DAF XG 72plt to old XF 68plt questions

Due to a change off job in a weeks time I will be driving a DAF XG mirrorless on a 72 plt I think either 480 or 500 doing containers
I’m currently driving a 68 XF 480 with 520k on clock
What differences would I expect ?
What’s the mirror cams like and tips on getting the best out of them ?
Can I still play warning light bingo ? :laughing:

I need to stop drinking , I read it as 72 pallet
Anyway I drive them on a regular basic though they’ve actual mirrors , so can’t help you on cameras , the fact you have to push the brake pedal every time you want to put it into gear gets on my nerves , the windows not going fully down is another thing that gets on my nerves , they seem gutless , 530 / 480 ( or is it a 460 ) , had warnings , stop swivel seat not locked , went in garage thurs as window switch packed up
But they are a nice drive to be honest , seem comfortable
But still by a country mile prefer the scanias I get to use , everything seems a step up

Dash is easy to understand , good for us old ones

No cd , and the choice of channels is atrocious, nothing for us older ones , put this dance Chanel , I’ve got bloody earache

blue estate:
Due to a change off job in a weeks time I will be driving a DAF XG mirrorless on a 72 plt I think either 480 or 500 doing containers
I’m currently driving a 68 XF 480 with 520k on clock
What differences would I expect ?
What’s the mirror cams like and tips on getting the best out of them ?
Can I still play warning light bingo ? :laughing:

If it has the glass panel in the N/S door then the N/S window will only go halfway down
Mirror cam wise i have only driven them on roadtests ,I personally got used to them reasonably quickly ,what i did at first was look by the monitor for a mirror…What i think may be a problem .is drivers because you can’t actually see the mirror will forget they are there and work on the theory of i can get the cab through that gap,when in fact you can’t as you have a set of cameras sticking out above you…Some sort of marker to show the true width of the vehicle may be a good idea ,and i think the cameras are reasonably tough…Any issues and the drivers manual is in the infotainment system

Absolutely, warning light bingo is still a thing on new gen dafs, in driving rain you’ll have no less than 6 warning lights active at a time.

I spoke to a daf fitter once before, he said all the sensors are connected, once on goes they all go.

Mirrorless mirrors are horrible, you can’t judge distance backwards while reversing and even turning on roundabouts can’t really judge if you are starting to come in too close.

Night vision in the mirrorless mirrors seems their best feature, you seem to be able to see slightly more on a un-lit motorway and night than you would with normal mirrors.

Inside new gen dafs are the same as old gen unless you pick lcd instrument cluster.

They still have no power and are crap.

I was given the keys for a xg , I changed it for a old scania , it’s not just the mrs who likes her CD player !!

Turns out now I’m going in to a 70plt XF , Happy days as that’s an old shape so no new mats or seat covers to buy

dozy:
No cd , and the choice of channels is atrocious, nothing for us older ones , put this dance Chanel , I’ve got bloody earache

I don’t think he wants to wear Chanel when driving or dance to the smell.

dozy:
I was given the keys for a xg , I changed it for a old scania , it’s not just the mrs who likes her CD player !!

That reminded me of Jack and the Beanstalk, when he takes the cow to market.

blue estate:
Turns out now I’m going in to a 70plt XF , Happy days as that’s an old shape so no new mats or seat covers to buy

You lucky man , I’ve got a 72 plate xf with mirror cam and a ■■■■■ window in the door and hate the thing with a passion , it was off road for near 4 weeks with mirror cam problems and a dodgy window , in the time I was given a 23 plate iveco s way with mirrors and apart from the crappy brakes I’d have gladly kept it

Honestly don’t see the problem with the mirror cams lol.

md1987:

No pun intended there eh :smiley:

largebloke1969:

md1987:

No pun intended there eh :smiley:

Hahaha