daily rest period

can a employer force a employee to reduce his or hers daily rest to 9 hours from 11 hours against his will.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK katkins :wink:

katkins:
can a employer force a employee to reduce his or hers daily rest to 9 hours from 11 hours against his will.

This question seems to be cropping up a lot lately, there’s nothing illegal about your employer planning a reduced daily rest period for you, in certain circumstances you could object on the grounds of safety if you feel that you won’t be able to get enough sleep to drive safely but if you was to try that too often it could be taken as a sign that you’re not fit for the job you’re employed to do.

My personal opinion is that by far the best solution is to have a chat with your employer and try to come to some compromise, at the end of the day you need to rest but your employer needs to run an efficient and sustainable business.

Good luck :wink:

tachograph:
Welcome to Trucknet-UK katkins :wink:

katkins:

This question seems to be cropping up a lot lately, there’s nothing illegal about your employer planning a reduced daily rest period for you, in certain circumstances you could object on the grounds of safety if you feel that you won’t be able to get enough sleep to drive safely but if you was to try that too often it could be taken as a sign that you’re not fit for the job you’re employed to do.

My personal opinion is that by far the best solution is to have a chat with your employer and try to come to some compromise, at the end of the day you need to rest but your employer needs to run an efficient and sustainable business.

Good luck :wink:

I agree with you Tacho, its a regular question, but normally followed by, “it takes me three hours to get home.” That one does me as to why someone would live so far from work, especially with the cost of private fuel.

Even my own company who parked 7 miles from my home used to ask us to “have a 9” and I have parked in the yard for secure parking, used the showers and gone for a pint or a fish &chip, before sleeping in the cab.

My theory is two for them, one for me.

katkins:

Yes. Unless the contract of employment states otherwise.

Paul

Reduced daily rest when at base …

This is one of the issues that should be addressed at interview because everyones need for amounts of sleep is different

Some need 8 hours in order to drive safely whereras others can safely manage on much less

If the employer wants drivers to do this then they should only employ drivers needing little sleep