Daily check confusion

Just done the first day of my ADR course and something that the tutor said was "daily checks are required by law at the start of every shift,20 minutes other work must be shown and by law you must fill out a daily defect check list.how much of this is true? I thought the only requirement was that you do your daily checks? Must you fill out a defect check list?

The impression im under is ,it isnt law,to be on your card …BUT its handy for it to show on your card in case someone gets ‘a bit arsey’…but I may be wrong

If you get pulled by VOSA for say, a duff light and you say "it was working when I set out this morning’ they will look at your tacho. If there’s not about 15 mins of other work at the start of the shift, they will say that you didn’t check the vehicle properly.

Guess what happens after that?

Not a word of it is true.
A daily check should be conducted once in each 24 hour period. This can be before you start, during, or after, or mixture of all three.
There is no specific time that should be spent doing it.

Yes limeyphil that’s what I thought,is it required by law to fill out a defect book?

GasGas:
If you get pulled by VOSA for say, a duff light and you say "it was working when I set out this morning’ they will look at your tacho. If there’s not about 15 mins of other work at the start of the shift, they will say that you didn’t check the vehicle properly.

Guess what happens after that?

What about in my case?

Double manned and takes us 5 minutes to check everything between us.

Were usually rolling in less than 10 minutes after putting our cards in.

There is nothing written in law about defect sheets or doing vehicle checks but there are laws covering a driver who gets caught with a defect

I just show 15 mins of a check, leave the tacho in other work mode, then you “covered” your self if you get a “tug”.
If you are in the same truck all week, you will be aware of any leaks or faults, so you may need less time to do a proper check.
In my opinion, if you have a fatal RTC and the ■■■ hits the fan, it could be jail time by not doing any checks.
Each time i stop for a break i check the pin on the 5 th wheel, you never know if a disgruntled ex employee has a chip on his shoulder and will get great pleasure by your loaded trailer being dropped because he did not get paid.
The Phantom Pin Puller or the PPP, think of that each time, some kids off a school bus with knowledge of this could do it for a mobile phone footage prank and put you on You Tube or the Tv news that night.

I am more confused with question on the form : Speed Limiter working ? Try to check it when stationary. :smiley:

Trickie:
Just done the first day of my ADR course and something that the tutor said was "daily checks are required by law at the start of every shift,20 minutes other work must be shown and by law you must fill out a daily defect check list.how much of this is true? I thought the only requirement was that you do your daily checks? Must you fill out a defect check list?

Told the other day they want 10 mins on our tachos,was always 15 mins,no mention of whether legal or not,just what company wants

I haven’t filled out a defect sheet for 6 months.
I’m in the same truck every day, no one else drives it. I do my checks twice a day, once thoroughly in the morning and often a glance around when I’m loading unloading during the day.

See
businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … hiness.pdf

Page 11 onwards.

If there is a defect, it must be reported in writing.

Checks when you take the vehicle over or every 24 hours.

Check every time you pick up a trailer

NB some operators have a 'zero defect ’ check, where you have to perform a check and record it on paper, even if everything is OK. Sometimes thy have to do this as a condition of retaining their O licence if they have been naughty in the past.

It makes sense to check the vehicle at the start of the shift: someone may have nicked your lighbulbs or a tyre may have gone flat.

I spend a couple of minutes looking round thats it, ■■■■ knows what all these people that spend 10mins or claim to be spending are doing.

i was having this discussion earlier with the driver trainer at the place i run out of, he said that you MUST take 15 minutes to do the daily walk round checks, he also said that it is illegal to take your break whilst sat in the drivers seat :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mind you, he would not repeat what he had just said when i got my phone out to record him saying it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Saaamon:
I spend a couple of minutes looking round thats it, [zb] knows what all these people that spend 10mins or claim to be spending are doing.

If you cover all bases and take your check sheet round, that takes 10 mins at least.

I do my checks when I start work. Get in, card in, set up the nav and phone, pull it off the bay, walk around it kicking tyres and making sure lights are on. Check the load is secure and close up the back.

Then I go and get a coffee, fill out the form, have a ■■■, showing 20 mins of other work.

Things like speed limiter working and that sort of thing are checked off on the form when you get back to the depot.

dar1976:

Saaamon:
I spend a couple of minutes looking round thats it, [zb] knows what all these people that spend 10mins or claim to be spending are doing.

If you cover all bases and take your check sheet round, that takes 10 mins at least.

If you’ve never seen the truck before i agree, but i drive the same one everyday so i check the lights, tyres are ok, wheel nuts nothing hanging off, look around the bits i can get to and that it all looks ok but it doesnt take me 5 mins let alone 10.

I think this comes down to the operators licence. As if vosa inspect your firm they will want to see proof that drivers are carrying out daily checks and nil defect returns as stated In the vosa guide to roadworthiness. Hence your sheet and your other work on your card prove the firm is compliant. Just the TM watching his arse.

Youngy:
I think this comes down to the operators licence. As if vosa inspect your firm they will want to see proof that drivers are carrying out daily checks and nil defect returns as stated In the vosa guide to roadworthiness. Hence your sheet and your other work on your card prove the firm is compliant. Just the TM watching his arse.

Its also the TM who is scheduling you a six o’clock start, for an eight o’clock booking time, three hours drive away!

I say sod the ■■■■■■■ and take my time, I even do 40 on single carriageway NSLs!

Saaamon:

Lights (including brake & fog lights), tyres, wheel nuts (visual or twist with hand), fluid levels (oil, coolant, screen wash visual or dash display), wipers & washers working, tax disc, operators license ( unit and trailer), trailer MOT plate, number plates match, auxiliary equipment (Taillift, crane, PTO’s etc).

Better tuck that blue vest with a big yellow “S” on a red shield into your shirt Saaamon, your secret identity is showing. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: