Daily annoyance at service stations!

Les Shoes:

F-reds:

Les Shoes:

Rowley010:
Also if you can move it, stop and put it back on break in under 30 seconds it won’t reset your break.

Careful handing out advice like that as it is not true for all versions of tachos or all makes either…

Really? My bad :blush:
I guess if you’re not sure if it works on yours then try it 15 minutes into a 45 minute break

Whether your tacho resets or not when Mr Vosa or plod download your head it will show the movement and you will be found to have taken insufficient break

Les Shoes:

Rowley010:
I do understand why it happens but it is annoying none the less. Everybody wants/needs their break and when you come in you park where ever you can, then when someone’s else moves that often means your then blocking spaces but you can’t move without coming off your break and resetting it

If you are there for a 45 there’s no reason you can’t move it after 15 minutes if you wanted to.
Also if you can move it, stop and put it back on break in under 30 seconds it won’t reset your break.

My tacho does this. But I’m wary of moving it during my break, even though as you say, it doesn’t show on your card. I know you may only move a few yards, but surely that movement and distance travelled has to be recorded somewhere on the VU. Where does it show up if vosa happened to download the VU?

damoq:

Les Shoes:

Rowley010:
I do understand why it happens but it is annoying none the less. Everybody wants/needs their break and when you come in you park where ever you can, then when someone’s else moves that often means your then blocking spaces but you can’t move without coming off your break and resetting it

If you are there for a 45 there’s no reason you can’t move it after 15 minutes if you wanted to.

My tacho does this. But I’m wary of moving it during my break, even though as you say, it doesn’t show on your card. I know you may only move a few yards, but surely that movement and distance travelled has to be recorded somewhere on the VU. Where does it show up if vosa happened to download the VU?

I’ve done it once, when in a queue, looks real odd because you’re stop starting for about 40 odd metres. Didn’t change the mode on the head unit and the distance may not even show because its so small. Depends on how close you are sitting to the next whole number on the odometer I suppose. Also, depends on what attitude the VOSA person has if they pull you.

damoq:

Les Shoes:

Rowley010:

When they download the head using their plug in device and then upload this to their computer it comes up as infringement, with plod when your card is inserted into their handheld device it again will show up as an infringement.

The point you’re all missing is that it’s perfectly legal to have a 15 minute break, drive a short way then have a 30 minute break :unamused:

Radar19:

damoq:

Les Shoes:

Rowley010:

I’ve done it once, when in a queue, looks real odd because you’re stop starting for about 40 odd metres. Didn’t change the mode on the head unit and the distance may not even show because its so small. Depends on how close you are sitting to the next whole number on the odometer I suppose. Also, depends on what attitude the VOSA person has if they pull you.

The mode on mine (15 plate actros) will actually change from bed to drive, but as long as the drive is less than 30 seconds and you put it back on break immediately, it doesn’t show that you have done any driving if you do a print out. Plus it doesn’t show that your break has been interrupted either.

I did it by moving a few feet then stopping then doing it again. Moved in total about 30-40ft, just longer than the length of my truck. The mode didn’t even switch from bed to drive. Stayed on bed the whole time.

mazzer:
When they download the head using their plug in device and then upload this to their computer it comes up as infringement, with plod when your card is inserted into their handheld device it again will show up as an infringement.

Have you actually seen this happen? The way the head units record driving/working time has changed. Older units would flag a whole minute as “driving time” if the wheels turned at all at any time during that minute - Newer head units only record driving time if the wheels are turning for most of any given minute. If the driver takes no action, the mode will revert to Other Work (and an interruption of his break will be recorded), but if he immediately (i.e. while the crossed hammers are flashing on the head unit) switches back to Break, no interruption to his break will be recorded provided the wheels were only turning for a few seconds. Doesn’t matter who does the downloading.

Les Shoes:
The point you’re all missing is that it’s perfectly legal to have a 15 minute break, drive a short way then have a 30 minute break :unamused:

Don’t think anyone is disputing that but the advice about moving and it not registering is not true so if you take 15 mins then move for 30 seconds and take the remaining 30 mins the head will record this movement this obviously is not an infringement but some people believe that this movement cannot be detected as the taco’s screen has not changed but it can be detected

Les Shoes:

But the point me and others are making, is that on some tachos, you can have a 35min break, move the truck for around 30 seconds, put it back on break immediate for another 10 mins and it will show on your card that you’ve had 45 mins uninterrupted break. Not sure they should be working like that, but they do.

Roymondo:

mazzer:

Have you actually seen this happen? The way the head units record driving/working time has changed. Older units would flag a whole minute as “driving time” if the wheels turned at all at any time during that minute - Newer head units only record driving time if the wheels are turning for most of any given minute. If the driver takes no action, the mode will revert to Other Work (and an interruption of his break will be recorded), but if he immediately (i.e. while the crossed hammers are flashing on the head unit) switches back to Break, no interruption to his break will be recorded provided the wheels were only turning for a few seconds. Doesn’t matter who does the downloading.

Guy at last company I worked was pulled on the M62 by plod his card was downloaded plod asked him why he had driven for over 5 hours with no break, driver said he hadn’t and did a print out for the said time, printout showed a 15 min break followed by a 30 min break yet plods device showed that the 15 min break had been interrupted, the 15 min break was clocked up in a traffic jam by resetting it to bed after two movements in the 15 min period of slow moving traffic result was a £120 fine. The driver knew full well what he had done so therefore knew that plod wasn’t wrong. the lorry he was in was registered in 2012 and so has the head that records accurately

So you haven’t seen it yourself…?

What is recorded on your card, is what is recorded on the VU, is what shows up on the analysis software and handheld devices that the DVSA and your own traffic office use.

You cant register a break on the card and simultaneously somehow have something else registered on the VU. Unless you took the card out and did a naughty manual entry :laughing: (ooooh error Dipper Dave)

Mazzer your mate who attempted to circumvent his break just ballsed it up. And got caught too, double fail!

Roymondo:
So you haven’t seen it yourself…?

FFS the guy had no reason to lie over here we tend to share any info about being stopped as it generally is not a sack able offence to get pulled and fined, just a case of pay the fine and crack on, plus the driver was a good friend and wanted to make sure that it didn’t happen to anyone else. In the same way that he passed on this info I am only doing the same the difference being is that there are plenty of firms in the UK where you would lose your job over an incident like this so surely it is better that people have a bit of a heads as to what can and cannot be detected, and no offence to you but when was the last time you were pulled cos I didn’t see any ships in the weighbridge I was in last Thursday :smiley:

F-reds:
What is recorded on your card, is what is recorded on the VU, is what shows up on the analysis software and handheld devices that the DVSA and your own traffic office use.

You cant register a break on the card and simultaneously somehow have something else registered on the VU. Unless you took the card out and did a naughty manual entry :laughing: (ooooh error Dipper Dave)

Mazzer your mate who attempted to circumvent his break just ballsed it up. And got caught too, double fail!

But if that was the case then he would have stopped before the 4 1/2 mark and took the break because if he ballsed it up it would have told him so.

mazzer:
Guy at last company I worked was pulled on the M62 by plod his card was downloaded plod asked him why he had driven for over 5 hours with no break, driver said he hadn’t and did a print out for the said time, printout showed a 15 min break followed by a 30 min break yet plods device showed that the 15 min break had been interrupted, the 15 min break was clocked up in a traffic jam by resetting it to bed after two movements in the 15 min period of slow moving traffic result was a £120 fine. The driver knew full well what he had done so therefore knew that plod wasn’t wrong. the lorry he was in was registered in 2012 and so has the head that records accurately

The VU is the recording device. The card is storage. Your card shows a break, the VU shows a break. There is no difference. Driver ballsed up as previously said

You can believe it or not makes no odds to me, as someone who has any fines paid by my boss and so has nothing to lose I personally will never attempt to do a quick shunt and show it as break

No need for any trickery theatrics. Most sensible people don’t drive to bang on 4:30.

If you had driven even 4.25 then were 15 mins into a 45 break, or 17 mins or even 20, you could then then spend 1-2 mins moving forwards as long as you took 30 mins break following that, you’re legal. No need for the trickery. No need for a straight 45 as long as you pay attention. It’s classed as a split break.

You sacrifice anything above the first 15 mins and what you spend moving but that’s up to you and judgement, isn’t it.

9970:
I’ve also pulled into services where there has been a lot of empty spaces yet many still park and block up the coach parking, is this down to laziness and not eating to walk lol

I often park in coach park as only want toilet ,5/10 mins , if I went in truck park I’m taking up a space for driver who might have to have a break/ need a spot for daily rest

Freight Dog:
No need for any trickery theatrics. Most sensible people don’t drive to bang on 4:30.

If you had driven even 4.25 then were 15 mins into a 45 break, or 17 mins or even 20, you could then then spend 1-2 mins moving forwards as long as you took 30 mins break following that, you’re legal. No need for the trickery. No need for a straight 45 as long as you pay attention. It’s classed as a split break.

You sacrifice anything above the first 15 mins and what you spend moving but that’s up to you and judgement, isn’t it.

That’s not really the point though - it would be somewhat annoying to have managed to squeeze in 40+ minutes of break on a London side street only to have the clock reset to 15 minutes and so have to spend another 30 minutes parked up in a warden-rich environment just because you were good enough to move the lorry 10 yards to let someone in/out.