Daily rest

I always thought that your daily rest should be 10 hours, but can be reduced to 9 hours twice a week. My company work on the theory you only need 9 hours any day. Who’s right? Secondly, my mate thinks you can only do 2x 10hour driving days in a fortnight, but I thought it was 2 per week.

martin2410:
I always thought that your daily rest should be 10 hours, but can be reduced to 9 hours twice a week. My company work on the theory you only need 9 hours any day. Who’s right? Secondly, my mate thinks you can only do 2x 10hour driving days in a fortnight, but I thought it was 2 per week.

For the EU regulations a regular daily rest period is 11 consecutive hours rest, this can be reduced to nine hours three times between weekly rest periods.

A regular daily rest period can be taken in two parts, commonly called a split daily rest period, the first part of a split daily rest period must be at-least three consecutive hours rest and can be taken any-time during the shift, the last part of a split daily rest period must be at-least nine consecutive hours rest.
For a split daily rest period the total rest taken is no less than 12 hours.

For single manned journeys a daily rest period must be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, any rest taken outside of the 24 hour period will not be counted as part of the daily rest period.

For multi-manned journeys a daily rest period of at-least nine hours must be completed within 30 hours from the start of the shift.

The maximum driving that can legally be done between daily rest periods is nine hours, this can be extended to 10 hours twice a week.

• The maximum driving in a week is 56 hours and 90 hours in two consecutive weeks.

Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs