Daily rest reduced confusion

I know this has more than likely been done to death, but why are the driving rules so confusing. I thought I had reduced breaks sorted but now I think im wrong.
Example of my week up to now.

Monday 6.00am start, finish 18.30.
Tuesday 3.30am start, finish 18.30
Wednesday 6.00am start, finish?

Now I know I have reduced to 9hrs for early start on Tuesday, now I thought because I am starting 6am Wednesday I will have 11.30hrs rest, but after reading others questions and answers because I started at 3.30am, 24hr period starts and finishes their so by 3.30am Wednesday morning I will only of had 9hrs rest.

So have I reduced my breaks 1 or 2 times already?

Sorry if its confusing as I have already confused myself :slight_smile:

Twice so far

So the rest has to be completed in a 24hr window from the start time?

Someone will be along with the correct way of wording it, but so far you’ve reduced twice

Thanks Mutley

Scouse67:

Yes it’s that simple honestly. Just remember that and you can’t go wrong. Unless you have a 3 hr break during the day which can then be added to the 9hr reduced break therefore counting as full break.

Thanks for the replies, making sense now.

A driver can reduce his daily rest upto three time IN A WORKING WEEK below 11 hours but never less than 9 hours.

The working week is the period of time between two weekly rest periods which must not exceed 144 hours.

Remember it is possible to reduce your daily rest in 2 ways.

1. Spread over in other words daily rest in the maximum span of 24 hours.
  2. The amount of daily rest between the end of 1 shift and the start of the next.

For example start 0600 end 2100 max daily rest in 24 hours = 9 hours.
Then start 0600 end at 1800 leaving a potential 12 hours available rest within the 24 hour period. But the driver starts again not at 0600 but at 0300 thus taking 9 hours between shifts hence this would be the second reduction.

Scouse67:

Yes that’s correct for a single manned journey.

Any part of a rest period that falls outside of the 24 hour period from the start of the shift does not count towards the daily rest period.

Although you had 11½ hours rest between the Tuesday/Wednesday shifts only the rest period up-to 03:00 Wednesday counts towards the daily rest period for Tuesdays shift, that’s nine hours.

When looking at something like this …

Monday 6.00am start, finish 18.30.
Tuesday 3.30am start, finish 18.30
Wednesday 6.00am start

… I have two thoughts which must both be a YES for it to be a regular daily rest

1 - Is there 11 hours off in the 24 hours from the start of the shift?
2 - Is there 11 hours off from the end of one shift and the start of the next?

If either is a NO then its a reduced daily rest - unless other info states that a split daily rest is possible

Looking at number 1 the other way is to say that if the start to finish time is over 13 hours then it must be a reduced daily rest - if its over 15 hours then the driver is likely to be in the ■■■

A max of 3 reduced daily rests can be done between any 2 weekly rests
A weekly rest is any period of 24 hours off that has not been reduced to less than 24 by using some as payback