DAILY REST

Hi lads can anybody tell me do I have to record daily rest on my card after a shift
And what’s the legal symbol to use on tacho card.

Before you eject card put it on break and before you put the card back in put the tachograph on break, you do not need to take a printout

Dafman:
Before you eject card put it on break and before you put the card back in put the tachograph on break, you do not need to take a printout

Hi mate does that record my daily rest without the card left in
The tacho. Thanks

You don’t even have to do that. Just eject your card when you have finished your shift and then insert your card when you start a new shift after you’ve had 9 hours or 11 hours off.
Nothing is recorded on your card obviously because its been ejected but the times of insertion and ejection verify your daily rest.

It will show your time where the card hasn’t been inserted with a ? (Or double ■■) symbol. This is also the symbol to use for daily rest when making a manual entry on the new 1.4 style tacho.

Dafman:

As F.B stated no need to do this i don’t understand why people do it. :confused:

I find it best to do a manual entry after a weekly rest period, I do leave my card in all week so done automatically, I also do a manual entry for when I have had a few days holiday, could have been caught out with that one as someone used my truck when I was off for a week and picked up a parking ticket, general assumption was I had had picked it up, print out showed I was on 24 hour rest for that particular day!
I never used to bother with manual entries, but tacho defaults to doing a manual entry when the card is inserted on these new tachographs.

Dafman:

That wouldn’t even show on your card unless you sit there for a complete minute at the end of your shift to allow it to register on the unit.

You don’t have to record daily rest on your card, But what I do depends if I were staying in the truck or going home at the end of my shift.
If I’m staying in the truck I’d leave the card in put it on break and go into the menu/entry/driver1/end country/ and put in my end country. In the morning same thing but enter the begin country.

If I was leaving the truck then I’d remove the card.

According to VOSA publication GV262 Drivers hours and tachographs,
page 36 drivers should

record the country in which they begin and end their daily work period. This must always be carried out at the time of the start or end of the period, even if the card is not to be withdrawn or inserted (for example if the card is left in overnight);

A bit about recording rest periods on page 39

Rest and other days off
The period of time unaccounted for between successive charts produced by a driver should normally be regarded as (unless there is evidence to the contrary) a rest period when drivers are able to dispose freely of their time. In the UK, drivers are not expected to account for this period, unless enforcement authorities have reason to believe that they were working. Nevertheless, on international journeys it is recommended that letters of attestation from the employer are provided for drivers travelling through other countries to cover any sick leave, annual leave and time spent driving a vehicle which is out
of scope of EU/AETR rules during the preceding 28 days. An EU approved attestation form can be downloaded from:

bald bloke:

Dafman:

As F.B stated no need to do this i don’t understand why people do it. :confused:

Because when we did a course on it they said do it, it just covers your arse and I have been pulled up for not doing it when fta come in to analyse our cards.

The FTA are not VOSA and its only VOSA’s opinion that counts.

Vosa don’t bother or all the bollox we have to go through at
at work, I just carry on doing it my way, it’s pretty funny now as the sheets now tell you how much you could have been fined. One driver has it up to £1800 because he has only just gone digital and didn’t have a clue :smiley:

Dafman:

bald bloke:

Dafman:

Because when we did a course on it they said do it, it just covers your arse and I have been pulled up for not doing it when fta come in to analyse our cards.

Well I’ve never done it and have never been pulled. How can you put it on rest then eject your card you’re then working as such.

Was that a DCPC course by the way ?

I put it on ‘bed’ for at least a minute or so before ejecting my card as there have been some cases of the tacho recording incorrectly, so (for example) half an hour down the road on day 2 and the tacho gives a driving time warning due to it still reading from the day before. I never used to bother but it does seem to happen with some brand new trucks which is what I now usually drive so I do it out of habit.

I’m on a new tacho, and I pull the card if I’m resting away from the truck and do a manual entry next time I start showing the time as rest, and leave it in on rest if I’m overnighting in it, putting in end country and begin country as appropriate. It might not all be necessary, but I like to have a continuous record on the card, helps with my OCD :wink:

Not heard about using the ? Symbol for daily/weekly rest on the new units - I thought that was for time which couldn’t be accounted for, eg as somebody said, driving an analogue vehicle.

Gary