll have a pallet on my load with an ADR sticker. Today for example I had a pallet with 4 barrels wrapped to it, and they had the corrosive label on. I don’t have any ADR qualifications, just my class 1. Am I carrying these illegally?

Did you get any paperwork?

Twiglet015:
Hello all,

Just after a bit of advice, can’t find the answer online but it’s a simple enough question.
Every so often I’ll have a pallet on my load with an ADR sticker. Today for example I had a pallet with 4 barrels wrapped to it, and they had the corrosive label on. I don’t have any ADR qualifications, just my class 1. Am I carrying these illegally?

All depend from transport category,packade group.If it is package goods(not bulk) that for load with transport categoty 3 not required Adr if load threshold 1000 or less.For category 2 -333.for cat 1-20 .For category 0-0.For category 4-unlimited

Twiglet015:
Hello all,

Hi Twiglet015,

From the info you’ve given, it’s only possible for me to say “maybe” in answer to your question.

OVLOV JAY has mentioned paperwork, so please look for the following:

UN xxxx + The name of the corrosive substance, you’ve correctly identified the UN Class as Class 8 (corrosives), but we now need the Packing Group (PG) too please.

Did the label you saw look like this please?

The PG is always written as Roman numerals, so it’s either PGI or PGII or PGIII.

Once I know the four digit UN number + the proper name and the PG number, I can give you a good answer.

(It might have had the word “CORROSIVE” on the label, but that wouldn’t make any difference.)

8.gif

ADR has certain ‘allowances’ when the dangerous goods have the type of labels shown just above, so no need for panic just yet because it’s possible that those four drums were NOT subject to full ADR Regs.

=========================================================

If there were no black and white labels (as above) but label looked like this, then you can carry any amount of the ‘stuff’ without ADR

acid_red small.gif

Andrejs:

Twiglet015:
Hello all,

All depend from transport category,packade group.If it is package goods(not bulk) that for load with transport categoty 3 not required Adr if load threshold 1000 or less.For category 2 -333.for cat 1-20 .For category 0-0.For category 4-unlimited

Andrejs,

Whilst what you’ve said is correct, the OP wouldn’t know the ADR transport Category (TC) for what he was carrying because the TC is not required to be written on the paperwork for Class 8, whereas the PG must be written on the paperwork.

dieseldave:

Andrejs:

Twiglet015:
Hello all,

Andrejs,

Whilst what you’ve said is correct, the OP wouldn’t know the ADR transport Category (TC) for what he was carrying because the TC is not required to be written on the paperwork for Class 8, whereas the PG must be written on the paperwork.

Just for class 8■■?

dieseldave:

Twiglet015:
Hello all,

Hi Twiglet015,

From the info you’ve given, it’s only possible for me to say “maybe” in answer to your question.

OVLOV JAY has mentioned paperwork, so please look for the following:

UN xxxx + The name of the corrosive substance, you’ve correctly identified the UN Class as Class 8 (corrosives), but we now need the Packing Group (PG) too please.

The PG is always written as Roman numerals, so it’s either PGI or PGII or PGIII.

Once I know the four digit UN number + the proper name and the PG number, I can give you a good answer.

(It might have had the word “CORROSIVE” on the label, but that wouldn’t make any difference.)

ADR has certain ‘allowances’ when the dangerous goods have the type of labels shown just above, so no need for panic just yet because it’s possible that those four drums were NOT subject to full ADR Regs.

=========================================================

If there were no black and white labels (as above) but label looked like this, then you can carry any amount of the ‘stuff’ without ADR

That’s a great reply, thanks. The bottom bit totally answered my question as it was in a red diamond. Never realised there was a difference. I’ve had a few full loads with every pallet having a limited quantity label, is that an issue for someone not holding ADR or does that also depend on what the goods are?

Twiglet015:
That’s a great reply, thanks. The bottom bit totally answered my question as it was in a red diamond. Never realised there was a difference. I’ve had a few full loads with every pallet having a limited quantity label, is that an issue for someone not holding ADR or does that also depend on what the goods are?

Hi Twiglet015,

The red/white label is nothing to do with ADR, so if that’s all that you see on a drum/pallet/IBC, then you’re good to go on the basis that the goods are ‘only’ hazardous, because anybody can carry hazardous goods.

The other label (black/white with a figure “8”) means that the goods are ‘proper’ dangerous goods. (This can sometimes be in conjunction with the red/white label.)
If you see the kind of label that has a figure in the lower half, then you need to ask questions because there are load limits as to what a non-ADR trained driver can carry. If you’re carrying the type of label that has a figure in the lower half AND within the ADR load exemption limit, then you’ll need 1 X2kg ADR compliant dry powder fire extinguisher and some documented ADR ‘awareness’ training although NOT a formal certificate to be carried with you.

It is the responsibility of the sender and your boss to get this correct, so if your boss tells you it’s OK, then it’s OK because your boss is answerable for that. Don’t let anybody tell you differently. :wink:

As for Limited Quantities (LQs), they have this label:

LQ.gif

When carrying LQs, you need documented ADR awareness training as above but NO fire extinguisher.
You do NOT need an ADR licence for the carriage of LQs, regardless of quantity/weight.

As a non-ADR trained driver, you would need large versions of the LQ labels (placards) to be displayed on the front and rear of your vehicle if your vehicle is legally allowed to be >12t GVW …AND… you are carrying >8t of LQs, otherwise than that, you don’t need any vehicle markings.

dieseldave:

Twiglet015:

Hi Twiglet015,

The red/white label is nothing to do with ADR, so if that’s all that you see on a drum/pallet/IBC, then you’re good to go on the basis that the goods are ‘only’ hazardous, because anybody can carry hazardous goods.

The other label (black/white with a figure “8”) means that the goods are ‘proper’ dangerous goods. (This can sometimes be in conjunction with the red/white label.)
If you see the kind of label that has a figure in the lower half, then you need to ask questions because there are load limits as to what a non-ADR trained driver can carry. If you’re carrying the type of label that has a figure in the lower half AND within the ADR load exemption limit, then you’ll need 1 X2kg ADR compliant dry powder fire extinguisher and some documented ADR ‘awareness’ training although NOT a formal certificate to be carried with you.

It is the responsibility of the sender and your boss to get this correct, so if your boss tells you it’s OK, then it’s OK because your boss is answerable for that. Don’t let anybody tell you differently. :wink:

As for Limited Quantities (LQs), they have this label:

When carrying LQs, you need documented ADR awareness training as above but NO fire extinguisher.
You do NOT need an ADR licence for the carriage of LQs, regardless of quantity/weight.

As a non-ADR trained driver, you would need large versions of the LQ labels (placards) to be displayed on the front and rear of your vehicle if your vehicle is legally allowed to be >12t GVW …AND… you are carrying >8t of LQs, otherwise than that, you don’t need any vehicle markings.

Great stuff thanks very much for all this.

Class 2 Aerosols/gases,total about 8tonne go under full Adr rulles(extingushers,sign and…) or it is counted for limited quantity or no under rules??

Has anybody had any awareness training concerning dangerous goods and what does it entail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrejs:
Class 2 Aerosols/gases,total about 8tonne go under full Adr rulles(extingushers,sign and…) or it is counted for limited quantity or no under rules??

Hi Andrejs,

Depending on what’s in the aerosols, it’s probably an LQ load.

Most aerosols are LQ if they’re no bigger than 1L size, but they have to be packed in boxes (max 30kg) or stretch-wrapped trays (max 20kg) to take advantage of the LQ exemption.

You didn’t say what’s in the aerosols, so I can’t really be more specific.

Boris1971:
Has anybody had any awareness training concerning dangerous goods and what does it entail?

Hi Boris1971,

ADR awareness training can be that you attend day #1 of an ADR course and then you’ll be ‘aware.’

You could get 7hrs DCPC for that, which then kills two birds with one stone, and there are no exams to take.

You could also do a cut-down version, which is specific to the UN Class or the substance you intend to carry. The requirement is that it is ‘documented.’

dieseldave:

Andrejs:

Hi Andrejs,

Most aerosols are LQ if they’re no bigger than 1L size, but they have to be packed in boxes (max 30kg) or stretch-wrapped trays (max 20kg) to take advantage of the LQ exemption.

Collect load .Pallets don t have any Adr load.After found in paperwork who it is class 2 but no packing group or transport category.Inside body spray aerosol .in each boxes 28 items×150 ml…In each pallets about 60 boxes.I think who is don t need nothing.

Andrejs:

dieseldave:

Andrejs:

Hi Andrejs,

Collect load .Pallets don t have any Adr load.After found in paperwork who it is class 2 but no packing group or transport category.Inside body spray aerosol .in each boxes 28 items×150 ml…In each pallets about 60 boxes.I think who is don t need nothing.

Hi Andrejs,

From your description, it’s an LQ load.