Daily checks and checking fluids

Thinking of expanding my work opportunities in the near future by doing some work for other agencies for the likes of the co-op etc. and got to thinking regarding the daily checks routine they might expect you to do. I get the walk round checks etc. but just wondered seeing as they generally use more modern wagons, do they expect you to lift the hood and physically check the likes of water, oil, brake fluid, washer levels etc?
Or can I rely on the dash monitor?
I’ve steered clear of this sort of work up till now as urban cage day work isn’t really my cup of tea but may be something I need to do to if I want to notch up the experience on my card.

andy_s:
I get the walk round checks etc. but just wondered seeing as they generally use more modern wagons, do they expect you to lift the hood and physically check the likes of water, oil, brake fluid, washer levels etc?

Do you want the job or not? :open_mouth:
In an assessment why would you not do an ■■■■ comprehensive vehicle check? :laughing:

So yes I’d lift the bonnet, but doubt I’d find the dipstick there…
And I’d check my washers at the same time as the horn.
After that give the mirrors a good buff, and adjust all of them correctly …

Oh yes sir, I’m a model driver! :open_mouth:
:laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

andy_s:
I get the walk round checks etc. but just wondered seeing as they generally use more modern wagons, do they expect you to lift the hood and physically check the likes of water, oil, brake fluid, washer levels etc?

Do you want the job or not? :open_mouth:
In an assessment why would you not do an ■■■■ comprehensive vehicle check? :laughing:

So yes I’d lift the bonnet, but doubt I’d find the dipstick there…
And I’d check my washers at the same time as the horn.
After that give the mirrors a good buff, and adjust all of them correctly …

Oh yes sir, I’m a model driver! :open_mouth:
:laughing:

Might have to look for 2 dipsticks,could be 1 holding the bonnet up lol :smiley:

Daytrunker:
Might have to look for 2 dipsticks,could be 1 holding the bonnet up lol :smiley:

But only if they don’t say:

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with this vehicle, can you help me locate X, Y & Z…

It doesn’t matter how you check the oil level on a truck, but you won’t get a dipstick under the bonnet of a DAF CF.
In the assessment, you just tick every box that’s on the assessor’s check sheet, which for a Newbie can be hard! :confused:
A Newbie hasn’t a prayer of blagging an assessment, so you do it by the book…
What does a lackadaisical attitude hint at? :wink:
You not getting the job! :open_mouth:

Just joined Samworths and the vehicle checks are paramount. Gross misconduct if not done properly and sacked.

I’d do everything and get into the habit of doing everything not only for them to see your doing it but for your own safety.

We’ve had one of our double deckers stationary and it got hit. Vosa came out and lifted the double deckers air suspension up to find two tyres with wire showing. So it’s important to check everything for peace of mind.

One thing one lads got me doing is topping up the screen wash every night after all its a legal requirement and you don’t want ■■■■ weather and no screen wash.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:
Just joined Samworths and the vehicle checks are paramount. Gross misconduct if not done properly and sacked.

I’d do everything and get into the habit of doing everything not only for them to see your doing it but for your own safety.

We’ve had one of our double deckers stationary and it got hit. Vosa came out and lifted the double deckers air suspension up to find two tyres with wire showing. So it’s important to check everything for peace of mind.

One thing one lads got me doing is topping up the screen wash every night after all its a legal requirement and you don’t want [zb] weather and no screen wash.

And we have a winner! :stuck_out_tongue:
The second you roll out the yard, your wallet is on the line… :unamused:
2 tyres with wire showing is funny though, what a spanner! :laughing:
No sympathy! :open_mouth:

As for the screen wash, you sure he isn’t training you so he never has to? :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

JaxDemon:

One thing one lads got me doing is topping up the screen wash every night after all its a legal requirement and you don’t want [zb] weather and no screen wash.

And we have a winner! [emoji14]
The second you roll out the yard, your wallet is on the line… :unamused:
2 tyres with wire showing is funny though, what a spanner! [emoji38]
No sympathy! :open_mouth:

As for the screen wash, you sure he isn’t training you so he never has to? :wink:

Haha ya never know.

As Evil said,if you dont know ask,look for what you need if you cant see ask.

Of course we dont fill the check sheet in while doing the paperwork in the office,then find the truck then check it that would be terrible :open_mouth: :smiley: lol.

Cheers all. Tried to steer clear of the Agency that would put me on coop cage work as another agency keeps my hand in with a haulage company a few times a week, sometimes more… but it’s starting to get to a case of getting told a time to go in, I go in and then it’s cancelled… phone call later in the day to arrange work for the next day, then a bit later another call asking can I go in within the next hour… I know it’s the way of agency but I think with the coop at least I will have a little stability regarding a home life (hopefully)