Daily driving question

Scenario…
Start work after weekend break at 6am ,Monday morning. Long job, finish work at 6.30pm after running to maximum of ten hours driving. Want to crack on early and get back so reduce rest to 9 hours and that gives us a start time of 3.30am Tuesday morning.
Am i correct in saying that although you could ‘start work’ at this time, you would not be able to drive until 6am Tuesday morning, other wise you would of drove for more than 10 hours in 24 hours?

i thought as soon as you had your daily rest it basically resets the clock (so to speak).

you have had your 9 hours rest so can start driving again, if that was the case what is the point in reduced rests, and you would be starting driving at exactly the same time all week.

Once you’ve had your daily rest, even though reduced, a new working day can start. If you can’t do what you propose, I’ve been doing it wrong for some years. :laughing:

Mike C:
Am i correct in saying that although you could ‘start work’ at this time, you would not be able to drive until 6am Tuesday morning

No, you can start driving at 3.30 am after you’ve done your checks. Well someone going to say it otherwise.

DAFMAD:
If you can’t do what you propose, I’ve been doing it wrong for some years. :laughing:

Me too !
Just found my own answer !!

‘daily driving time’ means the total accumulated driving
time between the end of one daily rest period and the
beginning of the following daily rest period or between a
daily rest period and a weekly rest period;

Back to the drawing board to find out how you get an infringement for driving 14 hours in one day then !!

Mike-C:
Back to the drawing board to find out how you get an infringement for driving 14 hours in one day then !!

Do more that 10 hours driving between 03:30 and 03:30 the following day and unless your company has an opt out agreement for the 10 hour night time rule then you get your infringement :wink:

When calculating the 10 hour maximum driving for night workers it should be calculated over the 24 hour period from the start of shift regardless of what rest periods you’ve had.

Mike-C:

One possibility you didn’t quite take 9 hours rest. If you took 8 hours 59 minutes rest then the total driving for the 2 shifts would be added together and would give the infringement. If your total driving for the 2 shifts is more than 14 then it isn’t the situation in this case.

Apart from the two possibilities mentioned already;

no opt out from 10 hour night time working limit

or

not quite 11 hours (or 9 where possible)

there is a third possibility;

The software programmers who wrote the analysis programme know ‘Buttons’ about drivers hours rules. :open_mouth: Unfortunately, have come across this too often. The programme ‘looks’ at when you finished your daily rest, adds 24 hours and totals the driving between the two points. Unfortunately for the software writers that’s not what the regulations say. :smiley:

Once you have completed a daily rest period, which complies with the legislation, a new daily driving period commences.

I’ve argued this till i’m blue in the face with our lot, they say that if you start at 6am Mon and do a 10 hr drive you cannot do ANY driving until 6am Tue.

My opinion is that if you have 9 off you can do what u want!!!

Who knows!?

Gaz:
I’ve argued this till i’m blue in the face with our lot, they say that if you start at 6am Mon and do a 10 hr drive you cannot do ANY driving until 6am Tue.

Who knows!?

They don’t and you do, you are 100% correct…

When you complete a daily rest period you begin a new 24 hour period and have available 9 or 10 hours of driving. The regulations clearly state a new 24 hour period commences upon completion of a rest period and if they don’t understand that then they are either in the wrong job or need some retraining.

Coffeeholic:

Gaz:

Who knows!?

They don’t and you do, you are 100% correct…

10% doesn’t seem very generous :wink:

90% wrong, story of my life!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: