Daily mirror today

Harry Monk:
I tend to think that articles like this in the tabloid press are designed to encourage people to respond to the adverts towards the rear of the newspaper where adverts appear explaining to desperate people clutching modest redundancy payments that they can earn £40,000 a year driving a truck if they take lessons from the HGV driving school advertising there.

This was happening before the WTD came in, claims that thousands of extra drivers would be required otherwise that transport industry would grind to a halt. This was on the same page as the adverts for driver training companies.

Could the owners of said Red Tops publish the names and addresses of some of the firms that are supposedly short of drivers.I have no doubt that people on the Newbees forum would be grateful.

I am going back agency driving in January mainly so I can pick and choose when I work, and also I might as well work two x12 at £10 per hour as nearly a whole week for similar money for what some cowboys round here pay, but to get to the driver shortage the agency I am going to work for has a very good rep and I have worked for them on and of for a long time, when I rang them to re-register the manager told me he could not get drivers for love or money, and that a lot of his old drivers were leaving the business one reason given is the tide of red tape slowly strangling the job, as to the girl in the Mirror it does help if daddy owns a truck, but one transport manager for a well known company told me he advertised 4 jobs 3 applied and NOT ONE turned up to start.

Blunder Man:
I am going back agency driving in January mainly so I can pick and choose when I work, and also I might as well work two x12 at £10 per hour as nearly a whole week for similar money for what some cowboys round here pay, but to get to the driver shortage the agency I am going to work for has a very good rep and I have worked for them on and of for a long time, when I rang them to re-register the manager told me he could not get drivers for love or money, and that a lot of his old drivers were leaving the business one reason given is the tide of red tape slowly strangling the job, as to the girl in the Mirror it does help if daddy owns a truck, but one transport manager for a well known company told me he advertised 4 jobs 3 applied and NOT ONE turned up to start.

I recently finished with an agency because I’ve got a full time job starting next week, and it ain’t haulage, I got the impression from them they they were short of drivers.
I also know of several drivers who have left the industry this year, mostly through retirement or early retirement. I only know one person who is going for his HGV licence and he’s not getting that to do haulage work.
Even the girl in the article didn’t get her licence to work in the haulage business, but because she was on motorsport hospitality work and no doubt when the season starts again she won’t be driving Dad’s trucks.

muckles:
I keep hearing we are going to have another driver shortage, the figures I’ve heard are 200 drivers leave the industry each week and only 20 join it. How they work that out I don’t know.

But having gone back onto UK general haulage in the last few months I’d say it’s only a job I’d now do as a last resort.

Yes,but only as i can’t afford to do them for that Payment.
Cleaner in a Gym gets paid £6.50 plus Free Membership,plus 40% of Meals,plus Sick,-and Pension Plan,plus travel :exclamation:
How much do you get :question:

FTFA: “There were 25,710 vacancies for heavy goods drivers alone in the run-up to Christmas nearly double that of the same period the year before.”

Yeah, there was a reason for that - they were trying to catch up from the deliveries they had to abandon due to weather.
An extra 10,000 2 month vancancies doesn’t make a big dint in the number of unemployed lorry drivers.

Conor:
FTFA: “There were 25,710 vacancies for heavy goods drivers alone in the run-up to Christmas nearly double that of the same period the year before.”

Yeah, there was a reason for that - they were trying to catch up from the deliveries they had to abandon due to weather.
An extra 10,000 2 month vancancies doesn’t make a big dint in the number of unemployed lorry drivers.

In any event, the vast majority of these Job Centre vacancies are simply agency adverts anyway. they aren’t “jobs”.

Its all a load of propaganda put out by the spin doctors to con everyone into thinking everything is improving. Total ■■■■■■■■.

JISL to ESL:
If I’m not stating the Bl**din’ obvious these jobs are advertised in Job Centres by agencies. 80 vacancies at Warrington job centre last week, nearly all were agencies but still counted as vacancies.

The statistics are just a big con trick.

Wish someone would find out the actual number of EMPLOYERS/HAULAGE COMPANIES with actual permanent vacancies.

23 Dec, a local haulage company laid-off all of his drivers. Half of them were ‘taken back on’ the next day as self-employed and those that didn’t want to go down that route transferred over to the agency that I use (and are the preferred supplier in there anyway). The drivers are still doing the same amount of hours as before but the boss reckons he has made a noticeable saving by making these changes.

Another chap I know (is the UK rep for a European fridge company) has just completed the deal/negotiations for a new cold store/chilled consolidation operation. The vehicles have all been ordered (25 units, 35 fridges) and will be double-shifted; he needs 50 drivers per day but will get every single one of them via agency as he states that it will be far more cost effective. He’s hoping to get a regular core of drivers who will be in there as often as if they’re ‘employed’. The agency he has approached have said they can do it and have taken the contract on, on a ‘no-fail’ basis.

In either of the cases above, are these ‘real vacancies’ or not, just because they are jobs through agencies??

Harry Monk:
I tend to think that articles like this in the tabloid press are designed to encourage people to respond to the adverts towards the rear of the newspaper where adverts appear explaining to desperate people clutching modest redundancy payments that they can earn £40,000 a year driving a truck if they take lessons from the HGV driving school advertising there.

I’m inclined to make you right there mate! :unamused:

marcustandy:
In either of the cases above, are these ‘real vacancies’ or not, just because they are jobs through agencies??

Thoughts, anyone?? :question:

I’d like to know where all these jobs are, just been on jobseekers direct and out of 5 pages of hgv jobs in a 60 mile radius of edinburgh 5 are permanent of which 2 are actually agencies advertising as permanent. the rest are temporary on going agenciy jobs, which I don’t class as jobs. Yes I know people make a good living out of agency but to me a job is full time permanent with a contract.

When the red tops publish articles like that it is usually because they are expecting advertising revenue from companies like manpower or one of the big training companies.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
I’d like to know where all these jobs are, just been on jobseekers direct and out of 5 pages of hgv jobs in a 60 mile radius of edinburgh 5 are permanent of which 2 are actually agencies advertising as permanent. the rest are temporary on going agenciy jobs, which I don’t class as jobs. Yes I know people make a good living out of agency but to me a job is full time permanent with a contract.

When the red tops publish articles like that it is usually because they are expecting advertising revenue from companies like manpower or one of the big training companies.

Same I been looking on there and theres hardly any within a 30mile radius of Ipswich, mostly agency what is on there, and most of them are nearly 2months old. I havent got a problem with agency work as such it depends on the person you are, agency work is good to pay your debt if you have any and to live a comfortable life style while theres work. What happens to the average Joe who has a morgage or even someone who wants to get one or save a decent deposit, this type of person needs a contract with non stop work.

Dave the Renegade:
Its all a load of propaganda put out by the spin doctors to con everyone into thinking everything is improving. Total ■■■■■■■■.

Aint that the truth!