Dang it!

Had my test today but I botched it up twice on two turns. First was here.

As I was coming down that road, I was too far over. I should of be rolling on that white line but I was a tad over it with cars streaming down my off side. When my light went green I panicked I moved forward trying to keep my back wheels away from the barriers but this of course sent my cab over the curb on the offside. Boom, boom it went as it rolled over that curb.

The other one was over in Shirebrook. My examiner took me down some really tight back roads which let to this nasty little bridge.

As I was coming towards this bridge I couldn’t see what was coming so I slowed right down but as I got to it there was a car doing some knots which left me up that creek without a paddle as I was going to have to use his side of the road to get round. As this point I’m all fingers and thumbs trying to find a place to put my cab but I wasn’t quick enough as the back wheels of the trailer went over the pavement.

Aside from these two stupid mistakes I had a perfect drive and was heading for a clean sheet but oh hum. I’ll be back!

Tough luck fella, just one of those things, sounds like apart from that you would have sailed.

Any test centre has one or two relatively difficult junctions/bits of road. You get the record for getting the two worst ones in Mansfield on the same test!

Really bad luck but, as you say, heading for a clean sheet apart from that. So all is not lost, just temporarily misplaced maybe.

Hope it goes much better next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That first turn is also where the guy before me failed on.

It is tricky. But as you said, you need to run the truck along the r/h line.

It’s no comfort to you, but I’ve done exactly the same as you at that junction and caught the o/s/f as a result of concentrating on the trailer and the railings.

IMO that’s the worst junction on the Mansfield test routes - but it can be done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Unlucky pal. I’m sure you will nail it next time.

not sure about the first corner, but i deffo went over that bridge on my class 1 test, that whole area is tight.

least next time you will be more relaxed for your test, and you deffo wont make those same mistakes.

good luck to ya next time mate

I went over that bridge in Shirebrook only a couple of weeks ago. I came from the other direction peeked over and it looked clear but as i came over a car came from the other direction and had stop nearly as im dragging the trailer over the white line. No issue in real life but in a test they would have been all over that.

I came off at J29 M1 and went through there to get to Meden Vale, but when i did the drop your ‘banned’ by the locals using that route as its part of the site rules so i had to jolly off on another route sign posted Nottingham and rejoined at J27 i think and it was quicker then going the other way.

It can be one of the signs of a new driver when they do massive swings as they have a complex about the trailer. I do similar still as i always make use of the space i can see in front of me and not worry so much about the rear then as you get the feel.

I went over that bridge in Shirebrook only a couple of weeks ago. I came from the other direction peeked over and it looked clear but as i came over a car came from the other direction and had stop nearly as im dragging the trailer over the white line. No issue in real life but in a test they would have been all over that.

Coming from that direction it’s impossible to keep a 45’ trailer inside the lines. It would be fine on test provided the speed was right down.

The secret is in approaching in the correct position at a speed where you can stop on the tarmac you can see to be clear. This is a lot slower than some realise. Then, if you have anyone hurtling towards you, simply stop. It’s up to them to sort themselves out and then you can carry on.

It’s important not to change the position of the vehicle if you’ve got it set up correctly. To do so will mean clouting a kerb or worse. It’s all about being steady enough to be able to stop.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Fair enough. I passed my lorry tests first time but reading on here the amount of horror stories to do with people failing on roundabouts etc because they made another road user slow down its seams easier enough to fail over minor things. That’s why I presumed going over the white line would be a fail.