Daily working hours and breakdowns

Hi guys

Been doing few weekend runs for one of the “big” firms and their truck broke down, driving time was only about 6 hrs and all breaks etc were fine but the break down was putting me about 1.5 hrs over my daily max working time (15hrs)?

They told me it would be acceptable if stopped that I have a printout explaining that I had a break down. In my opinion that’s not correct, I had plenty of places to pull in for my minimum 9 hr rest period, but all they wanted was their load delivered.

Who’s correct here me or them and what would happen if I am pulled in this week in my own truck?

Cheers.

find another job simple you know their wrong so why do it

If your time is up while your broke down you can legally deviate from the regulations to drive to the nearest suitable parking place.

Page 23 - GV262

Provided that road safety is not jeopardised, and to enable a driver to reach a
suitable stopping place, a departure from the EU rules may be permitted to the extent necessary to ensure the safety of persons,
the vehicle or its load. Drivers must note all the reasons for doing so on the back of their tachograph
record sheets (if using an analogue tachograph) or on a printout or temporary sheet (if using a digital
tachograph) at the latest on reaching the suitable stopping place (see relevant sections covering manual
entries). Repeated and regular occurrences, however, might indicate to enforcement officers that
employers were not in fact scheduling work to enable compliance with the applicable rules.

If you did what they said knowing it was wrong then why did you do it :question:

Cheers, at the time I wasn’t sure, haven’t done much over night stuff.
Not be letting anyone talk me into that again.

My company loosely interpret the rules on this.

a departure from the EU rules may be permitted to the extent necessary to ensure the safety of persons,
the vehicle or its load.

Basically they say because our loads are often very high value then the nearest safe stopping place is where the load needs to go.

I really hope it bites them on the arse one day.