DAF XF105 460 Manual 58 Reg - Any opinion

We are planning to buy a couple of DAF XF105 460 58 reg manual box for export. However we do not have any experience with these models. We have a number of older XF 95s which have not disappointed.

I would be grateful for any opinion, wrt performance and common problems.

Reading on the forum, I gather, checking the turbo when it was last done, would be the first thing to look out for.

Bullet proof.
I’m not a mechanic. So take my opinion as an interested amateur. The 460 doesn’t share the head problems of earlier 480s. Turbos can and will go on any engine. Gearbox good but an idiot can cook a clutch on any truck. Some trouble with trunking splitting and water ingress in wiring looms but maybe that was sorted by this year? Maybe a bit of tin worm around the bottom of the cab. Cab mounts can be rattly.
Just my opinion, but good no nonsense trucks.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Bullet proof.
I’m not a mechanic. So take my opinion as an interested amateur. The 460 doesn’t share the head problems of earlier 480s. Turbos can and will go on any engine. Gearbox good but an idiot can cook a clutch on any truck. Some trouble with trunking splitting and water ingress in wiring looms but maybe that was sorted by this year? Maybe a bit of tin worm around the bottom of the cab. Cab mounts can be rattly.
Just my opinion, but good no nonsense trucks.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Very useful info Franglais. Thanks for this.

Wasn’t sorted by that year. Those were what they had where I’m at before they replaced them in 2014 with Euro 6 CF 460s. They all had over a million km on by the time they were changed and whilst the mechanics were fine the electrics used to have their moments usually coming up as silly faults indicated on the dash rather than any actual breakdown. I did drive one where the prop shaft centre bearing carrier departed company from the chassis which answered a riddle the mechanics had been trying to solve for ages where you’d start the day, it’d vibrate at speed for the first hour or so, there’d be a loud knock and then it was OK for the rest of the shift but other than that and the normal wear and tear you’d expect on a million km they ran OK.

Oh just to add…drivers door hinges wearing but these were wagons that were double shifted with the doors opened and closed easily 20-30 times a day.

If your exporting them what does it matter ?

MX engine came out in late 2006 fine for first year or so then they dropped like flies, big oil consumption issues, turbos failing filling intake tract with engine oil and bending no6 rod and filling scr cat with oil wrecking it, cam followers twisting and wrecking the camshaft, the list was endless.
Oil pressure problems from oil pump relief valve coming loose (easy but messy fix) or rear pto plug coming loose (massive job) or coolant gauze blocking up (5 minutes to fix) causing oil to overheat

Then of course there were the electrical issues alongside the scr system!

Where I now work we only have two both 2011 year and both had turbos about 750k, one failed other replaced as Daf doing a deal, both are on a million now and run well, but both are only 410bhp so not exactly stressed.

I would say 99 percent of the ones that went wrong were 460bhp models as they were the most popular bhp by a long way.

The newer MX11 engine again was fine for the first year (2014 onwards) or so and now they are failing all over the shop, back to dafs back on the road and sometimes dont make it 5 miles before breaking down again, no mechanical faults all the control/emissions/fuel side of things.