Daily Vehicle Walk-Round

I am curious to know how many of us do a “proper” vehicle walk round inspection and how long it takes you, whether or not you use a paper defect note or an electronic system including the pro’s & con’s of each, and how many of us have a quick glance at the vehicle, tick the boxes and toddle off down the road oblivious to lamps that dont work / bits about to fall off.

Honest answers please!!

Anything that is safety related and the load I fastidiously check.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15 minutes, marked as other work, paper system, truck running with all lights on, or light test button thing(renault). Normally walk around at least twice, and check the same things twice, also do the same after stopping for a break, always check 5th wheel about 5 times aswel.

Im a bit ■■■■/paranoid when it comes to checks/securing loads/locking the front door etc.

Forever cleaning my own unit means i’d always spot anything amiss so its not something id check before coupling up and moving off however…our trailers are a different matter, theyre dragged all over europe by all and sundry and get well and truly battered. Checking over tyres for splits/wear/general damage, brake chambers and pipework for leaks and lights are all a must. Its not often ill couple up to a fully working/legal trailer. My ‘repair’ kit consists of cable ties/tape/bulbs and hammer…

AndrewG:
Forever cleaning my own unit means i’d always spot anything amiss so its not something id check before coupling up and moving off however…our trailers are a different matter, theyre dragged all over europe by all and sundry and get well and truly battered. Checking over tyres for splits/wear/general damage, brake chambers and pipework for leaks and lights are all a must. Its not often ill couple up to a fully working/legal trailer. My ‘repair’ kit consists of cable ties/tape/bulbs and hammer…

Same here, we have same unit, and same trailer, nearly all the time, problems arise when we use another driver’s trailer, as some don’t defect as they should.

Bulbs and lights I will try and repair myself, tyres any problems report, and find the tyre fitter, that’s normally hiding around the yard, anything else defect it, let workshop sort it

We have a paper defect book with each motor to be completed by each driver.

At the start of my shift I check the oil, all lights on unit and trailer, replacing blown bulbs. I check all tyes for tread depth, and give each one a little kick (or the inners a thump) in case they’re half inflated, at the same time I give about 50% of the wheelnuts a quick hand-tight check (I’ve found loose wheelnuts before) and a quick wobble of the mudguards, washers, wipers, horn, make sure the tacho calibration and operator’s licence are in date. As I’m uber ■■■■ about fifth wheels I check the clip about 3 times, and duck under to check the jaws with a torch from each side as I walk round (I once had one only half across). Trailer MOT too. If loaded, then I check/adjust it’s security. If needed, then I often spit and wipe all mirrors. All in all, 15-20 mins.

I don’t care about the height indicator.

When I was a day man using a different unit daily I’d spend up to half an hour checking everything.

Tramping I do full checks on a Monday morning but when down the road I mainly just check lights, tyres, and 5th wheel about 5 times.

If my tacho calibration was in date on a Monday it hasn’t expired by Wednesday.

Usually have same trailer on all or most of week.
Full check on Tues am (my first day) then rest of week a quick look/walkaround in a morning with a torch looking at wheel nuts, lights/indicators, fifth wheel lock etc, and for tears in curtains, all for around 5 mins or so…although I book 15. :blush:
Never been one for walking around with a clipboard wearing my hi viz hard hat, and safety glasses, I’ll leave that to the newbies, the theory-world guys and the perfectionists. :smiley:

I am Agency. As others I do the detailed walk round check. I also religiously check engine oil, coolant level and especially screen wash (my pet hate that other drivers clearly don’t). You’d be surprised how many operators are ‘dry’ with no engine oil, coolant or screen wash available for topping up.

I have a special running sheet in which I note that the trailer and unit suspension are set to normal and the lifting axle set accordingly (raised or lowered as circumstances dictate). I also check the travelling height of the trailer - with a tape measure for ground to 5th wheel height- noting it on the sheet, a measurement also needed for the truck sat nav.

I also have my own defect report book which I used if an operator has no obvious defect reporting system (quite a few don’t)!

The one thing I do find odd is the O licence check. With many unpainted motors you never know if the unit is ‘hired in’ or not and the proverbial 28 day rule regarding display.

Get in in the morning, press starter, it it goes it’s OK. You’ll know if you’ve got a dodgy tyre cos it’ll go off with a bang. Just like brakes, if they’re not working you’ll hit something. If the load’s not secure, you’ll get much better mpg when it falls off and if the headlights work when it’s dark, that’s all that matters.

much the same here…up,light her up,sidelights on,out the door ,check whatever tyre im wooshing against,check the back doors to see the trailers not been tanned,a glance at the pin handle on the way past,back into the cab,and batter on.job done. :slight_smile:

peterm:
Get in in the morning, press starter, it it goes it’s OK. You’ll know if you’ve got a dodgy tyre cos it’ll go off with a bang. Just like brakes, if they’re not working you’ll hit something. If the load’s not secure, you’ll get much better mpg when it falls off and if the headlights work when it’s dark, that’s all that matters.

stereo ■■
night heater ■■

Being a night driver, I’m forever replacing bulbs. Apparently, day men don’t need to as they never use them!

dieseldog999:
much the same here…up,light her up,sidelights on,out the door ,check whatever tyre im wooshing against,check the back doors to see the trailers not been tanned,a glance at the pin handle on the way past,back into the cab,and batter on.job done. :slight_smile:

100% This.

For anyone in a regular vehicle i.e. trampers this is the proper way to do it. Vehicle checks are an ongoing process and not just reserved for morning box ticking exercises to satisfy the snowflake generation.

Through the week I’ll check each tyre in rotation as I ■■■■ up it, sometimes I’ll even check other drivers tyres if I’ve completed a lap early.

I’m always suspicious of drivers who choose to use public toilets when they have perfectly good wheels right near them. Not only the weird need to get their tallywackers in front of other men but also points to the fact they haven’t completed a proper walkround check.

On darker mornings I will use my fleshlight for a thorough inspection.

I just give it a quick glance,and toddle off down the road.
Usually do the paperwork the night before.

I think having the same vehicle daily changes how it’s done. Like I know unless I’m on holiday nobody will be using my truck. I’m in it all week and there’s no weekend work so I tend to do a full check on a Monday (oils etc) then ‘keep an eye’ for the rest of the week. We’ve got a system where you tick a box on manifest to say no defects prior to starting or a space to put a number from a defect book - I never fill this in before leaving the yard in case something goes pop further up the road.

No doubt I’ll now be told that I’m endangering the lives of kittens and the endangered great british tree wiffle (made up name) dor being so reckless.

10 minutes…

Every day shown on the card.

We have a checklist of the usual things and sign it accordingly.

There’s a few 67 plates on the fleet, I still check them in the same fashion I would a 65 plate. If something isn’t right our lot will endeavour to fix it before we leave (that includes things like top marker lights).

Despite having the time to check and a TM that doesn’t want problems with the DVSA, I saw photos of one the regular drivers motor with a tyre as bald as Yul Bryners head. Just no need for it.

regardless of the jokers.i do a proper walk round check, lights, curtains etc, all the usual safety checks…if it aint working…it aint going out…simple…but thats how i`ve always been…safety is my portal.

If I am using the same vehicle do a good check 1st day then a quick walk round checking the pin/lines/legs not been would down curtains ( if have them ) but due to being a MAN most of it is done in cab ie oil

When I change trailers I do a check

Every time I leave the cab weather to fuel up or comfort break check the pin etc as this was drilled into me when passed my test if on box’s check the twist lock

So for me it is on going all day

animal:
If I am using the same vehicle do a good check 1st day then a quick walk round checking the pin/lines/legs not been would down curtains ( if have them ) but due to being a MAN most of it is done in cab ie oil

When I change trailers I do a check

Every time I leave the cab weather to fuel up or comfort break check the pin etc as this was drilled into me when passed my test if on box’s check the twist lock

So for me it is on going all day

Had my pin pulled in services whilst I popped in for a pee. Now, whenever the truck is out of my sight, I always check pin and back doors. Hate to think someone had messed with my back doors when I wasn’t looking.