Daily rest at base?

A quick question for you.

I finished at 8 tonight and my planner wants me out at 6 in the morning.
Am i correct in thinking that I have no choice but take an 11 hour daily rest break when I’m at base?
I know i can reduce to 9 hours when I’m staying out but I’m sure this is not the case when at base.

So am I starting at 6 or 7?

Paul Gloria Meadows:

Am i correct in thinking that I have no choice but take an 11 hour daily rest break when I’m at base?
I know i can reduce to 9 hours when I’m staying out but I’m sure this is not the case when at base.

No you can have 9 hours at base no worries.

Paul Gloria Meadows:

NO

hope this helps :wink:

Thats ok then. Guess its a 6am start for me then.

Cheers guys for the fast response.

why should anyone want a nine at home
have 11 just say health and safety

hitch:

You may want an early finish to get to the pub, take someone’s wife out or go on holiday. If the rules said you must take 11 hours at home you would miss the flight, a jump or a couple of pints.

A good example of something working both ways :stuck_out_tongue:

The question in my mind is how much travelling time do you have to get to the yard? I personally am against reduced rests at base as it can often lead to a tired driver. 9’s are for trampers.

I’m on my second 9 at base after working a 14 and a 15 I’m gonna be very tired tomorrow but as I keep being told its part of the job etc so I’ll get on with it in the hope I’m done early Friday to take step son to cinema to see tron.
I don’t agree with 9’s at home either would rather use them when on night out.

I have a fairly new job now that’s only 10 min’s from home but the job I left was 45 min’s away from home! When I took a 9hr rest it was straight away away only 7 and a half hours after my travel time, take into account somthing to eat, a shower and a shag and it’ll be 3-4 sleep before setting off again (have to have the shag as it keeps the milkman away :open_mouth: ). I agree that you shouldn’t be forced to take a reduced rest when at base! Don’t mind so much when on a night out

I like to have an 11 hour rest at base otherwisw with the travelling I would not get much sleep. If I do have to take a 9 at the yard then the boss will pay you a night out and will even pay for the kebab!

OllieNotts:
I’m on my second 9 at base after working a 14 and a 15 I’m gonna be very tired tomorrow but as I keep being told its part of the job etc

It’s not part of the job at all…

A 9hr is legally aloud but not required, so if you’re tired, have 10 or 11 off and go in refreshed, that was you’ll make it home to take the kid to see Tron instead of him visiting you in a hospital.

btw, work over 13hrs a day and you’ve reduced your rest to 9hrs, will you do more than a 13hr day and return to base??

So many myths in this game, it’s no wonder we’re forced to pay for the dCPC

I can’t bloody win on here I have always been expected to so have :smiley:
It depends on what they plan me to next day, its always been something from base so if I can make it back I’ll make it back and if not I’ll run in in the morning so I’d be back same time whatever. I finished a 15 yesterday at 11pm and they planned me to be in at 6 even though they knew I wouldn’t be in till at least 8 which I was and now everything is to ■■■■ but they’re not bothered. Always told to reduce at base because they don’t think when planning.

waynedl:

OllieNotts:
I’m on my second 9 at base after working a 14 and a 15 I’m gonna be very tired tomorrow but as I keep being told its part of the job etc

A 9hr is legally aloud but not required, so if you’re tired, have 10 or 11 off and go in refreshed, that was you’ll make it home to take the kid to see Tron instead of him visiting you in a hospital.

btw, work over 13hrs a day and you’ve reduced your rest to 9hrs, will you do more than a 13hr day and return to base??

It must be just me who who sees the reduced rest as a flexible drivers tool then.

hitch:

i hate it and resist hard. a 9 hour is meant for nights out. im not taking a reduced break when an hour and a half of that is commuting time plus all the other distractions that you encounter at home but not in the truck. i just point out that it would be highly irresponsible to do it and on safety grounds i wont do it unless i am working for a local firm

I can’t help but think I’ve hit a raw nerve posting this. :laughing: I totally agree that you should take as much as you can at home but I’m new to the company and don’t want to rock the boat just yet. After a 14.5hr today I’ll get 9.5 rest and then back in for 6am. Thats the second time this week I’ve had less then 10 at home. Luckly I only live 10mins from the yard though.

We do this regularly and it always been part of the job

If you have a hour and half traveling to your job that’s your problem alone they can plan you having a 9 at home and there’s nothing you can do about it. You only see your part of the puzzle of planning you won’t know what else they’ve had to take into account when planning your work

Paul Gloria Meadows:
I can’t help but think I’ve hit a raw nerve posting this. :laughing: I totally agree that you should take as much as you can at home but I’m new to the company and don’t want to rock the boat just yet. After a 14.5hr today I’ll get 9.5 rest and then back in for 6am. Thats the second time this week I’ve had less then 10 at home. Luckly I only live 10mins from the yard though.

Don’t worry about raw nerves, there are a few with shattered nerves who USED to post on here. I find that out of three reduced rests in a week, give the boss two and save one for yourself or your wife & kids :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
It must be just me who who sees the reduced rest as a flexible drivers tool then.

Yes, for trampers! :stuck_out_tongue:

waynedl:

A 9hr is legally aloud but not required, …

:laughing: :laughing:

Being at base or not, is of no concern to your employer. Having a humane and considerate boss is to be considered a bonus I would say.

Getting down to brass tacks, I would say that it is the culture that has developed within driving a lorry. There are plenty out there who do not want to go home, full stop! For whatever reason. Thus, it soon spreads, and the planner sees no difference between being back at the yard or being stuck out in a tin can in a layby.

9 off or 11 off, I find i’m in a perpetual state of tiredness during the week regardless of how much sleep I get. From the look of most of the guys I see out there in the waiting rooms, i’m not the only one.

I go home when possible, i’ll drive to the maximum hours every time if it means I can get back to the yard and go home (indeed the boss often seems surprised to see me in the evenings), regardless of whether it’s a 9 or 11 off, I do not want to become one of those guys who sleeps in his truck in the yard because it is less hassle. It’s a slippery slope.

If you live more than 30 minutes from the yard, then it’s time to look for something closer or a different job in my opinion. You cannot possibly work like that when 15 hour days are the norm within the industry. Unless of course your job involves spending the full week away (or several) every week.

At least you can only have 3 reduced daily rests between weekly rest periods. :bulb: